Utah Public Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ThorEdson said:
At Tim Dahle Nissan, we don't Lock our Lot or the Chargers. Stop By and Say "Hi". I'm Thor by the way and I have been waiting for this car for Years and I Love It!
Thor, welcome to the forum. How many charge stations do you have outdoors ?

Salt Lake City to build 1 megawatt solar farm
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57186577-90/bennett-build-building-energy.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just sent the mayor an email asking him to include 3 or 4 EV charging stations at the solar farm. It would be a great way to reduce air pollution in the city.
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg

This is the reply I got back from the Salt Lake City Mayors office.
Dear Mr. Dansie,

Thanks for your interest in the solar farm. We are extremely excited to get this project moving forward.

We are considering additional places where EV charging stations could be placed; unfortunately the solar farm won't be in an area where the public is allowed, but we may be able to transfer some of the renewable energy credits to some of our existing or new charging stations in the future to make them "green". We are still evaluating the final energy needs of the Public Safety Building, then we will have a better idea as to if any solar energy will be left over.

Thanks for the input!

VICKI BENNETT
Director

DIVISION of SUSTAINABILITY and the ENVIRONMENT
SALT LAKE CITY CORPORATION

TEL 801-535-6540
FAX 801-535-7963

www,SLCGREEN.com
SLC Green on Facebook
SLC Green on Twitter

Plug share now shows several of the Utah Nissan dealers as having a DC QC installed.

Today I stopped by Tim Dahle Murray to ask about it. The person at the service desk said they had one newly installed on the north side of the building, but that it was not operational yet.

I walked around to the north side of the building and found the charge station. It is there and it really is a DC QC. I did not try and use it, but it looked like the install was near complete to me. I will try and stop by again next week and find out more information.

Smiths Market place grocery store in Salt Lake City at the 5th south and 5th east location now has an EV charge station.
J1772 plug and it is free for customer use. No access card required. It is always on, contrary to what the sign says on the wall.
IMG_0001.jpg

Salt Lake City will soon have 2 quick charge stations. They are located on 5th south, by the city library.

Not operational just yet, but they should be completed by the end of April.

IMG_0005.jpg

This is the note that I received from the city.
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your interest in our new charging stations. We are still awaiting some components, but hope to have the stations active later this month. The SLC City Council will also be considering a fee schedule proposal related to the stations in the coming weeks.

The City is considering some media related events to announce the stations; however, feel free to contact me in the interim with questions.

Thanks.

TYLER POULSON
Sustainability Program Manager

DIVISION of SUSTAINABILITY and the ENVIRONMENT
SALT LAKE CITY CORPORATION

OFFICE 801.535.7259
CELL 801.898.3235

Salt Lake County is getting into the act a few days before Salt Lake City. From the county web page.
Electric Vehicle Fast-Charger Now Available to the Public

Electric vehicle owners can “fast-charge” at the Salt Lake County government center
• The fast-charging station is the first along the Wasatch Front
• A vehicle can go from zero to fully charged in under 20 minutes
• The cost is a flat $2 plus 20 cents per kilowatt, plus tax. – That’s about $5 for a full charge!

Come down to 2001 South State Street in Salt Lake City, in the southeast parking lot to use the fast-charge station.

The fast-charging station was made possible because local and state government came together to make steps to eliminate the bad air days that occur during winter inversions. Salt Lake County received grants totaling $39,600 from UCAIR and the Utah Office of Energy Development for installation of ABB, Inc.

Why can't we get a charge station somewhere were we could go to lunch and/or shop, like City Creek? They just build this new mall, but there are no charge stations in it!

tcherniaev said:
Why can't we get a charge station somewhere were we could go to lunch and/or shop, like City Creek? They just build this new mall, but there are no charge stations in it!
Yes I agree, City Creek would be a good location. Have you tried calling them and asking for charge stations ?

Tested out the new charge station at the county building last night. You need to have a RFID card from
http://greenlots.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or call the number on the machine with your cell phone. The calling was a pain as the thing does not release at the end. You have call to start and stop the session. I ordered a card for next time.

IMG_0012a.jpg

What do you think about the pricing at the county quick charge station. I think they got it right. It costs more than charging at home, but not a lot more.
The cost is a flat $2 plus 20 cents per kilowatt, plus tax. – That’s about $5 for a full charge!
All the details are here.
http://slco.org/mayor/html/SustainableSLCo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tcherniaev said:
Salt Lake City has been upgrading their public charge stations to J1772 plugs. Here is a picture of the one on 300 south between State and Main.
There are plenty of good places to eat within walking distance of this charge station.

IMG_0017.jpg

The new Salt Lake City quick chargers are now online. 2 stations on 500 south between 200 and 300 east. Very nice installation.
Price for now is FREE. This will change I am sure.
Enjoy
IMG_0019.jpg

The charge station at Walgreens on Redwood and 4700 south has been vandalized. I reported the problem to sema charge and I reported it to car charging group.

IMG_0025.jpg

Salt Lake city had a press release yesterday on the new fast charging stations on 500 south. The Tribune article is here.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57967591-90/allow-among-charge-charging.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new 480-volt stations, donated by Nissan and installed using funds from the state Office of Energy Development and the Utah Clean Air Partnership, are among the first of their kind in Utah. Located at 255 E. 500 South, they also add to the capital city’s charging station array at five existing charging stations.

Details for all the charge stations built on city property can be found here.
http://www.slcgov.com/transportation/transportation-electric-vehicle-charging-stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJD said:
The charge station at Walgreens on Redwood and 4700 south has been vandalized. I reported the problem to sema charge and I reported it to car charging group.

I saw a similar damaged charge station at Walgreens in Oregon City (1310 MOLALLA AVE Oregon City OR 97045). I was still up and kind of working. I was stupid enough to plug in. I used LeafSpy and I noticed that pushing the release button on the handle did not stop the charging. I know that my home Blink does. I was afraid to unplug and I actually waited until I reached 80% and the car stopped charging.

Do all Sema Charging station behave the same? Are they counting on the shorter pilot pin to turn off power when unpluging?

P.S. There were two Blinks station just 300' away. I should have checked PlugShare before pluging in.

camasleaf said:
KJD said:
I saw a similar damaged charge station at Walgreens in Oregon City (1310 MOLALLA AVE Oregon City OR 97045). I was still up and kind of working. I was stupid enough to plug in. I used LeafSpy and I noticed that pushing the release button on the handle did not stop the charging. I know that my home Blink does. I was afraid to unplug and I actually waited until I reached 80% and the car stopped charging.
Do all Sema Charging station behave the same? Are they counting on the shorter pilot pin to turn off power when unpluging?
P.S. There were two Blinks station just 300' away. I should have checked PlugShare before pluging in.
All I can say is carcharging.com is really a horrible company. I stopped out to redwood road a few days ago and this station was still the same as when I reported it over a month ago.

KJD said:
The new Salt Lake City quick chargers are now online. 2 stations on 500 south between 200 and 300 east. Very nice installation.
Enjoy

Has anyone successfully used these quick-chargers? I don't use QC that often, but whenever I try, one says it's out of order and one says it works but doesn't. I always end up at Ken Garff Nissan, where I've never had a problem.

nsps said:
KJD said:
Enjoy
Has anyone successfully used these quick-chargers? I don't use QC that often, but whenever I try, one says it's out of order and one says it works but doesn't. I always end up at Ken Garff Nissan, where I've never had a problem.
These stations do NOT work. Please call the city and complain. I have been complaining about this since the end of June and they still act like no one ever has reported the problem. The people in facilities department do not seem to care.
http://mayor.slcgov.com/?page_id=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back