LEAFStat iPhone/iPad app to monitor battery status etc.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks DM33!!

So if I understand correctly, I get one of these things (OBDii WiFi), and it appears to matter which one, I can connect to my Leaf more easily than the Nissan app that sends messages to the car, and then informs me once information has been updated?

Is it worth it, in anyone's humble opinion? :)

hawkeye1824 said:
Thanks DM33!!

So if I understand correctly, I get one of these things (OBDii WiFi), and it appears to matter which one, I can connect to my Leaf more easily than the Nissan app that sends messages to the car, and then informs me once information has been updated?

Is it worth it, in anyone's humble opinion? :)
Its intended for a different purpose than the Nissan app.

The Nissan app uses Carwings to send messages to the car via a cellular connection. You can be anywhere in the world and communicate with the car. It lets you turn AC on. It reports the state of charge represented in the number of bars like in the car.

LEAFstat connects directly to the car and obtains information that is not displayed otherwise. It is not displayed on the dashboard, its not displayed via Carwings. The information is mostly fields that have been discovered by this community regarding the battery, including an indication of state of health, % of original capacity, battery temperature and tire pressure.

Actually, it's an ODBII transmitter, which transmits it's data over WiFi. Plugs into the ODBII connector on your car.

http://www.amazon.com/ELM327-WIFI-OBD-Automotive-Diagnostics/dp/B00AQ99UQ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not to be confused with exactly the same item, but which transmits over Bluetooth!

Weird. I'm missing a whole bunch of responses in this thread from this question being asked and me responding. Don't know why. Sorry for duplicating previous effort!

Nubo said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVV60HI/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Fulfilled by Amazon. It's already shipped.

On those rare occasions when I don't drive the car for more than 3 days, I can just disconnect it.

I can confirm this unit seems to work with Leaf Stat.

The tall units do protrude into the leg space a bit. I can live with it but an unfamiliar driver could snag it. Might be best to get a cable or a low profile unit in such cases.

Nubo said:
I was just about to also. But... "shipping speed: 17 to 28 business days"?

Uh, no.

update: I figured having a switch wasn't as big a deal as waiting a month and a half for the slow boat from "Jeff-Store". So I'll be trying out this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVV60HI/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Fulfilled by Amazon. It's already shipped.

On those rare occasions when I don't drive the car for more than 3 days, I can just disconnect it.

Got the unit yesterday, and it seems to work fine with the app.

2 concerns:

- This is one of the "tall" units, which means it sticks down noticeably into the footwell area. I haven't bumped it and don't think it will be a problem for me, but if someone were to drive who is unaware of the dongle, it could potentially be a problem. Might be better to run this off a cable, or get one of the low-profile units.

- Still not sure of the power consumption. The device does get noticeably warm. It was even warm this morning, though not as much as when I was actively using it with the car on. Warmer than I'd expect for dissipating less than one watt, so I'm going to have to measure the current drain and see if the .75 watts specification is accurate.

All in all I'm leaning towards a low-profile unit with a switch as being the better solution here.
But this gets me playing. It may well be that I only want the info occasionally or for taking extended range trips.

Suggestion for the app:

I find that I'd like to be able to look at the display at some point after the drive, to see the last-obtained values.

Unfortunately, being off the OBDII network, the app immediately throws up the big white dialog to tell you you're not connected. This obscures most of the display. "Retry" makes it go away briefly, but doing this repeatedly is awkward.

It would help to have an option to dismiss the dialog and be able to view the previous display values, with perhaps an "offline" status indicator and "reconnect" button. Alternatively (don't know if this is possible), if the offline dialogue box had some transparency, one could see the old values without any further programming changes.

I might have a long trip coming up soon, and I don't do Android so I'm very happy to have this app. Thanks!

I have a splitter and couldn't get it to work while LEAFSpy was also running.

Can you rename SOH to HX as the number you are reporting isn't exactly know. There is a better number that matches the AHr which LEAFSpy calls SOH.

Anyone taken their adapter apart to look at rewiring to only come on with the car? I had my Bluetooth dongle updated like that.

