The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, just a quick question for those in the know. I bought a used 2011 Leaf SV last month, 26k miles and a 2 bar loser. Have had it for 30 days now and I love it! However, gotta wonder about this south Texas weather and my battery health for the future. Does anyone know, as a secondhand owner, do I still qualify for the 60k battery warranty?

Yep! It's 5 years or 60K miles regardless.

cliffzig said:
Hello all, just a quick question for those in the know. I bought a used 2011 Leaf SV last month, 26k miles and a 2 bar loser. Have had it for 30 days now and I love it! However, gotta wonder about this south Texas weather and my battery health for the future. Does anyone know, as a secondhand owner, do I still qualify for the 60k battery warranty?

cliffzig said:

may I ask what you paid for it , I am looking to sell mine and curious as to the price range that is fair.

Thanks

mksE55 said:
may I ask what you paid for it , I am looking to sell mine and curious as to the price range that is fair.

Thanks

$16.9K, Certified Pre-Owned from Gunn Nissan in San Antonio. Who knows what they gave for the trade-in. Also, no idea what a private party sale would fetch.

Could anyone that has gone through the battery replacement provide any specifics I should do prior to taking my car to the dealer? I lost the 4th bar this week. I have the Nissan Spy Lite but don't really know what all the abbreviations mean. In other words, is there any data I should record on my current battery before taking it to the dealer? I see in other's threads discussion about GIDS and LBW and volts. Does the Spy Lite give that information? I only see "SOC, Hx, Amps and volts"

Thank you! Also, anyone receive a voucher for the hot battery yet?

scubasandy said:
Could anyone that has gone through the battery replacement provide any specifics I should do prior to taking my car to the dealer? I lost the 4th bar this week. I have the Nissan Spy Lite but don't really know what all the abbreviations mean. In other words, is there any data I should record on my current battery before taking it to the dealer? I see in other's threads discussion about GIDS and LBW and volts. Does the Spy Lite give that information? I only see "SOC, Hx, Amps and volts"
Thank you! Also, anyone receive a voucher for the hot battery yet?
Stoaty wrote up a wiki page on LEAF Spy and it will explain the screens.
http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Leaf_Battery_Application" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is your amp hour reading from screen 1. Ahr=??
How many miles on the car ?

I'm joining the battery replacement club. I lost my 4th capacity bar on 4/14/2014, having driven the LEAF as my primary vehicle for almost 3 years. I had learned of the 2013 warranty being applied to the 2011/12 models about two months ago (not exactly up on my LEAF news, I know). I wasn't sure what to expect, in terms of capacity loss, whether it was a linear decline, accelerated, decelerated...just figured I'd have a good chance to qualify for the replacement with 2 years and 12,000 miles to go at the time.

My work commute is about 70 miles roundtrip. From the beginning, I charged the LEAF to 100%. For the first 2.25 years, I was able to drive my 20 miles surface streets and 50 miles freeway commute with just charging at home (240v schnieder electric). Then, I needed to charge at work (on 120v) to make it to work and back. Currently, I charge about 7 hours at work to be at full bars...returning home with between 2 and 3 bars.

I didn't really track when I started to lose capacity bars, but think I lost the first bar after about 1.25 years and 20K miles. I lost the second bar within a few months of the first. The third bar, well, I don't really recall when I lost that, but it was within this past year.

I had a couple of outstanding recall notices on the LEAF, so I took it into the dealership this past weekend (Nissan of Simi Valley). I asked about the battery replacement program, which they've heard of, but have never done one there. After doing the recall fixes/updates and battery performance test, they agreed that I was eligible (probably) for a new battery. Nissan service now needs to call "Tech Line" (their term) to determine exactly what they need to do next. They have asked that I bring my LEAF into their service department when they are on the phone with Tech Line, so I have a scheduled date/time this Wednesday for that. I assume, if I'm cleared for a battery, I'll be scheduling an appointment for the battery swap to take place, and have been told that I'll likely get a loaner car while this is happening (depending on if Tech Line says it's okay for a loaner).

It's very early stages right now, but so far my experience with the service folks at Simi Valley Nissan has been favorable. I'll ask them about the "hot weather" battery pack voucher program, and report back here after my next visit with them.

It's interesting that you are a 4BL... My car is slightly older than yours and about the same mileage, and is just about to become a 3BL... I'm anticipating becoming a 4BL sometime this fall or winter...

danmeljeff said:
I'm joining the battery replacement club. I lost my 4th capacity bar on 4/14/2014, having driven the LEAF as my primary vehicle for almost 3 years.

Based on some recommendations by others in this forum, I opted to open up a case with NoGasEV before I went back into the service department for my followup appointment.

As luck had it, I wound up being connected with the guy in charge of handling all battery replacements. He's the guy Nissan Service departments call when opening up cases for replacements. He said he'll contact my service department, and if they've already run the battery diagnostics, he'll get a battery sent out right away (and I won't even need to go back to the dealership until they're ready to do the swap).

I asked him about the "hot weather" battery, and he said that while it's something Nissan is working on, they are nowhere close to having something ready for release. He said I could wait to do the battery replacement if the current range of my leaf wasn't an issue, and perhaps wait until I get closer to the end of the warranty period. I then asked if there is any validity to the "voucher program" for owners who get their LEAF battery replaced with new-old tech battery and then get another free swap-out when the "hot weather" battery is released. He said that isn't something he's heard of, but does know there have been claims made (mostly on forums, but too in a Q&A session held with owners) about such a program. I let him know I saw postings from Brian Brockman suggesting a mid 2014 release date for the "hot weather" battery, and that I think he too mentioned the voucher program, but wasn't 100% certain if those were words directly from Brian.

