Bought an HD Dash Cam for my LEAF - Check it out here...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ybitz, bummer man. At least you came out of that okay.

I ordered the Mini 0803 (updated version of the 0801) yesterday but of course it won't be here for nearly a month. I purchased after reading Lasareath's link to Techmoan, then recently I saw footage from my friend's 0801 mounted in an SUV. He was able to drive inside a mine shaft and I was blown away how good the footage was even in the dark.

I also picked up one of these from Amazon so it can be powered from the Leaf's rearview mirror.

Ooh, didn't know you could power it from the rear view mirror. I'll have to look into it (well, after I buy a replacement Leaf). Are there instructions on wiring it or pretty self evident? Post some pics after you install yours!
Had terrible luck with the tree crushing my Leaf, but also amazing luck walking away from it. Glad to be alive!

Just ordered the G1W from Amazon. I'll do some testing with it and if I like it, I'll purchase another for my wife. Definite necessary in Massachusetts, unfortunately.

I use the G1W in my Leaf. Would recommend, though (as the Amazon reviews say) the camera will fall unless you take some aluminum foil and stick it in the latch. 10 second fix, otherwise a great product so far. Owned it for about a month now.

Here's a video sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePeEDU3CQYw&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hjfeCfmU6E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So far so good. Will see if the video quality degrades over time like my old one; the sun is too intense here in Florida and electronics don't like that much.

I really want a DVR in the trunk and I want 4 to 8 cameras all hidden around the car. Then it can capture everything from all sides.

I've seen a DashCam that has two cameras on it but that's the most, Anybody ever see anything like this?

There are tons of really tiny cams on the market, I might need to do it all myself.

Yeah, two cameras were the most I've seen, and they in general don't work as well as multiple individual ones.
A good dash cam resource: https://dashcamtalk.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm currently playing with a 808 #16, which allows me to extend the lense around 20" iirc. Looks promising. The idea is to keep the 'brain' mounted near the dome light, maybe even above the roof liner, and run the lens from there to the side windows, etc.

I've also been wondering if I can use this approach to store the cameras in the mirror housing and front/trunk like the all-around-view camera. I'm also working on a 'USB UPS', so I can run the cams for many hours using commercial USB battery packs (but might have to resort to building my own pack, unless someone has a better idea).

so many ideas ...

Lasareath, thanks for starting this thread. After reading your post as well as reviews on amazon and on the techmoan site, I ended up getting a Mini 0803, the replacement for the Mini 0801.

The rearview mirror has power for the auto-dimming feature, so the easiest route was to tap the mirror with a small 12V to 5V micro usb transformer I bought on amazon shown here:
20141002_174441.jpg

I used double stick tape to attach the tranformer to the back of the mirror. Then I needed to hide the 5' cord, which I stuffed the excess cable inside a piece of heatshrink and double stick taped it to the back of the mirror as well.
DSC_0980.JPG

And here is the view inside the car; nothing to see here:
DSC_0982.JPG

This is what you see if you look behind the mirror:
DSC_0983.JPG

Video quality is excellent. We all know Youtube drastically compresses video, so this doesn't do it justice at all, but at least you can see the wide angle view. **Be sure to change the video quality to 1080p HD in Youtube by clicking on the little gear icon--otherwise, it's not even worth watching.**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPus6UnyyyE

In the raw video you can very clearly read street signs, license plate numbers, all the important things.

I hope I don't ever need to use the footage, but if I do, I'm glad its there.

Nice video. I think I might go with this unit on my other car.

Looks like Roseville, Loomis, Rocklin area...just got back from there this evening for dinner.

palmermd said:
Nice video. I think I might go with this unit on my other car.

Looks like Roseville, Loomis, Rocklin area...just got back from there this evening for dinner.

I wish I had a place to host the uncompressed video, as it looks far better than what you see on youtube.

And good eye on the location, that was Roseville in the video.

asimba2 said:
The rearview mirror has power for the auto-dimming feature, so the easiest route was to tap the mirror with a small 12V to 5V micro usb transformer I bought on amazon shown here:
20141002_174441.jpg

Can you provide the Amazon link to the 12v-5v converter model? And it was straight forward pulling the existing power cable out of the rear view mirror and splicing this onto it? And I assume the 12v power is shut off from the car's turned off, right?
Thinking about doing this as well, so I can avoid running the usb wire from the cigarette lighter port.

ybitz said:
asimba2 said:
20141002_174441.jpg

Can you provide the Amazon link to the 12v-5v converter model? And it was straight forward pulling the existing power cable out of the rear view mirror and splicing this onto it?

Here is the link for the one I bought. ------>LINK

Wiring was very easy. My non-homelink mirror only had two wires; a black wire with a red stripe closest to the passenger side of the car and a black wire closer to the driver's side. The black-red is positive and the black is ground. I simply removed about 1/8" of insulation from both wires, wrapped the + and - from the transformer around each respective wire, soldered and taped. Done. The transformer gets power in "on" and "ready to drive" mode, and not when off or in accessory mode, which is perfect.

Keep in mind the one I posted is for micro-usb devices, which is exactly what my dashcam is. There might be mini-usb models available as well.

I use the CDR-E05a and have been for quite a while. I beat a speeding ticket with it too. The $300 it saved me more than paid for the cost of the unit.
http://thevideocopilot.com/cdr-e05a-hd-dash-cam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have a wiring diagram? I have 5 wires going to the overhead console in my 2015 Leaf S to power 2 map lights. Not sure which wire is which. I'm sure there are 3 extra wires there I can possibly use.

rspreitzer said:
Anyone have a wiring diagram? I have 5 wires going to the overhead console in my 2015 Leaf S to power 2 map lights. Not sure which wire is which. I'm sure there are 3 extra wires there I can possibly use.
There is some information in this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got my G1W-C (from Spytec on Amazon) and confirmed its not a fake..

I used the power adapter they sent and modded it to hardwire it. Also shortened the USB side of it.

20141116_143809.jpg

20141116_144649.jpg

I put it back in the housing.

20141116_144926.jpg

Strung it through the tunnel.
20141116_150125.jpg

I tapped the wires to the mirror in the headliner and stuffed it all up there.

Complete and clean!
20141116_150322.jpg

Back