Utah Public Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the latest word from the city. I got this yesterday ( 9/17/2014)
Hi Kyle,

I’ve heard that the issues we’re experiencing with our stations are not uncommon and others are waiting for a similar long-term fix with these units. We’ll continue to track the problem, and potential solutions, and I’ll be updating our SLCgov.com site once more details are available and/or the units are functioning:

http://www.slcgov.com/transportation/transportation-electric-vehicle-charging-stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Tyler

I think we need more phone calls to the city on this issue.

I still haven't heard back from the city on those two, but according to comments on Plugshare, the Ken Garff Nissan quick-charger is also down, meaning (I think) that there aren't any chargers in SLC proper. I'm glad I don't rely on these often, as there seem to be problems keeping them running.

This is the latest news I have from the mayors office. Does not sound good at all.
Hi Kyle,

I’ve been in contact with the Office of Sustainability regarding your inquiry and have been provided additional background and an update. This information I was given is as follows.

“ As you’ve conveyed, these fast-charge stations have been a frustrating experience thus far and we apologize for the inconveniences this has caused.

City staff has been in recurring dialogue with the station manufacturer since performance issues began to surface in early summer. Initially we attempted to resolve the issues with City staff and professional electricians, but were unable to do so. Most recently the manufacturer flew out two technicians to work on the equipment, but they were ultimately unable to fix the stations while onsite. We are awaiting a full report with potential pathways for resolution at this point.

We have involved project partners beyond the manufacturer, including Nissan and the state, in our attempts to get these stations working. Despite a high priority being assigned to this issue, it appears we are dealing with a hardware problem where the solution is not readily available at the moment. I have been told that these aren’t the only stations that have experienced performance issues.

The City will continue to seek a solution for these stations which are an important part of our clean air portfolio. Feel free to contact me at any point for updates. I’ll also add more background to the City’s EV charging page so others can stay informed on the issue.”

If you have further questions please contact
TYLER POULSON
Sustainability Program Manager
OFFICE 801.535.7259

KAYLA ADAMS on behalf of Mayor Becker
Administrative Assistant to the Office of the Mayor
Logistics Coordinator for Internship Program
OFFICE of the MAYOR
SALT LAKE CITY CORPORATION
http://WWW.SLCGOV.COM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for sharing. Nice to know they're working on it, even if nothing's getting resolved.

The city sent me this email today (10/10/2014) regarding the QC stations on 500 south.
An ABB technician visited the stations again earlier this week. One of the stations has an issue that ABB is aware of, but doesn’t have a fix for. They are working on a solution for stations impacted by this problem. In the meantime, we’ve shut-off power to this station (west-side unit).

The east-side station has one bad power module that has been disabled. This station should continue operating, but with a lower power flow than 20 kW.

Unfortunately, these issues appear to be part of a more widespread problem with this hardware. We will continue requesting a long-term solution, but it appears we’re dependent on a much larger set of issues being resolved. Feel free to call with any questions.

Thanks,
Tyler

I got a message from SLC today that ABB has finally agreed to replace the 2 quick chargers on 500 south. No exact date has been set, but hopefully within the next month they will be replaced.

I really hope this extends to all the shoddy ABB chargers over here in CO also. I think that almost every ABB unit in the state is either out or not working correctly.

I'm curious: Were these the same models used on the coasts? It seems like that the upside of waiting so long to get any quick-charge stations would be that the technical kinks would be worked out by the time they made it to Utah. That doesn't seem to be the case. Have problems been so widespread in other areas?

nsps said:
I'm curious: Were these the same models used on the coasts? It seems like that the upside of waiting so long to get any quick-charge stations would be that the technical kinks would be worked out by the time they made it to Utah. That doesn't seem to be the case. Have problems been so widespread in other areas?
http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seem to be most often used at Nissan dealers w/DC FCs. They're not particularly reliable either and require filter cleaning. Downtime for weeks at a time isn't uncommon.

http://www.blinknetwork.com/chargers-commercial-dc-fast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are common on California and they also seem down a lot, for whatever reason, sometimes one port not working, smashed screen or something else (broken connector?).

I hear http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/public_charging/public_charging_b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are common in WA's and OR's http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/electrichighway.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I've heard but haven't confirmed that they're more reliable than the above and also that Aerovironment doesn't make them anymore.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like QC has a lot of improvements to make before reaching the point where it's a reliable solution.

I talked to Tyler Poulson today at Salt Lake City sustainability, he said that ABB has finally agreed to replace the 2 city charge stations. They are supposed to be here any day now.

After arrival the City will have to find a contractor to install the systems and he was not sure how long that would take. Sounds like progress, but a very slow process.

IMG_0007.jpgStopped by the 500 south QC location today and found that the old machines have been removed. Need to call the city and see when the new ones will be installed.

IMG_0008.jpg
Close up of the base where the ABB charge used to be. Hope that the new one will work better than the old one.

Used QC yesterday at both the Nissan dealer in Orem and North Salt Lake. 23% to 80% charge in 30 min at the Orem station. Dealer was closed so we had to hit up the restrooms at the Golden Corral next door. Hostess didn't even stop me when I walked past everyone paying for the buffet :D

Just talked with Tyler Poulson (SLC employee) and the charge stations for the 500 south location have been delivered to the city, but they have NOT been installed yet. The new stations have a larger base and so they will need a new footing poured to fit the larger base.

The new charge stations are also duel cord units. He did not know if they are CHAdeMO and SAE, but that would seem logical if they are.

He would not give me any time estimate on the installation. He would only say they are working on it.

Received this email today.
Good Afternoon,

We received a status update (below) about the malfunctioning EV charging stations by the Leonardo.

The City received the last of the new replacement EV charging stations last week. Modifications to the pedestals and new wiring will be required. The State will reimburse the City for the modifications necessary to get the new units installed and working. We are in the process of bidding the modifications with our Task Order Electrical Contractors. It will take about four-weeks to bid, award and get under Contract and approximately three weeks to complete the construction. If all goes as planned we should be completed by approximately mid-February.

Thanks,

BEN LUEDTKE
Salt Lake City Council Staff

OFFICE of the CITY COUNCIL
SALT LAKE CITY CORPORATION

TEL 801-535-7622

http://WWW.COUNCIL.SLCGOV.COM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
KJD said:
The Quick Charge stations on 500 south in SLC are online now.
<snip> Have you added them to Plugshare?
Have you checked plugshare? ;-)

Looks like they are there to me..
(there are even 2 pics: one must be the old ones; but there's one pic of the new style there already)

desiv

Back