encounters w/other Leafers w/surprising lack of knowledge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Live moves fast. Too many things to do, places to be, people to meet.

johnrhansen said:
They have to sell to the masses. And the masses don't care. I think the world would be a better place in many ways if the masses smartened up a bit and became more engaged and curious about the world around them, but alas, this is not so. At least there are some people like like that.

My first and only encounter and discussion with another EV owner was a Tesla Model S owner and his wife at a Supercharger station way down in Florida. They were crazy in love with that car. Then again, so was I.

I sat in the frunk. They took my picture. Good times.

In the two years and 3 months I've had my LEAF here in Michigan, I've seen a few other LEAF owners drive by, I've gotten waves from a couple of them, but never talked to one in person.
::sad violin music plays:: :cry:

kubel said:
My first and only encounter and discussion with another EV owner was a Tesla Model S owner and his wife at a Supercharger station way down in Florida. They were crazy in love with that car. Then again, so was I.

I sat in the frunk. They took my picture. Good times.

In the two years and 3 months I've had my LEAF here in Michigan, I've seen a few other LEAF owners drive by, I've gotten waves from a couple of them, but never talked to one in person.
::sad violin music plays:: :cry:

Back when I rode motorcycles it was quite the fraternity. You'd always wave when you saw a fellow motorcyclist. The only guys that would sometimes not wave back were the harley riders. Nobody in a leaf waves back. Ever. They just drive by... oblivious.

Leafs may be old hat up in Seattle, but here in Clark County (WA), they're less common (but I'm starting to see more and more). We've had the Leaf for 7 months, and for the first time just a couple of days ago, I had a guy in a Cayenne Red one give me a "hang loose" as I pulled out of the Home Depot parking lot and he pulled in. I tipped my hat in response...was that anybody here?

Our electricity is so cheap around here (8.16 cents / kWh, no TOU) I don't understand why more people don't drive them...

I generally don't wave to other Leafs on the road (though I'm glad to engage both Leaf and non-Leaf owners who stop to chat in parking lots). The population overall is generally not all that progressive down here (IMO), despite our proximity to Portland, so I am pleased every time I see a Leaf (or a Spark, or a Model S) on the road.

Interestingly, the 3 or 4 different non-EV owners who have stopped to ask me questions about the Leaf all understood the difference between how Leaf works and how the Volt works, and were really just interested in my practical experience of home charging and driving a range-limited vehicle.

--G

It's interesting that all of the Tesla S owners I have met and chatted with were far more knowledgeable about their car than the Leaf owners... And virtual everyone of them belonged to the Tesla forum whereas finding a Leaf owner these days that subscribes to the Leaf forum is the exception...

kubel said:

My neighbor down the street had a Leaf in his garage, so I asked him how he liked it. He said he didn't drive it much since it was mainly his wife who did. I mentioned that I had one, too. He was totally surprised to learn that it wouldn't go over 100 miles on a charge, or that the GOM was inaccurate. He'd never heard of this forum, plugshare, etc. He also thought there were QCs all over the place that he could use to take long trips. He seems to have done zero research before buying the car. They have two other cars, both ICE, which I see them driving. I think I've only seen them driving the Leaf once.

Rat said:
My neighbor down the street had a Leaf in his garage, so I asked him how he liked it. He said he didn't drive it much since it was mainly his wife who did. I mentioned that I had one, too. He was totally surprised to learn that it wouldn't go over 100 miles on a charge, or that the GOM was inaccurate. He'd never heard of this forum, plugshare, etc. He also thought there were QCs all over the place that he could use to take long trips. He seems to have done zero research before buying the car. They have two other cars, both ICE, which I see them driving. I think I've only seen them driving the Leaf once.
I hate to appear as if I am diminishing your comments but believe it or not for the most part only the more tech savvy, fan boy owners are participating on this forum. this is part of the problems faced by EVs of all stripes. there is a bit more to owning and driving an EV than what the average car owner has ever needed to understand. denigrating those who seem to be not as up to speed as some of us who own a LEAF and are not on this forum isn't the right path to follow.

TomT said:
It's interesting that all of the Tesla S owners I have met and chatted with were far more knowledgeable about their car than the Leaf owners... And virtual everyone of them belonged to the Tesla forum whereas finding a Leaf owner these days that subscribes to the Leaf forum is the exception...
FWIW:
most Tesla owners are far more fanatical/passionate about their cars than Leaf owners seem to be.
Almost to the point of being almost evangelical about the virtues of their Tesla

apvbguy said:
Rat said:
I hate to appear as if I am diminishing your comments but believe it or not for the most part only the more tech savvy, fan boy owners are participating on this forum. this is part of the problems faced by EVs of all stripes. there is a bit more to owning and driving an EV than what the average car owner has ever needed to understand. denigrating those who seem to be not as up to speed as some of us who own a LEAF and are not on this forum isn't the right path to follow.
No, you don't seem to be diminishing my comments and I wasn't denigrating my neighbor, either. Just stating facts, i.e. that as the thread title says, I was surprised at a Leafer's lack of knowledge. I would have been equally surprised if I had found out that my neighbor had bought any car without researching its capabilities or limitations at all, such as buying something with a terrible safety record or terrible rate of repair record, or buying it to go off-road when it didn't have 4WD without being aware of those things. There are plenty of people who buy cars that are "cool" or "cute", etc., but I am always surprised when professionals (he's a venture capitalist, she's a doctor) buy a car with such little knowledge.

