Ontario EV Charging Station Rebate Program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guofengzhao

I am a new 2014 Leaf owner in Ontario, actually not true owner since I am leasing.

The EV rebate was claimed by the dealer, and now I want to claim the charging station incentive.

In the EV Charging Station Rebate form, it says "the receipt/invoice must include the Canadian dealer/website/retailer name, address and phone number, purchase date and price, product make and model".

I wonder if any leaf owners in Ontario purchased their EVSE online from US and successfully got the rebate. Is the program only applicable to the chargers purchased from a Canadian source?

I purchased mine from Home Depot Canada Online and had no problem getting the rebate. From what I was told you have to make sure the exact model is on the list of applicable EVSEs as well as it being purchased in Canada from a Canadian dealer. It might sneak through but they did catch an issue with my application and ask me to resubmit one page so my guess is if you don't follow the rules you are not going to get the rebate.

Thanks a lot to Kaikara. So I will follow the rules strictly.
By the way, I have survived for two weeks with the trickle charge only. Now I am wondering if I should get a L2 charger installed at all. My Leaf is leased, so I hesitate to invest too much on the charger, especially because the electrician quoted me very high cost on the installation. I am sure I will buy a new model of EV after the lease term, but not sure if the L2 charger will still be sufficient and compatible in 4 years.

Shop around on the install. I got my EVSE installed, cable run to the garage, panel upgraded from a fuse to a breaker panel (which I was going to do anyways) plus the certificate all for under 2000. The first guy I had come out quoted me over 4000 for the same job. Now all installs are going to be different you may have a difficult or long run for the cable but is best to shop around. Use the http://www.esasafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website to search for an electrician. I found it is best to go with the smaller ones. Can also search on Kijiji.

As for using just trickle charging. It might be fine for now but in the winter when you want to preheat off the grid you may run into issues. Again depending on how far you drive it may work for you.

After I posted about not getting and EVSE from the US there was some discussion about this on the Canada Leaf Facebook page. It seems some people bought in the US and were still able to get the rebate. The one person bought at Home Depot US I think. So it may be as long as the business exists in Canada and the US the rebate may still apply. But again if they have a rule about buying from a Canadian supplier then they could deny you if you don't buy from one.

Back