Thread for suggested locations for Nissan Charge Stations?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NISSAN REP,

Please somehow "ask" (read demand) that as part of your dealer network, to help the adoption of the leaf that all dealers make their level 2 charging (free or for fee) available 24x7. On Sundays, and other non-dealer days, the charger needs to be available.

Thank you

DougWantsALeaf said:
NISSAN REP,

Please somehow "ask" (read demand) that as part of your dealer network, to help the adoption of the leaf that all dealers make their level 2 charging (free or for fee) available 24x7. On Sundays, and other non-dealer days, the charger needs to be available.

Thank you

I don't know about the 'demand' part but I do agree with the thrust of this.... Nissan should be aware that when they install EVSE at dealers and where in some cases it is not available 24x7, then in some ways this is really not that useful (outside of usefulness to the dealer and drivers during business hours).

Around here the two Nissan dealers don't seem to be open Sundays (when I usually need a charger in their area) and of course nights. I've discussed this with them and I guess it's a security issue from their standpoint. All the entrances are blocked off, to prevent theft.

I have in mind that not only is it not available 24x7 at the two Tucson dealerships, but there is a new Ford construction going on, on a key route where there is no EVSE to speak of (headed to Nogales), and it is a sister dealership to one of the Nissan dealerships. It has been difficult to get traction on the matter of speaking to them about constructing their EVSE so it can be reached 24x7 (they may be doing this, but I haven't had a conversation where that comes out).

Maybe part of the answer would be in some cases to locate a Chargepoint or other networked charger near the Nissan or other dealer, such as at a gas station, or just a few feet outside the dealer lot, in a well-lit area (if such exists) by agreement or arrangement with the dealer or Nissan.

Be great to have DC quick chargers along 5 or 99 and 101... agree about Monterey... and then why not king city and Atascadero... then Santa Barbara.

cwerdna said:
How about some between San Jose and Salinas or Monterey, CA?

From a quick check on Plugshare, I see no "High Power Stations" when you go south of San Jose in that direction other than some Tesla Superchargers in Gilroy.

I used to sometimes visit Monterey (and may be doing so more in the future) and from where I live in the South Bay, I can barely make it to Monterey but it seems it'd be rather inconvenient, costly and/or time consuming to find and use L2 to make the return trip.

I did want to visit http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Pebble Beach to test drive some cars (went last year) but Leafing there and back would be impractical.
To follow up on this, I learned about the DC FC at CHOMP recently (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=354353#p354353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Weird location...

IMHO, there should be a DC FC in Morgan Hill or Gilroy. And, maybe there should be another at a midpoint between Morgan Hill/Gilroy and CHOMP.

Beside the CHOMP location, some in/around Monterey and Carmel would be nice. All of this would help enable travel between the Bay Area and Monterey/Carmel. Morgan Hill and Gilroy would enable travel to Watsonville and Gilroy (where there are factory outlets).

Some DC FCs in Santa Cruz and maybe Scotts Valley would be helpful in enabling traveling to Santa Cruz from much of the Bay Area.

"Beside the CHOMP location, some in/around Monterey and Carmel would be nice. All of this would help enable travel between the Bay Area and Monterey/Carmel. Morgan Hill and Gilroy would enable travel to Watsonville and Gilroy (where there are factory outlets).

Some DC FCs in Santa Cruz and maybe Scotts Valley would be helpful in enabling traveling to Santa Cruz from much of the Bay Area." Posted by cwerdna

I wholeheartedly agree with the above quote.

FWIW, I'd selfishly like to see a fast charger outside of (i.e.: actually open to the public 24x7 the Ford Dealership (which is under new ownership) at exit 69 on I-19 south of Tucson. I am fine with paying to use the charger. I have several times attempted to find a way to communicate with ownership at the company which has recently taken ownership (which also owns the dealership that leased me my Nissan) and have run into a wall of nothingness. I will apparently never be allowed to speak with anyone high up at that organization.

So, Nissan could cut through some bureaucracy for me here by helping me to communicate with the local dealership to identify if this situation warrants consideration of putting in an open-to the-public fast-charger.

However, since there are only a very tiny number of BEVs located south of this area, (less than half-a-dozen I'll estimate) I could see the arguments against it. It won't get much use.

Anyone have more? This thread's been dormant for over 6 months.
cwerdna said:
To follow up on this, I learned about the DC FC at CHOMP recently (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=354353#p354353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Weird location...

IMHO, there should be a DC FC in Morgan Hill or Gilroy. And, maybe there should be another at a midpoint between Morgan Hill/Gilroy and CHOMP.

Beside the CHOMP location, some in/around Monterey and Carmel would be nice. All of this would help enable travel between the Bay Area and Monterey/Carmel. Morgan Hill and Gilroy would enable travel to Watsonville and Gilroy (where there are factory outlets).

Some DC FCs in Santa Cruz and maybe Scotts Valley would be helpful in enabling traveling to Santa Cruz from much of the Bay Area.
There's been nothing new in terms of CHAdeMO at the above suggested locations. Maybe besides the above locations, Watsonville would be nice too.

Then we still have a huge hole between Monterey and San Luis Obisbo and Santa Barbara.

I would suggest replacing a couple of the Blink Level 2 units at the Hampton Inn, Dupont WA with a QC. That is about half way between Fife and Tumwater and would fill a gap south of Seattle.

