HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PDXSilver said:
This forum thread is incredibly useful. We have a 2013 model. I pulled the VSP module, opened it up, soldered a wire onto the back side of Pin 5, ran the wire out of a hole in the corner of the case as I reassembled the case, reinstalled in in the car, and touched the wire to ground. It worked! I do have one new bit of information. On the 2013 model the warning light is not in the instrument cluster as reported above (for 2012?) but is now next to the "passenger airbag off" warning light in the center console above the 12V power out.
The 2012 lit up the same warning light as the 2013 (I've had both, and both had the VSP off mod as described here). I think I read that the 2011 did not light this up unless there was an actual VSP error.

Just curious as I now also want to turn VSP & Reverse beeps off when driving but keep the charging beeps when the car is off.

I thought of a Relay and 1 resistor could also do the trick.

Put a 12v relay in line with the outside speaker.

So when the Car is on and relay is energized, then no VSP and no warning light... Resistor spoofs control box that there's a speaker there.
And when the car is off, relay is off and reconnects speaker vs resistor still giving you charge beeps etc.
photo.jpg

In my experience the module only checks for the speaker when 12v is first applied. I open the speaker when backing up with no problems.

Since I had acc power at my radio power relay I connected it to my mute relay to check it out for you. It mutes all backup and VSP noise while allowing the various beeps. A load resistor is not required.

Since the module ran its inventory when it was first plugged in it does not care about opening the speaker.

Well, I did the update this weekend and included the resistor as I had one in my junk box @ 4.5Ohm anyhow and resistors are cheap! :D

Anyhow, works like a champ...
No sound while Car is on, I used ACC\ON in fuse block next to Batt (PWM circuit I think \ only on when car is fully powered up.)
But when car is off... all charge and unlock beeps can still be heard. also no warning lights and this does not affect any other sounds. Only the VSP forward motion sounds and the reverse beeps are gone.
Very Quiet now!!

I put resistor inside of the Speaker case and only modified the speaker box for 3 extra wires out so it's an easy replace should I need to return back to stock.
open.jpg

A Pic of the assembled unit with Relay attached.
assy.jpg

Back of speaker showing Relay attached... only three wires out of speaker box I even pick up Ground from the bracket that holds the speaker itself leaving only one wire to the fuseblock to enable this VSP cutout.
backrelay.jpg

Works like a champ!
GlennD, thanks for your responses and help... the relay clicks instantly before the VSP module wakes up so when the module interrogates for the speaker at car start up, it sees the resistor first. I think I will add a switch to the ACC\ON trigger to enable or disable the cutout manually should I ever want to turn it on quick.

The VSP module only does inventory when it is first plugged into the car and it sees 12V. I suppose if the 12V battery goes dead it will rescan for the speaker. As long as acc is not on it will find both speakers.

Your method certainly works and always presents a load but it really is not needed. I know from experience on my old car that access to the speaker is not easy. This time I broke the speaker lead at the module. Much easier!

Flashman said:
I think I will add a switch to the ACC\ON trigger to enable or disable the cutout manually should I ever want to turn it on quick.
I think that is a good idea.
Although I dislike the VSP and the backup warning and push the button on my 2011 LEAF to disable it most of the time, in very tight congested areas such as parking garages or very busy parking lots with a lot of pedestrians I usually turn it on. A lot more prudent and safe to have it on in some situations.

GlennD said:
The VSP module only does inventory when it is first plugged into the car and it sees 12V. I suppose if the 12V battery goes dead it will rescan for the speaker. As long as acc is not on it will find both speakers.

Ahh, well I was under the impression the speaker load was checked at power up meaning Car start... never the less... it's in there for the purest sake and one less concern if I ever pull the negative terminal on the 12v batt. :D

TimLee, Yes I agree, I definitely feel there will be times I will want to turn the speaker back on...
Just found some nice switches with a little blue led... I think I will install one of those in one of the existing switch-blanks.
Also gotta find room for the LeafDD on the way :mrgreen:

Just got a 2013 to replace my 2011. I removed the module I made from my 2011 before I turned it in. I was going to put it in the 2013. I took it all apart and realized my soldering iron was at the office so I left it apart and unplugged thinking I'd finish on monday when I went to work.