Oftter to take it off it off his hands at a good price

Rat said:

Or maybe they just want to spend more time justifying $90k+ car after the sale.

apvbguy said:
TomT said:
FWIW:
most Tesla owners are far more fanatical/passionate about their cars than Leaf owners seem to be.
Almost to the point of being almost evangelical about the virtues of their Tesla

kieranmullen said:
I have one, I don't need to justify my purchase and I do not have a need to preach to others about the car's greatness however if asked I will sing accolades all day long. I also am quite aware of the limitations and faults of the car as well and unlike the disciples of elon I don't go out of my way to browbeat nonbelievers and those who make note of some of the many missteps taken by Tesla like some of the self aggrandizing fan boys do.
woe betide the person who doesn't kneel at the alter tesla

apvbguy said:
kieranmullen said:
I have one, I don't need to justify my purchase and I do not have a need to preach to others about the car's greatness however if asked I will sing accolades all day long. I also am quite aware of the limitations and faults of the car as well and unlike the disciples of elon I don't go out of my way to browbeat nonbelievers and those who make note of some of the many missteps taken by Tesla like some of the self aggrandizing fan boys do.

your view is typical of a "inside looking inwards" view and I can tell you there are just as many LEAF drivers that feel the exact same way

Who is your message directed at. I would not mind having a Tesla either. I subscribe to reddit.com/r/Tesla
Here is to model 3!

DaveinOlyWA said:
apvbguy said:
kieranmullen said:

your view is typical of a "inside looking inwards" view and I can tell you there are just as many LEAF drivers that feel the exact same way

kieranmullen said:
Who is your message directed at. I would not mind having a Tesla either. I subscribe to reddit.com/r/Tesla
Here is to model 3!

not to you. the other guy is wrong. he thinks Tesla drivers are more informed because they are richer, spent more money on the cars or whatever other cracked logic he is using and he is dead wrong. Tesla drivers are no more fanatical about their cars than LEAF drivers.

there are many Tesla drivers that just drive the car and care less about the details just as there are many LEAF drivers. Go to the Tesla forums and I can guarantee their membership does not comprise even a ¼ of Tesla owners, just as the representation here does not come close to matching the number of LEAFers out there.

my "inside looking inwards" statement is exactly that. his only point of reference is people at at Tesla centric forum and why would anyone think otherwise. but using that experience to make a blanket statement implying LEAF owners don't care, are naive or whatever else is insulting, unfounded and pathetic

DaveinOlyWA" not to you. the other guy is wrong. he thinks Tesla drivers are more informed because they are richer said:
who was it that said Tesla owners are better informed because they're richer or bought higher priced cars?
who was it that said Leaf owners are naive or don't care?

johnrhansen said:
They have to sell to the masses. And the masses don't care. I think the world would be a better place in many ways if the masses smartened up a bit and became more engaged and curious about the world around them, but alas, this is not so. At least there are some people like like that.

I agree.
Most of us "early adopters" were really into it.
Engineers or same brain type.
Most people don't know dick about anything, especially their cars.

Perhaps this "it's just a Car" is a sign of progress and acceptance, but their ignorance will cause discontent when the EV limitations rear their ugly head and they are clueless.

apvbguy said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
not to you. the other guy is wrong. he thinks Tesla drivers are more informed because they are richer, spent more money on the cars or whatever other cracked logic he is using and he is dead wrong. Tesla drivers are no more fanatical about their cars than LEAF drivers.

there are many Tesla drivers that just drive the car and care less about the details just as there are many LEAF drivers. Go to the Tesla forums and I can guarantee their membership does not comprise even a ¼ of Tesla owners, just as the representation here does not come close to matching the number of LEAFers out there.

my "inside looking inwards" statement is exactly that. his only point of reference is people at at Tesla centric forum and why would anyone think otherwise. but using that experience to make a blanket statement implying LEAF owners don't care, are naive or whatever else is insulting, unfounded and pathetic
who was it that said Tesla owners are better informed because they're richer or bought higher priced cars?
who was it that said Leaf owners are naive or don't care?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=384207#p384207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maybe I am reading more into your words than you are really saying but I have had the chance to know or run into a few dozen Tesla owners and other than the half dozen I knew before they got their Teslas, they were very much into several things including two who I originally met on a Prius site

but I have also run into Tesla owners in the wild over a dozen times and only two showed any knowledge beyond the "its got 4 wheels" mentality. Maybe its doctors (ya lets perpetuate another stereotype!!) since most of these were in or around medical facilities but the only Tesla owner I have encountered so far that knew more than the basics of EVs was a 7-Eleven Franchisee.

either way, I overreacted and I am sorry but I stand by my statement that your statement is too myopic.

obtw; trashing the quotes makes it hard to realize what you were saying. I saw your post about a half dozen times before I realized you had said anything

DaveinOlyWA said:
maybe I am reading more into your words than you are really saying but I have had the chance to know or run into a few dozen Tesla owners and other than the half dozen I knew before they got their Teslas, they were very much into several things including two who I originally met on a Prius site

but I have also run into Tesla owners in the wild over a dozen times and only two showed any knowledge beyond the "its got 4 wheels" mentality. Maybe its doctors (ya lets perpetuate another stereotype!!) since most of these were in or around medical facilities but the only Tesla owner I have encountered so far that knew more than the basics of EVs was a 7-Eleven Franchisee.

either way, I overreacted and I am sorry but I stand by my statement that your statement is too myopic.

obtw; trashing the quotes makes it hard to realize what you were saying. I saw your post about a half dozen times before I realized you had said anything
nonetheless, you put words into my mouth and I'd appreciate that you do not do that again. I said NOTHING about the income levels of owners of any cars and I said NOTHING about leaf owners caring or being disinterested in their cars.
there can be a misreading of the words but you've made up something that I never said or even implied

johnrhansen said:

+1

Back