Look forward to testing new features!

True battery SOC (State of Charge) goes from 0% (totally drained) to 100%
(totally stuffed). However, like in real life, being totally drained or stuffed is
usually stressful, even damaging. So, in designing a battery power system,
the bottom 5% or more, and the top 5% or more are engineered to be forbidden
(possible or likely damage) zones, leaving an "available" capacity of 90% or less.

Not wanting to confuse owners and drivers with the facts, the car often reports
this available energy or capacity as 0 to 100, like fullness of a gas tank.

However, many USA drivers are accustomed to reading Empty as "down to the reserve",
and not "the car is now stopping". So, another "state of fullness" number is usually
actually shown on the dash as something like a "fuel gauge", going from 0 to 100 or
Empty to Full, but so far the EVs tend to not indicate the "below empty" range, like
some traditional gas gauges do (the indicator needle moving below E).

There is one further significant complication. A typical gas tank does not change
in size, so tank fullness also indicates the quantity of fuel. However, with typical
EV battery pack systems, the capacity of the pack can decrease over time, so that
the "Full" condition gradually represents less available fuel, thus a decreasing range.

GIDs, found in the LEAF, appears to be a value that represents the amount of usable
energy or fuel, and most of the SOC-derived numbers are just tank/battery fullness
numbers designed to make the driver/owner feel better.

That said, all of these numbers are estimates, and these estimates are subject to
re-calculation at any time, as conditions permit or require, like as temperature
changes, or the cells in the pack get near empty, or near full.

Yes, it is a slightly new, but facinating, ballgame.

Ordered the OBDii interface from Jeff Store last week. It arrived within a week but they shipped the unit with the bluetooth interface, so it will need to be returned. Jeff store sent me a non-prepaid shipping label. Not expensive to return, but I should not have to pay for this. So far not happy with Jeff store.

Anyone know in which order the tire pressures are given?

My Western brain wants to say
LF…RF….LR….RR

But, not sure. I guess I can play with the tire pressures to find out.

I second the suggestion by Nubo. The retry dialog is sometimes tiresome and obscures the last known values.

I have also see occasionally that the iPhone drops the WiFi connection to the adapter. In general it is my experience that the Wifi connections are more flaky and takes longer to connect than blue tooth.

So I have a 2012 SL and have been using a wifi obd2 adaptor for about a year now. I've been using my iPhone4S to talk to it with just a telnet program. With this setup I've just been sending at commands and dumping from group 79b, later sending the responses to my computer to process, graph etc. Been working fine.

I bought the app and tried to get it to work. The first time, the car was not on (oops) but it was charging. I've been able to dump 79b data like this before so I tried it. I thought, well sure, it shouldn't work no problem. Next I turn the car on (while still charging) and low and behold the program fires up. I get data and it looks fine. Life is good I think.

Then I try it again later, with the car unplugged and turned on, ready to drive. The app responds that it can talk to the obd2 but not the leaf. Weird. So I delete the app, reset the obd2 (unplug and plug in) and reload the app. Still the same message. Hmmm I say, lets delete the app, reset the obd2 again and try to talk to it with my old telnet method. I can talk to it, it responds to at commands but the sequence I previously used ends up with "Searching...." and I end up with no response. Very wierd. So I try various resets (atz, atd, atppffoff etc...) still no love.

So now I have nothing working. Does the app set something that stays even after a poweron reset that I can turn off that might make it work again. Are there any other resets that I just don't know about? Anyone have any ideas? Is this the behavior that you are trying to reproduce to debug the app on a 2012?

I have one of the "tall" units so I got one of the extension cables from amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PAHHWM/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1 and tuck the controller and excess cable off into a cavity near my left leg under the dash. Stays put and works fine. I've been leaving it plugged in all the time with the associated power drain without issue. I do drive every day so it doesn't really sit around for days at a time killing the 12v battery. YMMV.

Nubo said:
Nubo said:
I was just about to also. But... "shipping speed: 17 to 28 business days"?

