CAN-Do: a CAN-message Analysis Tool

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the Recipe file is missing.
Download one and put it in the same folder.

Thanks for reminding me of that condition.
and I will try to add code this morning to
give a better message.

Then, I will upload v218 (I think).

I just uploaded CAN-Do v218 and it has the Multi-Graphing, and
writing individual, or groups of, Graphs out to BMP files.

To convert a BMP file to JPG, right-click the BMP file(s) and
select Edit, which opens each BMP file in a copy of Paint.

In Paint, under File, select Save As...
In the Output dialog box that appears, select JPG as the
Output format, and Save. Then exit the Paint application.
Simple, fairly quick,... but annoying.

The conversion on my Vista PC keeps the original detail quite well,
with some minor "smeering", but reduces the file size greatly,
making it easy to email and post the images.

The program has "proper" Visual Basic error detection for
a missing file, which Vista handles properly, giving a nice
helpful message. Apparently Win 7 (and/or Win 8) do not
handle the error properly, so I will need to add some code to
look for the file before trying to open it.

I will try to remember to do that in the next version, but
for now, just make sure that you have a Recipe file.

Thanks Gary,
I'll give it a shot tonight. Question, though. What folder exactly should I place it in? My old Can-do folder (pretty sure I have one there already) or the unzip folder or other?
garygid said:
I believe the Recipe file is missing.
Download one and put it in the same folder.

Thanks for reminding me of that condition.
and I will try to add code this morning to
give a better message.

Then, I will upload v218 (I think).

The easiest is to Unzip the program into the same folder as the
previous CAN-Do, and you will have both the old and the new
programs there. Then they would both use the same Recipe file
and INI file. Enjoy. :D

Ahhh. I didn't realize that I was actually executing the program - I thought it was an installer. Makes sense to just unzip it in my CanDo folder, then. Got it running.

218 looks great. I really like the multi-graph - makes generation plots a lot easier since I don't have to start over if I screw up! There is one tweak I would like to request. On the Filter Messages screen, if I select a subset of the data with the mouse on the graph (such that "Message Range to Plot" is no longer 1 to #lastmessage), I would like the histogram data you show in Byte1-Byte8 columns to reflect the contents of just that section.

OK. I was trying to find a passive message containing the bus voltage and thought of another request for [Edit]CanDo[/edit]. On the filters screen (and in the recipe file) it would be nice if we could extract the 700 query/response messages. We can select, for example, MsgID 7bb and use the Mask on the first Dword to select a particular index, but that same index has different data depending on the group# in the preceding 79b message. If you could keep track of the groupId in the previous 79b or 797 messages and allow us to mask based on that, too, we could write recipe's for cellpair, bus voltage, cabin temp, Hfactor, SOH, etc. This would make it much easier to find passive equivalents of those messages.

P.S. I love the new multi-graph feature. I can visually do the above function by plotting both the 79b with mask and 7bb with mask although it still takes some work sifting through it.

On the first (main) screen, one can list the MsgIDs on the right,
select just the MsgID(s) of interest, and list just those on the left.

Not as good as what you want, but helpful.

The main problem is that the responses do not contain the group
number, right?

You could extract just the MsgIDs and fields of interest to a CSV file, and
then propagate the group number down through the responses with
a formula, and... that might help?

Correct - the group number is not included in the 7bb responses. Right now, I plot the group number from the 79b along with the 7bb with the index of choice and manually/visually only examine the 7bb curve immediately following the desired 79b group number.

I also have some perl scripts I use to automate this but I prefer the more interactive CanDo interface for initial investigations (when I don't really know what I'm looking for - just looking for visual clues).

I suspect this is a personal problem (probably a virus of some sort), but I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing similar behavior. Whenever I execute the Can-Do executable (except for versions 139-158), it starts the installation application for an unrelated piece of software. Not a big deal, I just click "cancel" and then CanDo starts. Gary, any ideas what changed from 124 to 139 that could make this issue go away but come back in version 159? In 159, your comments say you added the INI file and the other installer starts as soon as I click "OK" on the "Created INI" popup but there was no INI in version 123 & 124 and I see the problem there, too. Any thoughts?

The CAN-Do executable just runs, and does not attempt to install other software,
unless it has been corrupted. What OS, I have run CAN-Do on XP, Vista, Win7,
and Win8.1 with no apparent problems. If corrupted, re-download to a different
folder. Current versions are in the 200s, so please try those.

In versions that have an ini file, if the file is not found in the folder with the exe,
an ini file is created. I have not experienced any problems with the ini file.
I do not remember the first version to use the ini file, looks like v159.

Is there a reason that you are using the older versions of CAN-Do?
I suppose that the on-line zip files could have been hacked, but this is
the first that I have heard of CAN-Do "trying to install other software".
Which version specifically, I will try it here.
Try ver 219, from before I started adding the Tesla S stuff.

Maybe your unzipper is adding something to the exe file?

I am on Win7 and the only reason I tried the older versions is because I was experiencing this issue with the most recent. Any version from 159 up exhibits this behavior for me. I just tried it (most recent) on another Win7 PC but get a different error : "Component 'MSCOMM32.OCX' or one of its dependancies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"
Anyway - I suspect something got corrupted on my main home computer. Just thought I'd double-check that noone else saw a similar behavior.

Slightly different versions of "the same" operating system can easily
have different files available, or missing, depending upon what was
originally included, and what has been installed or uninstalled before
CAN-Do is tried.

Generally just trying to run CAN-Do will notify you of required files
that are missing or not properly registered. Doing the first run (s) of
CAN-Do in Administrator mode often helps with the registration.

If the files are actually missing, the files are often available via my web site,
use the link in my Signature.

Back