Another couple of tidbits I picked up. First, the battery my 2011 LEAF will get as a replacement is a brand new battery from Japan. The technology is the same as the 2011/12 model, because the battery pack itself is different from the 2013 model (2013 model is slimmed down a bit, he said).

As it stands now, my NoGasEV rep is going to followup with me tomorrow, to let me now if the battery diagnostics have been run and what my next steps are.

It's interesting that you are a 4BL... My car is slightly older than yours and about the same mileage, and is just about to become a 3BL... I'm anticipating becoming a 4BL sometime this fall or winter...

I haven't done my battery any favors. I charge to 100% daily, and it sits in the hot San Fernando Valley sun 5 days a week. I live in an area that is typically 10-15 degrees cooler than the valley, and charge after midnight...so at least when it's charging at home the conditions aren't too bad. I'm not sure how much terrain plays a part in the battery capacity loss, but I live atop a hill, and crest the santa susana pass daily.

Jeff you bring up a good point in that spirited driving could be as detrimental as bad charging habits. A daily hill climb would have the same effect

Does spirited driving or a prolonged hill climb actually warm up the battery noticeably, or towing? I thought I read somewhere that Car & Driver ran the leaf for 10 miles at close to 90 mph on a track and it didn't "overheat" but I do wonder how warm the pack got. Not that I would ever be able to have that much fun, just wondering :)

danmeljeff said:

I haven't done my battery any favors. I charge to 100% daily, and it sits in the hot San Fernando Valley sun 5 days a week. I live in an area that is typically 10-15 degrees cooler than the valley, and charge after midnight...so at least when it's charging at home the conditions aren't too bad. I'm not sure how much terrain plays a part in the battery capacity loss, but I live atop a hill, and crest the santa susana pass daily.

Thanks for posting your experience! I will be watching your progress with interest.

I am a new 2014 Leaf owner living in Woodland Hills, where it gets HOT in the summer. (Up to 110 deg F for, I dunno, a dozen or so days during the summer.) My Leaf will always be parked in the garage at home, so it won't be in direct sunlight. . . but still that garage can get pretty hot inside. (At work it will be parked in an underground garage, so no heat issues there.)

Since I purchased instead of leased, (leasing was more expensive over the long term every way I ran the numbers) I am hoping to become a 4BL just before my 60k miles are up. After capacity warranty is up, my plan would be do put up with any degradation for as long as I can, and when it's unbearable I'll join the battery replacement program. (My roundtrip commute is 44 miles, so the battery can degrade by 40% before it keeps me from a round-trip commute. . . plus I can charge at work.)

danmeljeff said:
I asked him about the "hot weather" battery, and he said that while it's something Nissan is working on, they are nowhere close to having something ready for release. He said I could wait to do the battery replacement if the current range of my leaf wasn't an issue, and perhaps wait until I get closer to the end of the warranty period. I then asked if there is any validity to the "voucher program" for owners who get their LEAF battery replaced with new-old tech battery and then get another free swap-out when the "hot weather" battery is released. He said that isn't something he's heard of, but does know there have been claims made (mostly on forums, but too in a Q&A session held with owners) about such a program. I let him know I saw postings from Brian Brockman suggesting a mid 2014 release date for the "hot weather" battery, and that I think he too mentioned the voucher program, but wasn't 100% certain if those were words directly from Brian.

This is VERY disconcerting: how can someone (who reportedly works on battery back replacement claims) be so disconnected from what we've been talking about on this forum for the better part of a year? Is the "hot pack" battery real or not!

danmeljeff said:
The LEAF battery has a very large thermal mass and cools down extremely slowly. The time in the cooler garage probably doesn't help very much.

BrockWI said:
Does spirited driving or a prolonged hill climb actually warm up the battery noticeably, or towing? I thought I read somewhere that Car & Driver ran the leaf for 10 miles at close to 90 mph on a track and it didn't "overheat" but I do wonder how warm the pack got. Not that I would ever be able to have that much fun, just wondering :)
Yes, "spirited driving" or climbing hills warms the battery very noticeably because of the high kW discharge. While I am the opposite of a spirited driver most of the time, I have to climb hills all the time and I think that extra heat in the battery is contributing to degradation despite my cool mountain climate, low mileage and speeds that never exceed 60 mph. Driving uphill I can watch the battery temperature rise even when ambient temperature is at or somewhat below the battery temp.

Stanton said:
This is VERY disconcerting: how can someone (who reportedly works on battery back replacement claims) be so disconnected from what we've been talking about on this forum for the better part of a year? Is the "hot pack" battery real or not!
Easy - the "hot pack" is really a figment of our imaginations and our desperate attempt to justify our purchase of a Nissan LEAF. In other words, we are all going insane talking about the same thing day in / day out expecting Nissan to do something different! The sane ones have sold their LEAF for another plug-in, or simply accepted that Nissan will never do anything for original owners who have lost more capacity than expected.

drees said:
Easy - the "hot pack" is really a figment of our imaginations and our desperate attempt to justify our purchase of a Nissan LEAF. In other words, we are all going insane talking about the same thing day in / day out expecting Nissan to do something different! The sane ones have sold their LEAF for another plug-in, or simply accepted that Nissan will never do anything for original owners who have lost more capacity than expected.
Feeling a bit cynical today drees? You may well be right, although I was hoping for better from Nissan. Silly me. Oh well, I have enjoyed driving my LEAF over the last couple of years, even if it has been a very expensive ride compared to just driving the ICE car.

Back