Uh, no.

update: I figured having a switch wasn't as big a deal as waiting a month and a half for the slow boat from "Jeff-Store". So I'll be trying out this one:

Got the unit yesterday, and it seems to work fine with the app.

2 concerns:

- This is one of the "tall" units, which means it sticks down noticeably into the footwell area. I haven't bumped it and don't think it will be a problem for me, but if someone were to drive who is unaware of the dongle, it could potentially be a problem. Might be better to run this off a cable, or get one of the low-profile units.

- Still not sure of the power consumption. The device does get noticeably warm. It was even warm this morning, though not as much as when I was actively using it with the car on. Warmer than I'd expect for dissipating less than one watt, so I'm going to have to measure the current drain and see if the .75 watts specification is accurate.

All in all I'm leaning towards a low-profile unit with a switch as being the better solution here.
But this gets me playing. It may well be that I only want the info occasionally or for taking extended range trips.

Nubo said:
Anyone know in which order the tire pressures are given?

My Western brain wants to say
LF…RF….LR….RR

But, not sure. I guess I can play with the tire pressures to find out.

The location is not particularly useful since as soon as your rotate the tires the location is off. There is a way to register the sensors so they are in the proper location again but this probably more work than it's worth.

adspguy said:
So I have a 2012 SL and have been using a wifi obd2 adaptor for about a year now. I've been using my iPhone4S to talk to it with just a telnet program. With this setup I've just been sending at commands and dumping from group 79b, later sending the responses to my computer to process, graph etc. Been working fine.

I bought the app and tried to get it to work. The first time, the car was not on (oops) but it was charging. I've been able to dump 79b data like this before so I tried it. I thought, well sure, it shouldn't work no problem. Next I turn the car on (while still charging) and low and behold the program fires up. I get data and it looks fine. Life is good I think.

Then I try it again later, with the car unplugged and turned on, ready to drive. The app responds that it can talk to the obd2 but not the leaf. Weird. So I delete the app, reset the obd2 (unplug and plug in) and reload the app. Still the same message. Hmmm I say, lets delete the app, reset the obd2 again and try to talk to it with my old telnet method. I can talk to it, it responds to at commands but the sequence I previously used ends up with "Searching...." and I end up with no response. Very wierd. So I try various resets (atz, atd, atppffoff etc...) still no love.

So now I have nothing working. Does the app set something that stays even after a poweron reset that I can turn off that might make it work again. Are there any other resets that I just don't know about? Anyone have any ideas? Is this the behavior that you are trying to reproduce to debug the app on a 2012?

After using a telnet program to send an "at sp 6" command to force the protocol, the app seems to be working again. Not quite sure how it was locked into a different protocol, but that got it to work once anyway.

Just got my 2013 Super mini ELM327 WiFi for iPhone OBD-II OBD Can Code reader and LEAFStat app.

Works like a charm. I am using a gen 4 ipad with wifi only, and it works fine with the dynamic (rather than static) configuration.

My first reading is at 9 bars remaining:

164 GIDS, 13.2 kWh, 73.90% SOC 55.74 SOH, 74.85 capacity, 49.59 Ahr, 87.8 temp

My second reading at 12 bars remaing (after a full charge):

195 GIDS, 15.6 kWh, 88.38% SOC 55.74 SOH, 74.85 capacity, 49.59 Ahr, 89.6 temp

Tire pressure readings unavailable (No reading until moving).

Nubo said:
Suggestion for the app:

I find that I'd like to be able to look at the display at some point after the drive, to see the last-obtained values.

Unfortunately, being off the OBDII network, the app immediately throws up the big white dialog to tell you you're not connected. This obscures most of the display. "Retry" makes it go away briefly, but doing this repeatedly is awkward.

It would help to have an option to dismiss the dialog and be able to view the previous display values, with perhaps an "offline" status indicator and "reconnect" button. Alternatively (don't know if this is possible), if the offline dialogue box had some transparency, one could see the old values without any further programming changes.

I might have a long trip coming up soon, and I don't do Android so I'm very happy to have this app. Thanks!

I just use screen capture before disconnecting. That works fine for me.

Back