BESIDES MORE RANGE, what would you like to see in LEAF gen 2

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked and at least some VW group cars (here in Czechia) have option for heated windshield for around €400-500.

No idea if this has been suggested (or better, requested), but more driver legroom, for goodness sake. There's little reason that they can't make the driver's seat go back a little more. I imagine that >99% of all miles driven are done with either no one or a 'small person' behind the driver, so why not allow that seat to go back two or three more inches?!

mbender said:
No idea if this has been suggested (or better, requested), but more driver legroom, for goodness sake. There's little reason that they can't make the driver's seat go back a little more. I imagine that >99% of all miles driven are done with either no one or a 'small person' behind the driver, so why not allow that seat to go back two or three more inches?!
Yes! Actually, for me it would suffice just to add a telescoping steering column. I have my seat as far back as I can to accommodate my legs but feeling like I'm riding an ape-hanger since I have to stretch to reach the steering wheel. Adding to my list..

1) third-party apps on the info center - I think a lot of the features being asked for would easily be accommodated if Nissan would only allow these with access to canbus traffic (read only), GPS, and charge start AND stop control.
2) phone mic mute button on the steering wheel (seriously - having to take my eyes off the road to find it on the touch screen is safety hazard). Perhaps make it so a long press of the phone button on the steering wheel hangs up but a short press just mutes.
3) fully recessed rear headrests that do no obstruct vision.
4) Lose the tree
5) Telescoping steering wheel

mbender said:

One reason I can think of the positioning of the mounts of the seatbelt relative to your torso. If you are too far back, the seatbelt may be too far forward to be effective. It's the same reason why it's not recommended that a passenger (or driver for that matter) have their seat too far reclined when the car is in motion.

The best way to solve that issue is to use seats with seatbelt anchors and retractors built in, like some convertibles and pickup trucks (particularly the extended cab ones with the "suicide" rear doors) do. But that adds cost.

It may sound petty but one of the things I'd like to see is a GREEN Leaf.

I'm not a Leaf owner myself but if Nissan can get one with a 120 mile range I'd jump on it. GREEN would seal the deal.

For me, EV is viable option only if:
EPA range is at least around 200 miles
Battery has TMS to keep battery at ideal temperatures

important, but not critical:
good set of active safety systems (automatic braking etc)
access to well developed network of fast (100+KW) chargers - so either Tesla superchargers or something similar.

Budget for my next car is around $50-60K.

evnow said:
donald said:
If you are talking about 'environmental impacts' then give up on discussing having more range.

EVs have a lower lifetime CO2 emission because they 'only' have ~25kWh of battery. Double the emissions for producing a battery twice as large and you wipe out the lifetime CO2 savings compared with an equivalent ICE. If you have to replace a battery twice as large during its lifetime, then you've really destroyed the argument for EVs over ICE, on CO2 grounds.
Problem with this argument is the hidden assumption - battery twice as large takes double the emissions to make.

The idea is to advance the technology and get higher density batteries - not just have bigger batteries.

But in a larger context, the adoption rate of EVs is strongly dependent upon the available range. So the total CO2 saved depends on how the range vs. adoption curves interact.

mdjones said:

I'm not a Leaf owner myself but if Nissan can get one with a 120 mile range I'd jump on it. GREEN would seal the deal.

+1 they need a nice green. I think maybe they avoid it as cliche.

I'm considering Plasti-Dip for my next (probably leased) LEAF. I did the wheels on my current one and it has held up great. Easily removable.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm waiting for the reformulation that will make the product compliant with CA air quality laws.

Nubo said:
mdjones said:

+1 they need a nice green. I think maybe they avoid it as cliche.
FYI a member here did buy a green wrap for their LEAF (awesome picture). I agree though that Nissan should offer one factory-made.

Moof said:
donald said:
If you are talking about 'environmental impacts' then give up on discussing having more range.

EVs have a lower lifetime CO2 emission because they 'only' have ~25kWh of battery. Double the emissions for producing a battery twice as large and you wipe out the lifetime CO2 savings compared with an equivalent ICE. If you have to replace a battery twice as large during its lifetime, then you've really destroyed the argument for EVs over ICE, on CO2 grounds.

Nice write-up:
http://environment.ucla.edu/media/files/BatteryElectricVehicleLCA2012.pdf

Indeed, the battery carbon footprint of a Leaf sized battery is non-trivial. ..... snip.........
I think your assumptions discount the relatively high percentage of owners with PV solar. You CAN run your EV carbon free. Gasoline on the other hand is not only carbon intense while burning - the same is true of its manufacturing / transportation / acquisition via hostile countries etc.

Moof said:
Unfortunately, it looks like he's screwed up the figures.

In figure 10 he appears to be suggesting that the manufacture of a 1500kg car will only generate some 500kg of CO2. The figure is around 6 to 7 tonnes. He only points to references that I cannot access, not what they actually say. I think he's missed a '0' somewhere, or misunderstood what they wrote.

Likewise with the battery, a 24kWh battery also causes the emission of around 5 tonnes of CO2, making about 10 tonnes altogether for an EV.

The battery car should therefore start off with around 4 tonnes of CO2 emissions ahead of an ICE. An 85kWh car would start off around 15 tonnes ahead of a 7 tonnes of manufacturing emissions for the ICE.

If the ICE is generating a tonne of CO2 every 3000 miles and the EV's combined electricity sources generates a tonne's worth every 10,000 miles, it's catching up at the rate of around 2 tonnes per 10k miles. So to catch up the 4 tonnes, it will do so within 20,000 miles. For the 85kWh car, it will take 80,000 miles to catch up on CO2.

If you double your Leaf's battery capacity, you have added 5 tonnes of CO2 to your usage profile. If you drove it for 50k miles, the extra battery size would account for ~30% of all the CO2 emissions your car has caused during manufacture and use to that point.

If there was an option offered to have either 24kWh or 48kWh batteries, you can reduce your CO2 footprint by a third over 50k miles by asking for the 24kWh battery.

Higher efficiency, more miles per kwh. This effectively increases range, decreases required battery size, decreases weight, decreases charge time (for a given range), decreases fuel costs (ever so slightly) or some combination of the above. Imagine a 5.5 mile per kwh efficiency. That could mean a 30% smaller, lighter battery? 30% faster charge time? OR 30% greater range?

I wish I knew how to estimate the efficiency gains if the car was 150lbs lighter and had a .23cd. Would that get the Leaf to 30% more efficient? I wouldn't mind more of a kamm back look or other changes for better aerodynamics. Making the passenger area shorter and going with a more reclined seating position and thus a slightly longer car wouldn't bother me. That would not only help the cd but also decrease the frontal area.

Back