New England Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new VT Fujis are from Green Mountain Power and seem to have access code set up issues.

A second new QC in Portland ME!

Commonwealth Nissan reappeared on PS, and the Kelly Group QCs are now being padlocked.

The Portland DC quick charge is now up and running. I am charging now. Also has clipper creek level 2 80 amp charger.

markbb99 said:
The Portland DC quick charge is now up and running. I am charging now. Also has clipper creek level 2 80 amp charger.

Nice photos, thanks. What's the name of the hotel? Portland's a great place to visit. We love the "Merry Table" french restaurant on that cobble stone street in the old section by the river.

It's the Hyatt Place Portland-Old Port. It expensive. The garage is next to the Hotel. Lots of Restaurants and gift shops

QCs starting to break down after only six months or less, 2 in MA, 2 in CT. Seems no one is maintaining them, and repairs aren't a priority. My local QC had a clogged air pre-filter and it overheated. Easy to maintain, can do that myself. Why would they design an air intake at ground level?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
New CHAdeMO just listed on PlugShare in Revere, close to Revere Beach and Logan, at a Comfort Inn. Needs confirmation, but nice location.

really? good news. as plug ins get more popular I'd really like a quick charge option at (or near) logan as mitigation of all the central parking EVSEs being in use...

MA is in process of siting 15 QCs Nissan gave them, supposed to be along highways. I'm trying to get one at Logan's cell phone waiting lot. If you'd like to chime in, contact: [email protected]

But if it's legit, and usable, this new Revere one is now the closest, only like 3 miles.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
MA is in process of siting 15 QCs Nissan gave them, supposed to be along highways. I'm trying to get one at Logan's cell phone waiting lot. If you'd like to chime in, contact: [email protected]

But if it's legit, and usable, this new Revere one is now the closest, only like 3 miles.

is there a news release or published article on this 15 CHADEMOs? I like to reference a 'real' source when contacting people. I'm a little wary of saying "I heard on an internet forum that..." in my opening email.

Not that I know of. I got it from Linda herself. They won't be ready to announce until they nail down the details. She knows this forum, and my alias here, but you can tell her Jerome posted it and that'll ring a bell, I pester her often enough. She did give me permission to publish her email BTW.

I haven't heard back from Comfort Inn. If it's usable, it'll be as good as one at Logan, the more the merrier.

markbb99 said:
I was looking a plugshare and there are now 5 DC quick charge station in Burlington ,VT area.

Wow! Two more since yesterday! Both garages.

QC at Inn in Revere won't be completed for two more weeks, don't know about availability or cost yet. They also plan to soon add L2 and QC at their Inn in Norwood MA.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
New CHAdeMO just listed on PlugShare in Revere, close to Revere Beach and Logan, at a Comfort Inn. Needs confirmation, but nice location.

I suspect that this station is one of the 10 currently being rolled out by Philadelphia-based U-GO Stations (http://www.ugostations.com/). They've had a single ABB 50kW CHAdeMO station in Mt. Laurel, NJ for the past 8 months or so, and they're now in the process of installing 10 more stations. They've so far officially announced three of the locations via their Facebook page, two at Holiday Inns in Northern NJ (one 20kW, the other 50kW) and another at a gas station/car wash in Philadelphia (20 kW).

I suspect the station in Revere, MA is one of theirs because it was listed on PlugShare at the same time (and in the same format) as two stations in Central NJ, one at a Holiday Inn, the other at a Holiday Inn Express. They seem to like installing their stations at hotels adjacent to major highways, which makes it seem likely that all these stations are theirs. They did say on Facebook that the Boston metro area, along with NY, Philly and Baltimore are all part of their future plans.

To get an idea of their pricing, their unit at a hotel in Mt. Laurel, NJ is on the GreenLots network for $7/hr, not prorated by the minute, meaning it's essentially $7 per session.

WHITELEAFLINY said:
NYLEAF is there any reason why there are no quick charges
on long island and metro area,except for the one in flushing
and the ones for the taxis?

Yeah. They're really expensive to buy, install and maintain, and there aren't a lot of cars around here that can use them. It's a classic "chicken or egg" problem. No one wants to install the stations until there's a lot of cars that can use them (guaranteeing that they'll be able to at least break even on the whole thing). At the same time, people are reluctant to buy the cars until they see stations being installed in places they frequent.

More specifically to our area, PSEG-LI and ConEd charge very large demand fees (similar to those seen out in CA), meaning that powerful Quick Chargers could incur monthly utility costs in the thousands, even if only used once or twice in the month!

The good news, however, is that eVgo is planning on expanding to the NYC area later this year. They'll almost certainly have at least a couple stations on LI -- hopefully many more! There's also the Nissan dealers, hopefully they'll start to install them, too. The ones for the taxis are open to the public, btw -- you just have to call AeroVironment and get a key fob, which is very expensive, unfortunately.

Thanks for the info, NYLEAF, I'll ask the hotel manager that, he's replied once and seems very excited about QC and EVs.

Is there no movement in NY to change DPU rules on demand charges to accomodate QCs?

NYLEAF, your research is spot on. Per Scot Hopps, director of sustainability at Comfort Inn, they are indeed U-Go installs. No pricing set yet. I've invited Scot to join us and get his questions answered by more than me.

Jerome

Here's what Scot is thinking:

Good morning Jerome,

Joe passed along your note about our EV station. You are indeed correct, we’re working with U-GO for the stations at Comfort Inn in Revere, and they are also installing two stations at our property in Norwood, MA, a Hampton Inn.

We don’t yet have the details on how they will charge – I know in Massachusetts you cannot charge by kWh, so it is either and hourly or a per use charge. Do you have a suggestion as to how to charge so that people only use what they need and don’t block the spot unnecessarily?  I’d love to be able to suggest that.

Rumor has it (from my electrician) that our level 3 unit is being commissioned today. We are also getting a level 2 unit, but it is not installed yet.

Can I ask, anything you’ve noticed as an EV owner that we should be thinking about? If you were to come to a hotel or a restaurant, what would you find most accommodating or most annoying? I want to make sure we make this a success!

Thanks,

Scot

Scot Hopps | Director of Sustainability
Saunders Hotel Group | 61 Exeter Street | Boston, MA 02116
(P) 617-421-4918| [email protected]

Back