EVSEUpgrade.com - How to keep it from being stolen....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using an extension cord (on a GFCI protected outlet of course) I just keep the EVSE box on the drivers floor in front of the seat, and roll up the window leaving only enough room for the 2 cords coming out (the extension cord+J1772 cord). This works in 2 ways, protects the EVSE, and cuts down on the heat buildup when parked in the sun. Someone would have to break the glass to get the EVSE, but if someone wants it bad enough to break glass, then nothing would really stop them. This wouldn't work well in the rain, but it works well the rest of the time.

Ingineer said:
5. Use a padlock in the EVSE handle and/or lock the unit with a chain through the 4 holes. Master Lock #630D is a combination lock that has no keys to lose and fits well.

pic

pic

-Phil

I've been pretty paranoid about combination locks since one failed on me in the locked position. Fortunately it was a braided steel rope laptop lock and I just happened to have a pair of dyke cutters with me, so I was able to eventually cut the cable a few strands at a time and free the laptop (I carefully cut the lock from the laptop at home later with a Dremel fitted with a cutoff wheel). Anyhow, since then I've gotten into the habit of always making sure that combination locks unlock with the expected combination before using them - I figure if it works then, the chances of it failing on me after just a few hours of use are pretty slim.

So I did need to lock my EVSE down this weekend and, sure enough, when I went to check my locks (same model as above) one of them did fail in the locked position. It would have been very troublesome had this happened with the EVSE either locked to the car or the other end of the chain I use between the two locks locked to a piece of infrastructure.

Just putting this out there as an advisory - double check your locks before using them!

Yaay! Got my one lock to open by starting at the old combo and working backwards - combination was the same for the first wheel and had shifted by 2 places on the 2nd and 3rd wheels (so by 22 numerically). I've now reset it to the known combination.

Well, where can you actually park where you can use the EVSE that isn't at your home, your friend's home or work? And is it at risk in those places? Public parking generally won't just let people plug stuff in without permission.

I agree with making it as unappealingly utilitarian looking as possible. Cover it up with tape so there are no lights and leave it face down, so it's just some black cable, not some expensive thing, and put a padlock on the handle.

Don't park in San Francisco! I've had my alarmed motorcycle disc lock stolen after I left it on my motorcycle saddle for 5 minutes. I mean, it was a LOCK that was in the locked position, but it LOOKED like it might be worth something, so someone took it.

Maybe take an old McDonald's take out bag and cut holes in it and put the brick inside that so to the casual observer, it's just a piece of trash? :p

Back