I want my 281!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after 17 months of ownership (and I guess around 5 months sitting in the dealer lot from Sept through Feb, 2011), after 18,800 miles lost my first capacity bar at 232 Gids at 100% charge.

My Gids have been falling like a rock from 252 to 232 in a span of last 6 weeks, and so have the temps been rising from a high of 78 to 99 today. Since I got the Gid meter in Feb this year, I have been getting a steady 252 Gids through March, April, May and then from June it has been steadily falling almost every other day.

Have been charging to 80% or less for the first 10K miles and then 100% every workday for the next 8K miles. I am squeezing every electron that is available using all plausible hyper mileage techniques to get through my 68 miles commute, of which 55 are highway miles.

mkjayakumar said:
after 17 months of ownership (and I guess around 5 months sitting in the dealer lot from Sept through Feb, 2011), after 18,800 miles lost my first capacity bar at 232 Gids at 100% charge.
My Gids have been falling like a rock from 252 to 232 in a span of last 6 weeks
My car has just over 14,000 miles and I am down to 91% on the GID meter now. Not very good for a car that is less than 2 years old.

It does seem like the summer temps bring out the worst in this battery pack. I really do hope that LEAF 2.0 has a much larger battery pack.

is this kind of degradation in battery performance normal?

20-30 % in 15 to 30 thousand miles? I plan to put 30,000 or more miles on this car per YEAR at the minimum.

what kind of range will I have in a year?

how does the warranty factor into this?

so WARM kills it ? summers can hit 100' here (SE PA) ?? but more typical is 80-85 and humid as all crap.

Probably should have clarified...

heat and duration

Take a look at the city list in this document:

http://electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Find the one nearest to your location.

The weather in the northeast U.S. doesn't stay warm enough, long enough to have the same impact as, say, the weather in Florida, Texas, southern Arizona, etc.

evnow said:
I've been geting 276. I once got 279.

But my 80% charges have all been 231.

Anyway after 100% charge the SOC meter goes down so fast, it hardly matters whether we get 276 or 281.

Lucky you. My 80% charges run to 204. My 100% charge is 251. It still gets me to my destinations and that is what counts.

TickTock said:
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 am
I just found this thread and spent the last 2 hours slogging through all the history. Very interested in the subject since I cannot seem to come even close to 281. 80% charge takes me to ~195 and 100% charge takes me to ~240. At least the ratio 100/80 is within error bars but the high value is disturbing to me. Particularly since I only get ~46 mile from 80% to LBW (no freeway). I am in PHX and up until mwalsh's last post was thinking temp could be my culprit (I start the charge at 6pm when the garage is still ~100F). However, last night I plugged in at 11pm (garage was considerably cooler) and still hit only 197 gids and 386V on an 80% charge.
Alas 3-1/2 years after first reporting my degradation on this forum (and not being believed by many of you I might add.. at first anyway ;) ) I have finally received my new battery. I could have sooner but chose to wait as long as possible to maximize my ROI on the first battery and ensure I get the latest chemistry. I had to leave town hours after taking possession so no 100% charge numbers yet, but at the dealer I read 270 gids on a 89.8% SOC. Assuming full charge gets me to 96% that should be 288 or so gids! Oddly, the pack voltage was 393.9V which prior to the swap was what I saw on a full charge so maybe the SOC reading was off. Once I get back I'll find out. Maybe I will finally get my 281! Other details from the sample are: 99.8 HX; 100% SOH; 66.14 AH.

P.S. The dealership I took it too (Earnhardt Nissan off Superstition Springs in the Phx area) was awesome and took great care of both me and the car. Highly recommend them for anyone else planning service in that area.

TickTock said:
Alas 3-1/2 years after first reporting my degradation on this forum (and not being believed by many of you I might add.. at first anyway ;) ) I have finally received my new battery.
Great news, congrats! Look forward to reading more posts from you on the topic, time permitting.

TickTock said:
I have finally received my new battery. I could have sooner but chose to wait as long as possible to maximize my ROI on the first battery and ensure I get the latest chemistry
Yay! I'm surprised you didn't wait a bit longer - perhaps to be the first documented 6 bar loser?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how your replacement pack holds up in the Phoenix heat. :)

TickTock said:
Alas 3-1/2 years after first reporting my degradation on this forum (and not being believed by many of you I might add.. at first anyway ;) ) I have finally received my new battery. I could have sooner but chose to wait as long as possible to maximize my ROI on the first battery and ensure I get the latest chemistry. I had to leave town hours after taking possession so no 100% charge numbers yet, but at the dealer I read 270 gids on a 89.8% SOC. Assuming full charge gets me to 96% that should be 288 or so gids! Oddly, the pack voltage was 393.9V which prior to the swap was what I saw on a full charge so maybe the SOC reading was off. Once I get back I'll find out. Maybe I will finally get my 281! Other details from the sample are: 99.8 HX; 100% SOH; 66.14 AH.

P.S. The dealership I took it too (Earnhardt Nissan off Superstition Springs in the Phx area) was awesome and took great care of both me and the car. Highly recommend them for anyone else planning service in that area.

Based on 270 Gids and 393.9 volts at about 90% SOC, it is clear that you received the new battery chemistry. Those numbers look like what I am seeing with my 2015. A full charge for my 2015 yields about 292 Gids (saw 293 once or twice) and 395.5 volts. I have also had good service over the years from the Earnhardt chain, but their Nissan dealership is too far from my house.

Enjoy the increased (restored) range!

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
TickTock said:

Based on 270 Gids and 393.9 volts at about 90% SOC, it is clear that you received the new battery chemistry. Those numbers look like what I am seeing with my 2015. A full charge for my 2015 yields about 292 Gids (saw 293 once or twice) and 395.5 volts. I have also had good service over the years from the Earnhardt chain, but their Nissan dealership is too far from my house.

Enjoy the increased (restored) range!

Gerry
I got my 281! :D
Back in town and my first full charge (after sitting at 50% charge for a week) brought me to 284 gids at 94% SOC and 394.5V. I also got a read on the ESR on my drive to work this morning. My old battery was hovering around 160mO at 54% SOH & 33.5 Hx (it was 90mO at 71% SOH & 50.3 Hx when I first started tracking ESR). The new one read 78mO this morning at 100% SOH & 99.6 Hx.

Back