Leaf REx ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
minispeed said:
I know Ghosh doesn't buy into it which is why I think that Nissan won't do it first, but for him to truely support growth he's got to then buy into charging. IE Nissan USA/Canada tell dealers you have to give us space to operate and maintain our quick chargers on your property with 24/7 access and if you park your dealer cars there we will fine you. They then have to have a team that will fix quick chargers within a day. They can partner up like Tesla has and put them at non dealers too. The REx makes the home charger the only one you "need". All the others are a bonus.
A good way to compare super charger & CHAdeMO is IPhone vs Android.

Proprietary, better quality control on Superchargers (iPhone). Open & lower reliability of individual chargers on CHAdeMO (Android). But, if CHAdeMO becomes ubiquitous - that can trump proprietary network and build reliability based on redundancy.

The same way, gas stations have become now.

BTW, what you re suggesting Nissan should do is illegal in the US (most states).

I meant partner up like tesla, not with them (although that would work too). http://insideevs.com/tech-crunch-what-it-takes-to-be-a-tesla-supercharger-partner/

There's no reason they can't push Nissan branded owned chamedo's out strategically where needed. After all android is open but there's still a nexus line.

And I doubt the Nissan run service for chargers would be illegal and that's the most important one.

minispeed said:
And I doubt the Nissan run service for chargers would be illegal and that's the most important one.
What would be illegal is pressuring dealers to provide space & electricity for chargers.

evnow said:
minispeed said:
What would be illegal is pressuring dealers to provide space & electricity for chargers.
Right. They are independent businesses, and it's up to them to decide whether or not they want to do that. While Nissan could pressure them in various ways, they have no way to force them to do this.

With REx leaf you'd probably never need a public charging station and drive cheaper per mile - let's face it, Level 3 charging ain't cheap per mile driven. It's my way of swaying the conversation (sorry) to add another point for REx approach economically speaking: depreciation of a second ICE car that some if not most of us own, must be considered.
Let's say that second car is just a reasonably priced older vehicle that takes on a reasonable depreciation of say $1,000 annually since we don't drive it much. That's + $3,000 that needs to be added to the cost of ownership or to the cost of 3 year lease on the leaf. Registration, insurance and maintenance on the second car become almost negligible compared to depreciation in a lot of cases.
Well that is something to consider in overall personal finance when choosing the next vehicle. If you had a good, solid base of 80-100 EV miles and if your occasional long range trip problem is solved by REx so you wouldn't need that second car, it would probably sway a lot more people to consider REx leaf as their next and only car - that would open the Leaf to a much broader market. I'd love to see that happen, I want nissan to be selling tens of thousands of leafs every month because most of those buyers with doubts about EV's and needs for backup would be driving EV miles for the most part anyway. + It would be cheaper than 150 mile BEV Leaf to begin with (as we have previously discussed in this thread) and REx buyers wouldn't get hit by depreciation on the second (ICE) car that most of us would rather not have (OR if we are a 2-car household anyway, we'd rather have two electric cars). Not a bad option in my view to avoid a double whammy. Options, options....

BestPal I agree. Also there are those households that are only going to have one vehicle no matter what, because of parking or space or just cost limitations. In those cases a 60 mile BEV looks daunting but a 60 mile BEV with a REx is doable. We ended up with three vehicles. Sometimes my wife or I drive 100+ miles RT and we kept the VW Jetta wagon TDI for that. It gets 50+ on the highway and no worries about range with 800+ miles on a tank ;) And then we have the Toyota Sienna van for when we all have to go somewhere at once, with 4 kids the TDI or Leaf are not an option, so it's the van. There are often times when my wife and I are running in two different direction and then we take the TDI and the Leaf with whom is is driving further taking the TDI.

We could get by with a Leaf REx and the van, but right now it is less expensive to keep the TDI for those longer trips and errands than to use the van in that place. We use the Leaf about 1000 miles a month (intentional limiting it because of the lease), the TDI about 1000 miles a month and the van about 750 miles, most of those being 300+ mile trips out of town for swim meets. I think we could easily move about 750 miles from the TDI to a Leaf REx and the remaining 250 miles to the van to cover all driving needs.

BestPal said:
With REx leaf you'd probably never need a public charging station and drive cheaper per mile - let's face it, Level 3 charging ain't cheap per mile driven. It's my way of swaying the conversation (sorry) to add another point for REx approach economically speaking: depreciation of a second ICE car that some if not most of us own, must be considered.
Well, most of us need 2 cars ...

It it definitely makes sense (like I've been saying for years) to have one EV and one PHEV (or REx) in the household. But that PHEV/REx will not be a Leaf REx (that won't anyway get made this decade) - it would have to be a bigger CUV.

Back