D3Leaf
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2013
Leaf Number: 003963

Re: A Note From A Leaf Salesman

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:02 am

megger5963 wrote:Anyway, none of this is about the merits of the car business or the wealth car salesman can/cannot acrue.

I just wanted to educate the average Leaf customer on our side of things. I think that my fellow Leaf Sales Guys will appreciate it.

That pretty much concludes my participation in the thread.
First let me thank you for your insight as a Leaf Car Salesman. And yes the lowest person on the totem pole ends up in the crap pile and sometimes penniless. Let me offer this, if I could pay, say a $300 commission (like a restaurant tip) directly to the sales person, I would do that; but the dealer considers "Sales People" property and I have to pay it to them instead. I do agree, that the Car Retail Sales Market is trickle down economics.

With that said and this might seem rude, but after reading your initial post, all that came to mind was a Danny Devito movie, "Other Peoples Money" ... "Amen". When it comes to surveys, I am skeptical. No person, place or thing is perfect; and unless I have some world ending apocalyptic reason (the wife makes do it), I do not do surveys. I purchased my Leaf used and I do not recall doing any post sale survey; if the sales person mentioned a survey, I gave a placated response and ignored it.

Anyway, everyone has a job to do and they are trained (supposedly) how to do it right. If you do your job right, which means the customer is "happy"; how is that above and beyond, and equated to the maximum values on any survey?

DaveEV
Forum Supporter

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:42 am

D3Leaf wrote:When it comes to surveys, I am skeptical. No person, place or thing is perfect
I think the same way.

I can't imagine a 10 in terms of dealer experience. There are always a few things that ruin it - and its not necessarily the salesperson's fault. The same goes for service advisors and post-service surveys (do service advisors also get "bonuses" based on surveys?). I _expect_ outstanding service all the time. I don't want to be sold crap I don't need. Don't downplay my concerns.

My last two dealership buying experiences were pretty similar. Knew what I wanted going into the dealer and had pre-arranged pricing. Both times sales staff were pleasant. Both times got reamed by the finance person trying to sell me endless mountains of needless crap while undermining my purcase: "You should buy this extended warranty because you know - this LEAF is new technology and is likely to break down!" or "You should lease this LEAF because it's new technology and is likely to break down!" - nice way to make me feel confident about my purchase :roll: This took at least an hour while I sat uncomfortably saying the same thing. No. No. No. Just let me sign the damn papers, write you a check and let me go.

downeykp
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:55 pm

No $hit, if we wanted this crap we would ask for it. Otherwise let me sign the necessary papers and leave. The finance people are the shysters in the car buying experience.
drees wrote:
D3Leaf wrote:When it comes to surveys, I am skeptical. No person, place or thing is perfect
I think the same way.

I can't imagine a 10 in terms of dealer experience. There are always a few things that ruin it - and its not necessarily the salesperson's fault. The same goes for service advisors and post-service surveys (do service advisors also get "bonuses" based on surveys?). I _expect_ outstanding service all the time. I don't want to be sold crap I don't need. Don't downplay my concerns.

My last two dealership buying experiences were pretty similar. Knew what I wanted going into the dealer and had pre-arranged pricing. Both times sales staff were pleasant. Both times got reamed by the finance person trying to sell me endless mountains of needless crap while undermining my purcase: "You should buy this extended warranty because you know - this LEAF is new technology and is likely to break down!" or "You should lease this LEAF because it's new technology and is likely to break down!" - nice way to make me feel confident about my purchase :roll: This took at least an hour while I sat uncomfortably saying the same thing. No. No. No. Just let me sign the damn papers, write you a check and let me go.
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

