EVSE Federal credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 car garage and gave up L2 charging.
If I install 2 dedicated 20A GFCI sockets for Leaf L1 charging this year.
Can I get tax credit for parts and installation for none AMT tax return?

ht2 said:

Only if that includes the installation of some type of EVSE.

EVDRIVER said:
ht2 said:

This is for free Nissan EVSE.
OK. I give up EVSE tax credit for 2010.
Thanks for reply.

EVDRIVER said:
ht2 said:
I have 2 car garage and gave up L2 charging. If I install 2 dedicated 20A GFCI sockets for Leaf L1 charging this year. Can I get tax credit for parts and installation for none AMT tax return?
I am seriously thinking of purchasing a second L1 charging "cord" (with EVSE) and leaving it semi-permanently attached to a 120v outlet on a dedicated 20A circuit. By "semi-permanently" I mean it will in fact be plugged in to a wall socket, but unplugged as frequently as my refrigerator is. It seems to me I should be able to get the tax credit on the second L1 EVSE and the hardware (subpanel, breaker, wire, etc.) for the new circuit. I'm doing the installation myself.

Actually, I've already bought most of the wiring hardware, and will be running 240V to the subpanel, so I could upgrade to an L2 EVSE later if I want to. I've put out some feelers on getting the L1 EVSE.

planet4ever said:
EVDRIVER said:
ht2 said:
I have 2 car garage and gave up L2 charging. If I install 2 dedicated 20A GFCI sockets for Leaf L1 charging this year. Can I get tax credit for parts and installation for none AMT tax return?
I am seriously thinking of purchasing a second L1 charging "cord" (with EVSE) and leaving it semi-permanently attached to a 120v outlet on a dedicated 20A circuit. By "semi-permanently" I mean it will in fact be plugged in to a wall socket, but unplugged as frequently as my refrigerator is. It seems to me I should be able to get the tax credit on the second L1 EVSE and the hardware (subpanel, breaker, wire, etc.) for the new circuit. I'm doing the installation myself.

Actually, I've already bought most of the wiring hardware, and will be running 240V to the subpanel, so I could upgrade to an L2 EVSE later if I want to. I've put out some feelers on getting the L1 EVSE.

Yes.

I would like to make a list of EVSEs with J1772 connections that can be delivered before 31 Dec. Clearly the AV units have shipped according to this thread, but have any others? Will any others?

I mention it here because the idea is to gather a list of EVSEs people can buy if they absolutely feel they have to by 31 Dec to get the tax credit; so here is my list:

• Aerovironment: Only shipping / installing to "initial" markets (TN, WA, OR, CA, AZ), cannot be bought outside this region yet.
  • Leviton: EVB22-3PM expected in January -- too late; EVB45-3PD a few months later.
  • ChargeAmerica: Some have ordered, none have received; maybe early December but maybe vaporware.
  • GE: No price yet, never mind unit
  • SPX: Available in early 2011
  • Voltec: Only available to confirmed Chevy Volt orders
  • Blink / ECOTality: Currently only available to confirmed participants in the EV Project -- nice life if you can get it, if you get it won't you tell me how! :)
  • Coulomb: Price not yet available, never mind unit
  • ClipperCreek: Mainly makes custom units for Tesla, Mini-E; their J1772 unit is currently going for about $2000.

Did I miss anyone?

EDIT: Fixed SPX typo; linked to SPX specific thread, not the combined Voltec/SPX thread.
EDIT: Updated Clipper Creek info.

garygid said:
SPX not SPK, and that incorrectly links to the Voltec EVSE, not the SPX 32A EVSE.

I thought that the Clipper Creek EVSE was over $2000 and available?

Thanks and fixed. Not sure why I'd confuse a K for an X, but thanks anyway. Do you have a link to the CC unit? Their site is woefully remiss of product lists. :eek:

I just added a "Clipper Creek EVSEs" topic to consolidate information on their EVSEs.

Searching Clipper Creek I get 124 posts in many different threads.

Since they are "so expensive", most have not considered them seriously, I expect.

Does anyone here know if the Federal Tax Credit for the EVSE installations will be extended into 2011 ?

I just hate to put all the money upfront now, claim the tax credit in 2010 and sit around waiting for my Leaf to show up at the dealer possibly in July 2011 (Nov 2010 order: still awaiting dashboard to open).

My situation is: I am putting in a 2nd Meter and going E9-B. The 2nd meter cost is $250. No trenching etc. Electrician quoted $2000 to wire up to the 2nd meter, install a new panel breaker and setup a dock for the EVSE of my choice. The PGE 2nd meter is directly next to the proposed panel breaker for my EVSE. There is no additional expenses in extra copper wire runs. (<-- Is this a good quote?)

Basically, assuming if I use up the $2000 tax credit in 2010 for the install, can I still claim back some more on a EVSE purchase in 2011; assuming if there is another tax credit approved for 2011 ?

Thanks for all your advice.

I'm in the unfortunate situation that I can't use the credit next year even if it is extended. However, I have yet to find anyone who will ship an L2 SAE J1772 compliant EVSE before end of this year. Anyone else have better luck (except for those who are getting LEAF's this year)?

pkeys said:
I'm in the unfortunate situation that I can't use the credit next year even if it is extended. However, I have yet to find anyone who will ship an L2 SAE J1772 compliant EVSE before end of this year. Anyone else have better luck (except for those who are getting LEAF's this year)?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=37172#p37172

mxp said:
Does anyone here know if the Federal Tax Credit for the EVSE installations will be extended into 2011?
My personal opinion? The chance of that is slim to none. The Republicans are taking over the House of Representatives, and the TEA party members will hold their feet to the fire on any new spending bills. They won't be able to get rid of many existing spending laws, but the EVSE credit expires at the end of the year, and can't really be "extended" so much as replaced. It also seems clear the "lame duck" session won't have time to address this issue. They have too many other things on their plate, like passing a budget for the fiscal year that has already started.

Elections do have consequences.

I just called AV yesterday to check into getting the EVSE as soon as possible. They said I was on their list, but they were holding back so that they would be assured that they had enough to cover the vehicles that were expected this year. I can't even order my vehicle till January. I guess that means there is no way I can get any credit this year for the EVSE. I am still hoping that I can get some credit for getting all the wiring done up to the garage. That would be done by my own electrician and would still be a significant amount of money.

I am on the cash and carry list for AV and the wiring is being done locally. I am hoping to get an EXACT delivery date before Christmas and will then pull the trigger on buying the EVSE equipment. :ugeek:

Back