Nissan Leaf EVSE upgrade - Reviews? Reliable?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
wait a second!! who says the EVSE upgrade only does 4.8 KW? pretty sure mine is programmable up to 25 amps or 6 KW? and yes that would require a 40 amp circuit but you could also set it for 24 amps (5.76 KW) and a 30 amp circuit would work just fine.
The evseupgrade.com web site says so Dave.
2013 forward modified only goes to 20 amps, needs 30 amp circuit.
2011 or 2012 modified only goes to 16 amps, needs 20 amp circuit.

oh... ok, so I got an "exception?"

For the first 2 months of Leaf ownership, we got by pretty well with the supplied EVSE at 120v. As we became more comfortable with the car we've started pushing its limits a little more, leaving the van parked as much as we can. After a few times of not being able to charge the car back up after a long day, we gave in and installed a Clipper Creek HCS40 last week.

Wow! We feel so much more relaxed about using our car now, and have been able to park the van 90% of the time. It's also nice to be able to keep the supplied unit in the car for emergencies and visits to friends and family just out of return-trip range. It's also been very convenient to have a permanently installed unit.

We seriously considered the upgraded EVSE, and even called them for a chat...very nice folks! In the end, it just made more sense to us to have one in the car all the time, just in case, especially since the public charging network is pretty thin in Canada.

Hope this helps...

John

it just made more sense to have one in the car at all times...
We keep our EVSE upgrade in the car at all times. It pairs up well with the Quick220 box so when we are on the road we can charge at 220/240 if we find two separate 110/120 outlets. Since we regularly go to a location that has no 240 outlet, this has become a mainstay to increase our travel range.

So no, not necessary to install 240 outlet to use EVSE upgrade if u also get the quick220 dot com box that combines two circuits.

DaveinOlyWA said:
TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
wait a second!! who says the EVSE upgrade only does 4.8 KW? pretty sure mine is programmable up to 25 amps or 6 KW? and yes that would require a 40 amp circuit but you could also set it for 24 amps (5.76 KW) and a 30 amp circuit would work just fine.
The evseupgrade.com web site says so Dave.
2013 forward modified only goes to 20 amps, needs 30 amp circuit.
2011 or 2012 modified only goes to 16 amps, needs 20 amp circuit.

oh... ok, so I got an "exception?"
No, you didn't get an exception. The international units can support up to 25A depending on the local area. But the USA unit is limited to 20A only.

Volusiano said:
No, you didn't get an exception. The international units can support up to 25A depending on the local area. But the USA unit is limited to 20A only.
Why the difference?

I only found that info on the new complete limited time $649 special.
The upgrade page does not mention international option.

TimLee said:
Volusiano said:
Why the difference?

I only found that info on the new complete limited time $649 special.
The upgrade page does not mention international option.
Right, the upgrade page says that it's only for North American LEAF EVSE (I guess that means Canada included?).

They only say the new one (with $649 special) may have 25A option for international orders. I have no idea why the difference either. I would love to know that, too.

Mine is 25 amps, also. But, I also got one of the very first 2013 units. I had to buy the whole thing, as I didn't have a LEAF and the 2011-2012 LEAF charge cable doesn't work on the Rav4 EV, or other Tesla products.

TonyWilliams said:
... 2011-2012 LEAF charge cable doesn't work on the Rav4 EV, or other Tesla products.
Any info on why they don't work?
Is it like Nissan's 2011 / 2012 J1772 implementation having compatibility problems with the GE Wattstations?

Eire32 said:
Hi,

New to the EV scene. I am looking to charge faster than the standard 110v supply that came with my 2013 Nissan Leaf.

Just wondering will the EVSE upgrade to the existing 2013 Nissan supplied 110v EVSE to make it 220v capable work as good,better, or worse, than say a wall mounted level 2 EVSE such as the Siemens?

The upgrade costs $287, while a new Siemens Level 2 will cost me $600.
Will it get the same result?

As I have a number of other EV projects at home so cutting costs would be great if possible.

Just do this and get a 12Amp L2 charger at 240V
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Costs just $25

TimLee said:
TonyWilliams said:
... 2011-2012 LEAF charge cable doesn't work on the Rav4 EV, or other Tesla products.
Is it like Nissan's 2011 / 2012 J1772 implementation having compatibility problems with the GE Wattstations?

The issue is strictly a Panasonic one, and how Tesla interprets the J1772 pilot signal.

I don't believe the 2011-2012 Panasonic (produced for LEAF) puts out negative 12 volts.

The 2013 and later Panasonic is compatible.

There is a third Panasonic design used in the Toyota Plug-In Prius and Rav4 EV that also works fine.

Of course, the JESLAtm works in all J1772 cars, from 100-250 volts and 12 to 40 amps.

If you attempt the $25 mod that maini is recommending, it is AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
It worked for maini as maini is careful and has a good electrical knowledge and is an Electrical Engineer.
A large % of people are not qualified to do that.

I had my EVSE upgraded after one month of L1 charging my 2012. I have 27k miles now and it is my main way of charging at home (240v) and on the road (L1). I have a box that I keep it in with a 12Ga extension cord to make the transfer a non issue.

It has worked flawlessly. No issues.

TonyWilliams said:
TimLee said:
TonyWilliams said:

The issue is strictly a Panasonic one, and how Tesla interprets the J1772 pilot signal.

I don't believe the 2011-2012 Panasonic (produced for LEAF) puts out negative 12 volts.

The 2013 and later Panasonic is compatible.

There is a third Panasonic design used in the Toyota Plug-In Prius and Rav4 EV that also works fine.

Of course, the JESLAtm works in all J1772 cars, from 100-250 volts and 12 to 40 amps.
FWIW:
my upgraded EVSE works well charging my Tesla

TonyWilliams said:
Mine is 25 amps, also. But, I also got one of the very first 2013 units. I had to buy the whole thing, as I didn't have a LEAF and the 2011-2012 LEAF charge cable doesn't work on the Rav4 EV, or other Tesla products.

just set mine to 24 amps to see if it could be done and according to the light flashes, its now 24 amps as advertised and my confusion is unlike Tony's, mine is one of the LAST 2013 EVSE upgrades receiving mine in Jan of this year...

either way, due to having Zinsco breakers, I will still only charge at 20 amps and it has proven to be sufficient for me. in just 90 minutes to 2 hours, I am able to get a significant boost in range.

apvbguy said:
TonyWilliams said:
apvbguy said:
FWIW:
my upgraded EVSE works well charging my Tesla

Which EVSE are you referring to? Yes, the Nissan / Panasonic built for the 2013 and newer LEAF is not a problem.
that's the one I have

If you have a 2013 and newer Panasonic / LEAF charge cord, it will work with Tesla powered products.

DaveinOlyWA said:
just set mine to 24 amps to see if it could be done and according to the light flashes, its now 24 amps as advertised and my confusion is unlike Tony's, mine is one of the LAST 2013 EVSE upgrades receiving mine in Jan of this year...
Phil may provide some clarification when vacation is over.

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Phil may provide some clarification when vacation is over.

clarify??

Back