Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we test drove the Model S, my wife came away disliking it simply because of the seat belts. She's not tall, and moving the seat forward enough for her to drive caused the seat belt to rub against her neck. Why the heck aren't the seat belt shoulder anchors adjustable, especially in a $75K+ car?

jlv said:
When we test drove the Model S, my wife came away disliking it simply because of the seat belts. She's not tall, and moving the seat forward enough for her to drive caused the seat belt to rub against her neck. Why the heck aren't the seat belt shoulder anchors adjustable, especially in a $75K+ car?
there are a lot of little issues like that in the car, to me the amount to NBD however you are right in a car as costly as a Tesla the cabin is not up to the BMW/MB/LEXUS levels of comfort

Or it is being driven by an old man... By the way, you see this from time to time and technically it is illegal to drive with your hazards on in California...

CVC 25250 states:
Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles EXCEPT as
otherwise permitted.....

CVC 25251(a)3 states:
To warn other motorists of accidents or HAZARDS on a roadway, turn signal lamps may be flashed as warning lights while the vehicle is approaching, overtaking, or passing the accident or HAZARD on the roadway if the front turn signal lamps at each side are being flashed simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side are being simultaneously flashed.........

mwalsh said:
Just passed a Model S doing 40mph in the slow lane of the highway with his hazards on. Did the driver screw up royally and is conserving power, or is propulsion being limited due to a mechanical issue?

I think if you're driving at 40mph on the freeway, YOU'RE* a hazard - and thus the hazard lights would be justified.

* the driver in question, not you the reader or you whose post I'm replying to

TomT said:
Or it is being driven by an old man... By the way, you see this from time to time and it is illegal to drive with your hazards on in California...

CVC 25250 states:Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles EXCEPT as
otherwise permitted.....

CVC 25251(a)3 states:
To warn other motorists of accidents or HAZARDS on a roadway, turn signal lamps may be flashed as warning lights while the vehicle is approaching, overtaking, or passing the accident or HAZARD on the roadway if the front turn signal lamps at each side are being flashed simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side are being simultaneously flashed.........

mwalsh said:
Just passed a Model S doing 40mph in the slow lane of the highway with his hazards on. Did the driver screw up royally and is conserving power, or is propulsion being limited due to a mechanical issue?
Interesting... did not know this. I've seen it if a car must go really slow for whatever reason (e.g. mechanical problem).

I had to do this when I had a blowout/tire failure and had to switch to my 50 mph max donut spare on my Prius, while on I-5 about 150 miles from home. Was driving back from Vegas. Uhh... to me, I was a hazard and it was prudent to have them on given I could only safely do 50 mph when the limit was 70 mph and most traffic does at least 70-80+ mph, except big rigs, who still all go faster than 50 mph.

I think I did at have at least 1 CHP pass me but none pulled me over. (There must've been some on the other side of the road too.)

I'm guessing it was the conserving power case for the Model S (but this could be either due to driver screwup or a problem charging). I haven't heard of any Model S failures which resulted in limited power. The drive unit (not noise), coolant pump, something in the HV pack failures I've heard of resulted in the car stopping.

mwalsh said:
the only one who could provide the answer is the driver who was doing that.

Spectacular crash of stolen new Model S. 100mph; 5 other cars damaged (some injuries, none fatal); Model S split in half; driver ejected through windshield (which probably saved him from burning to death); battery pack ruptured and caught fire in spectacular fashion, spitting molten lithium high into the sky.

http://ktla.com/2014/07/04/tesla-crashes-into-cars-and-building-splits-in-half-in-weho-multiple-people-injured/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 46
gasmiser1 said:
Wow, that's insane. Very lucky carjacker.
And fortunately, no one was killed...?

I suppose the driver (not clear if survived) did Tesla a favor by (apparently) not wearing his seatbelt.

Gruesome videos of Tesla S fires, whose occupants did wear their seat belts may not help Tesla's image as a "safe" car.

...As seen in the video, multiple automobiles were involved in the carnage.

The crash is currently under investigation.

InsideEVs has received word that at least one of the suspects inside the stolen Tesla Model S died. Judging from the severity of this wreck, we’d be surprised if anyone who was within the Model S survives.

*UPDATE: Driver of Model S confirmed to be dead:

This fatality comes just a month after Elon Musk stated there had been no serious injuries or fatalities in a Model S after 344 million miles of driving, a fact he stated was “…certainly one of our proudest accomplishments“. This was a heck of a way to end that safety milestone...

http://insideevs.com/stolen-tesla-model-s-crashes-cut-half-fire-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...At least six injured in Tesla wreck

The Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) driver reportedly crashed into a Honda that was carrying five people, two of whom were in serious condition and one of whom was in critical condition as of the time of the local media’s report. There was no information about the fifth passenger in the car. The driver of the Tesla had reportedly died on the scene but then was revived by paramedics and taken to the hospital in critical condition...

http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/07/tesla-model-s-crash-in-west-hollywood/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tesla forum thread on-topic links to video blow of the fires (looks like several fragments of the battery pack were burning independently of the main fire under the front ~ half of the S) and also the crash scene this AM.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/33094-Stolen-Model-S-crashes-after-police-pursuit-7-4-14/page11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/25941756/six-people-injured-as-stolen-tesla-crashes-into-building" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back