But driving with the VSP module unplugged, I noticed that the beeps I thought would be gone weren't. Obviously the VSP no longer makes noise (man I forgot how annoying it was). But the keyless entry still does make the beeps with you hit the button or try to lock the car from the outside with the fob still in it.

The charging beeps are gone, but they are only marginally useful as whenever charging starts, I'm either standing right there or using the app and not close at all.

I think I'm just going to leave it completely disconnected.

Oh crap, I just remembered, I had upgraded the horn as well on my 2011. Might have to do that one again. It was nice having a proper horn.

Using previous very helpful advice and examples from this group, I have successfully installed a switch in the dash next to the cigarette lighter that turns the vsp on and off any time at will on my 2013 newly purchased LEAF. The switch is a SPDT that interrupts the +12V coming out of the VSP and either sends it on to the speaker or else through a 4.7 ohm resistor and back to the -12V wire. These VSP pins are 8 for the +12V and 7 for the -12V. The resistance of the speaker measured from the pins on the VSP cable was 5.5 ohms and I used the closest resistor I could find. As others have shown, the VSP checks that the speaker is present at startup and if not then it sends a signal on pin 14 to a warning light on the dash next to the passenger seat warning light. The resistor avoids this happening when the speaker is not connected. I am not that much of an electrician to know what the wattage should be for the resistor, so I used a small chassis mount 15 watt, and it stays cold even though I drive forward of backwards for several minutes. I attached the resistor to a bar on the left side of the glove compartment and neatened the wires. Why I would recommend this installation is that you have complete control over the VPS. The only disadvantage is that you lose all of the VSP sounds with the switch off. Personally I like to leave it on, but we can turn it off for early and late driving when neighbors might be unhappy with the noise, and my wife hates the sounds except in parking lots. I can't figure out why the speaker is on the left side instead of the right nearer to pedestrians and cyclists, and it would make a lot of sense to put the backup speaker at the back of the vehicle.

I might also mention that I purchased the expensive switch that was on the 2011 leaf and was not able to use it. It is a actually a push button type and seems to have connections to neighboring switches and a plug for a cable. I expect this switch gives a temporary ground to pin 5 as others have discussed. I couldn't see going to the trouble of installing this switch and dealing with the wiring to find the needed connections. I think this method also turns the VSP off until a restart.

I would like to get rid of the some of the other annoying beeps e.g. on startup if anyone has any suggestions. Overall, I love the car and we are powering it from solar panels.

turbo2ltr said:
I just unplugged the module in my 2014. I don't miss the charge noises. The key fob noises still work.

I would be interested in doing this on a 2014. Where is it? Still under the glove box? I wish they had the switch on 2014 like earlier years.

I dont have a VSP button (that i know of) - 2014 SV
I it hidden and are there alternate methods to shut it up ?

DWAM said:
I would like to get rid of the some of the other annoying beeps e.g. on startup if anyone has any suggestions. Overall, I love the car and we are powering it from solar panels.

This question was poised, unanswerded, in 2013... it's almost 2015, but quick answer... The startup song that plays can be turned off by running the menus using the four buttons to the left of the steering wheel. It's also documented in the manual.

Anybody know what kind of connector is on the VSP module and what each pin does??

I'd like to put an inline module that I can just plug into the VSP module and then have the stock cable plug into the custom module.

Or buy a 2011-12 LEAF that used to have the simple switch to turn off the noise when you wanted to.
If you buy a low cost 2011 and get the Lizard battery for $5,500 it can be a good deal. Get one with s Fast Charge port if your in a hurry since the 3.3 kW on board charging seems slow after having faster charging.

Or but a FORD Focus EV with No back up sound, 6.6 kW and liquid cooling batteries . I have no capacity loss after 2 years in the Phoenix heat =D------

I think there might be a much simpler way to disable the VSP. I'd try it myself, but the VSP sound doesn't really bother me at all. According to the manual, the VSP module only begins making the VSP sound when the Leaf is in Drive AND the brake pedal is released.
vsp.jpg

So, if one were to simply cut the wire to pin #12, the brake switch input, and tie it to pin #11, switched battery power, the VSP module should think the brake is pressed all the time, so it will never make a sound. Anyone care to try it? ;)

Interesting. I don't know if that would stop the backup sound though. Doesn't it make that sound even when the break is pressed? Of course, I don't have a LEAF anymore so I couldn't test anyway.

Back