TaylorSFGuy said:
I would suggest replacing a couple of the Blink Level 2 units at the Hampton Inn, Dupont WA with a QC. That is about half way between Fife and Tumwater and would fill a gap south of Seattle.
You really want Blink?

If they're non-networked, Clipper Creek would be the way to go. If networked, I think Chargepoint would be a better choice. Their hardware seems to be more reliable and it seems like hardware of their network is repaired more quickly.

cwerdna said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
You really want Blink?

If they're non-networked, Clipper Creek would be the way to go. If networked, I think Chargepoint would be a better choice. Their hardware seems to be more reliable and it seems like hardware of their network is repaired more quickly.

I proposed Blink because there are 4 level 2 units there now. No other reason.

TaylorSFGuy said:
cwerdna said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
You really want Blink?

Whoops! I misread your post thinking that you wanted Blink L2 EVSEs. My bad. :oops:

Neither Clipper Creek nor Chargepoint make any DC FCs.

cwerdna said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
cwerdna said:
You really want Blink?

Whoops! I misread your post thinking that you wanted Blink L2 EVSEs. My bad. :oops:

Neither Clipper Creek nor Chargepoint make any DC FCs.

Of the two Tucson Quick charge stations, one is at a Nissan Dealership (ABB I think is the manufacturer) and one is on the Chargepoint network, but Chargepoint has various manufacturers and participants in its network. So, while I think you are correct about Chargepoint not making DCQC, this does not preclude a Quick charge station from being on the Chargepoint network but being made by some other manufacturer.

The other station in Tucson has been somewhat troubled (though in the end, I've used it successfully about a dozen times over the last year, so it does work). There is a second similar one northwest of Tucson which has been bad. Both I think are Eaton hardware and this in the end has (as best I can tell, though I don't know all sides of it) been a contributing aspect of the reported issues.

http://www.plugshare.com/?location=18180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the one to the northwest:
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/11856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've used the Nissan dealer quick charger once and everything went smoothly. This was at the dealership I've dealt with for my Leaf. I just wish they would:

- locate the charge stations outside the dealership walls so they'd be available outside dealership hours.
- consider locating in other areas, such as outside the walls of sister dealerships.

In response to your other earlier question as to updates:
1. The other day when I went to the CHAdeMO website, I couldn't get the map to work for me, but now it does seem to do so, providing an overview of the present status in the US:

http://www.chademo.com/wp/usmap/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. I started a different thread recently as to trying to address some frustration with the slow pace of DCQC rollout in many areas, and outside of major cities:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Point of Disappointment with Nissan - no DCQCs yet on my rte
Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Just to emphasize, the main point (for me) of making known this point is not to engage in complaining, but to help Nissan understand that this is one of a smaller number of points that are of higher importance to me as a Leaf driver, and so am hoping they take it constructively.

this chart seems helpful overall for getting a sense of progress on installing DCQC around the world:

http://www.chademo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/changeinchargingstation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have suggested at some other time (I don't recall in which thread) and will re-suggest here:

An interesting feature to a map like this:

http://www.chademo.com/wp/usmap/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this:

http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

might be if someone were to create a way to mark the maps with locations that don't presently have charging, but for which drivers would like to "vote" that a charge station be installed.

jlsoaz said:
Of the two Tucson Quick charge stations, one is at a Nissan Dealership (ABB I think is the manufacturer) and one is on the Chargepoint network, but Chargepoint has various manufacturers and participants in its network. So, while I think you are correct about Chargepoint not making DCQC, this does not preclude a Quick charge station from being on the Chargepoint network but being made by some other manufacturer.
Yep. The http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at http://www.plugshare.com/?location=14866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; got put on Chargepoint months ago. I'd imagine it was part of the http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; effort.

State of VA has 8 DC chargers, 7 of them are within 20 miles of each other around Alexandria/DC. Sure would be nice to have 1 around Richmond or Williamsburg and Norfolk.

jlv said:
I'm sure it's been asked before, but why is Nissan letting the dealers shoot it in the foot? Things like CHAdeMOs being unavailable after dealership hours just make the thin infrastructure far less useful.

(I was recently surprised to find the DC I used at 9PM on a Sunday night a few months ago is now padlocked even during business hours!)

Good question, one I've been mulling over, though not phrased the same way. I guess I've been seeing it as Nissan framing their approach to US EVSE partially through their dealerships, but not realizing this isn't that useful to us. Sometimes I think of the baseball addage "Hit it where they ain't". It's not that it's really the same principle, but I can't help but think of it. Tesla puts a superCharger in the middle of nowhere, but that doesn't mean they're wrong, it means (IMO) they're doing a good job of thinking through the matter of making it easier for their drivers to consider where they want to go and charging they might need along the way.

Dealership placement: Don't park regular cars in the charge spot. The dealership near me is not very good about this since the charge spot is right by their service bay door.

I have heard of a few people going up Rt 1 to Acadia National Park in Maine. Right now there are dealership charge spots on the highway, but of course the highway sucks down the mileage. It would be great to have charge spots up and down coastal rt 1. But really, wouldn't it be awesome if the dealers all teamed up together and connected every national park by charging stations!! *I can dream*

Seems like Nissan is soliciting input at https://www.facebook.com/NissanElectric/videos/10155271614597796/.

They said
In honor of National Drive Electric Week, we're asking you where you'd like to see the nation's largest metro-area fast-charging network expand. Share the city you think needs extra charging support with #LEAFCharger.
Go comment on that thread on where and why.

Back