8 years 33000mi. 7 bars

39 Suniva panels 10.3kw with Enphase micro inverters my electricity cost $26 a month.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:34 pm

generally the survey asks "Did the salesman do everything in their power to make your sales experience wonderful?" or something similar so I do not grade that question based on things he can't control. this is where the problem is rooted. people will use any part of the process against a question concerning the one part of the process
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:11 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:generally the survey asks "Did the salesman do everything in their power to make your sales experience wonderful?" or something similar so I do not grade that question based on things he can't control. this is where the problem is rooted. people will use any part of the process against a question concerning the one part of the process
As I remember it, there was a question about how long the process took. I spent a total of something like 6 hours in that place, over two hot days. They got me a good deal, but how on earth could I give that a 10 for wait time? There wasn't a power failure or other act of the gods. It was a nightmarish process, and though the salesman tried to make it easier, the question didn't ask about trying.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

fastmaxxcooper
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 8004

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:17 pm

This is a tough subject for me, because I went into the buying process as an "early adopter" and and enthusiast, someone who wanted an electric car, but left with a bitter taste in my mouth. I paid the highest amount possible, since I ordered it the day they became available in CT. The salesman was nice enough, but the general manager and finance guy ruined the experience for me and really made me feel like a got a sour deal. When the high payments didn't fit my new life a year after I got the car, I was devastated to see what Nissan did with the incentives on the 2012 cars and how they ruined the resale on my car, effectively by $12,000.

I never completed the survey, and unfortunately couldn't honestly advocate the Leaf to everyone that asked me about it, since I had the first in eastern CT.

I wish Nissan had tried to make the early adopters feel more welcome in the experience, it seems their evolving business plan with the Leaf had catered to the bottom feeders more than the actual enthusiasts. Potential buyers tend to trust the people they talk to and friends before ad's, salesman, and media.

I'd say the salesman's hands are tied on this, it's something that can't be fixed at their level.
2012 Blue Ocean SL (Delivered 3/16/2012) with a Schneider EVSE

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:53 pm

fastmaxxcooper wrote:This is a tough subject for me, because I went into the buying process as an "early adopter" and and enthusiast, someone who wanted an electric car, but left with a bitter taste in my mouth. I paid the highest amount possible, since I ordered it the day they became available in CT. The salesman was nice enough, but the general manager and finance guy ruined the experience for me and really made me feel like a got a sour deal. When the high payments didn't fit my new life a year after I got the car, I was devastated to see what Nissan did with the incentives on the 2012 cars and how they ruined the resale on my car, effectively by $12,000.

I never completed the survey, and unfortunately couldn't honestly advocate the Leaf to everyone that asked me about it, since I had the first in eastern CT.

I wish Nissan had tried to make the early adopters feel more welcome in the experience, it seems their evolving business plan with the Leaf had catered to the bottom feeders more than the actual enthusiasts. Potential buyers tend to trust the people they talk to and friends before ad's, salesman, and media.

I'd say the salesman's hands are tied on this, it's something that can't be fixed at their level.
ya i hear ya. i am embarrassed to admit I paid $299 for my Samsung Galaxy 4 WITH two year contract extension knowing full well that if I waited it would be less than half that later on... but I did it anyway and you know what?? I feel that urge coming on again... I want to fight it but I feel overwhelmed...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

megger5963

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:11 pm

That's alright you guys. I think Nissan is finally done giving away these cars.

For a month and a half now, the residuals for these Leafs have been closer to standard cars, with normal money factors. Hopefully the manufacturer keeps these prices the same and stops cheapening the value of this car. :)

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:19 pm

It will depend entirely on sales... If they start to tank, you will see all of it come right back.
Once Nissan hits the 200,000 vehicle threshold and the $7,500 federal tax credit evaporates, you will certainly see all forms of creative deals.
megger5963 wrote:That's alright you guys. I think Nissan is finally done giving away these cars.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

jsongster
Delivery Date: 03 Sep 2013

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 pm

Agree with the poster about the finance person being the creep in dealership... the salesman charms you and then they try to disarm you...

The finance person who finished my LEAF purchase... had a creepy little trick of continuing to add the warranty multiple times after I said I absolutely didn't want it. It magically kept reappearing. I told her I wouldn't take the car if she didn't knock it off... and whaddaya know... we finally were able to get a contract printed without the warranty crap. took way too long...

Can't wait until Tesla eats their lunch!
Wanted an EV forever. Now driving a 2013 LEAF SL. The car keeps living up to the promise, and CHAdeMO chargers keep extending my range!
7.4kW of power from 34 panels. Solar Powered Driving is hot!
Imagine a world w/o gasoline. No blood for oil.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”