Red Taillight Film Installed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuanies

Just got the tail lights covered with red film/tint. I'm not a big fan of chrome or taillights so I had this done to my wife's car. Next up is debadging, window tint and vinyl wrap on the door handles.

P1110056 by tuanies, on Flickr

tuanies said:
Just got the tail lights covered with red film/tint. I'm not a big fan of chrome or taillights so I had this done to my wife's car. Next up is debadging, window tint and vinyl wrap on the door handles.
If those bother you, doesn't the obnoxious advertising license plate holder bother you :?:

tuanies said:
Lol it doesn't really bother me. I'll take it off eventually.
At least it is removeable :D
Not like the obnoxious hard to remove paint damaging decals that way too many dealers stick on every vehicle the minute it comes off the truck.

But the holes in the front bumper of my Altima still irritate me. Put there by the dealer to mount their advertising front plate holder, in a state that doesn't require front license plate :!: :shock:

mbender said:
Join/contribute here and you get a "free" mnl frame! Or at least you used to...
I have paid twice and I am on automated renewal and have not received or been offered MNL license plate holder.
Did you have to request it :?:

TimLee said:
tuanies said:
Not like the obnoxious hard to remove paint damaging decals that way too many dealers stick on every vehicle the minute it comes off the truck.

But the holes in the front bumper of my Altima still irritate me. Put there by the dealer to mount their advertising front plate holder, in a state that doesn't require front license plate :!: :shock:

Yea those bug the hell out of me. They'd have to pay me to put one of those on my cars.

TimLee said:
mbender said:
Join/contribute here and you get a "free" mnl frame! Or at least you used to...
I have paid twice and I am on automated renewal and have not received or been offered MNL license plate holder.
Did you have to request it :?:

Used to come with gold level, but I think they ran out. I never got one either.

I have two of them and I'll never use them. I have my solid Brass Chrome plated ones on mine:

ubuygas_5001.jpg

tuanies said:

You're not a big fan of taillights? :lol:

Anyway, looks really nice on the black car.

TimLee said:
tuanies said:

I would have never bought the car if they pre drilled the holes for the plate and if they did it after the deal was done I'd refuse delivery of the altered car

apvbguy said:
I would have never bought the car if they pre drilled the holes for the plate and if they did it after the deal was done I'd refuse delivery of the altered car
I was on severe time constraint.
Must have checked with 100 dealers within two hundred miles late on Saturday before Cash for Clunkers expired on the following Monday to find a 2009 Altima 4 cylinder SL with all the options.
Dealer in Gainesville, GA had one and agreed to hold it for me and I drove the old 1991 Ford Ranger long bed that I had bought new down Sunday afternoon to get it.
Hardly anyone had anything that qualified for Cash for Clunkers left.
The Altima was all the dealer had and must have been ten customers at the dealer looking for last minute Cash For Clunkers deals.

I actually never noticed the front advertising license plate holder till I got home.
Just amazes me that Nissan and almost all manufacturers drill holes in the bumper cover to install front license plate holder.
Really bad practice for dealer to be doing that to all their cars in a state that doesn't have front license plates.
But they did give me a loan at a much better interest rate than I had from Chattanooga credit union :?

tuanies said:

As an owner of a black 2013 Nissan LEAF SL, I've been considering this myself, but now that I see it, I think I'm going to keep the OEM look. It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look as 'different' anymore. I also would love to tint my windows, but I don't want to stop people from looking into the car (being an EV advocate, etc.).

It's kinda funny, clear taillights (at least Altezzas) used to be so much in demand, and now we have Prius & LEAF owners doing the opposite.

What are you going to use to wrap the handles? Do you plan on wrapping the chrome trim on the front bumper (something I've been considering myself)?

I'll probably just pay the same people to vinyl wrap the door handles and front chrome part, but its up to my wife since its her car.

The window tint blocks out ~50% of solar heat, so for my rear facing 18 month old, that should make her quite a bit more comfortable in the summer. She gets super sweaty back there on hot days, but is fine in my ICE car with 20% tint all around. I don't even have the AC cranked up at all in my car either. Also by blocking out the solar heat, you keep the cabin cooler and make the climate control not work as hard, theoretically conserving range.

tuanies said:
I'll probably just pay the same people to vinyl wrap the door handles and front chrome part, but its up to my wife since its her car.

The window tint blocks out ~50% of solar heat, so for my rear facing 18 month old, that should make her quite a bit more comfortable in the summer. She gets super sweaty back there on hot days, but is fine in my ICE car with 20% tint all around. I don't even have the AC cranked up at all in my car either. Also by blocking out the solar heat, you keep the cabin cooler and make the climate control not work as hard, theoretically conserving range.

I totally agree with the tinting idea, I have my other vehicle tinted, and the difference is incredible. But they have been cracking down in my area (since it's illegal in NY, at least for the front sides), so that's another reason I skipped it this time.

Did you have a tint shop install the red overlay on those tails for you or did you buy a precut kit off the net?
I've dealt with Lamin-X in the past. I was hoping they offered products for the Leaf but I don't see anything on their site unfortunately.

tuanies said:

post up pics when you wrap the door handles...I was going to Plasti Dip mine but I know it would start flaking...

SLCSlugger said:
Did you have a tint shop install the red overlay on those tails for you or did you buy a precut kit off the net?
I've dealt with Lamin-X in the past. I was hoping they offered products for the Leaf but I don't see anything on their site unfortunately.

I had a tint shop install it.

Back