Houston810
Delivery Date: 25 Sep 2015

Re: Want to buy but had some visibility issues.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:53 pm

It is like 90% highway

1235 N Emerson Ave Greenwood IN 46143 looks like the most efficient way to get a free charge

Indiana has a 1,650 credit for buying L2s

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:58 pm

Houston810 wrote:It is like 90% highway

1235 N Emerson Ave Greenwood IN 46143 looks like the most efficient way to get a free charge

Indiana has a 1,650 credit for buying L2s
Ok. Have you noticed the reports of the above (http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/14158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) being broken for months? Click Show Comments.

What speeds are we talking about? Have you looked at the range chart at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

If you do 60 miles in one day don't charge at destination(s)/on the way and run your battery to almost empty when you reach home, if you L1 charge overnight, you will not be at 100% in the morning. L1 is too slow.

In the winter and as the battery degrades, it's going to get dicier (if you can't charge at your destination(s)/on the way) due to reduced battery capacity in winter, gradual battery degradation and the heater consuming power.

You sure you want to buy? Battery degradation and evolutionary improvements in EVs in terms of range and cost are part of the reason some folks lease instead of buy...

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

tmatthias
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2014
Leaf Number: 331854

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:24 am

Well, about 50-years ago when I first started driving, my Dad told me how to properly adjust the rear and side-view mirrors to eliminate blind spots. I've never had a vehicle with blind spots using this system...including the Leaf. Yes, you need to check the mirrors instead of looking around, but you have a 180º rear/side view from the driver's window to the passenger's window. I'm convinced that 90% of the drivers in the US have their mirrors adjusted incorrectly!

Try it to see if it works for you: Proper Mirror Adjustment
Theo
2014 SV, QC+LED, Gun Metallic

forummm
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 336370

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:10 am

I'm 6'3" and have no visibility issues or trouble fitting into my Leafs. The seat can be raised and lowered, so make sure it's lowered. It's a pretty comfy car.
150 Mile Club, 200 KM Club
2 Leaf (no ICE) Household

Moof
Leaf Number: 004023

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:31 am

Compared to my 2002 Tundra the visibility is worse for sure, hard to make up for sitting a good ~18" higher on the road. Compared to my wife's 2004 Ford Focus it is pretty much the same. Hard to have great visibility while sitting low down.

Specifically on the Leaf I don't like the positioning and girth of the columns by the sides of the windshield, it creates a big blind spot on the curves of the roads in my neighborhood, so I end up bobbing my head back and forth to make sure some dumb kid doesn't try to run into my silent path. I also have a harder time parking the Leaf between the lines in empty parking lots than our other 2 cars due to how tall the doors are. I may get more used to the car over time, I hope.
2011 Cayenne Red bought used with 30k miles, manufacture data of 5/2011
42k miles 82% SOH 11 bars 218 GIDs at full charge
Running with Michelin Premier A/S with 42 psi for 10k miles

2k1Toaster
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:54 am

Moof wrote:Compared to my 2002 Tundra the visibility is worse for sure, hard to make up for sitting a good ~18" higher on the road. Compared to my wife's 2004 Ford Focus it is pretty much the same. Hard to have great visibility while sitting low down.

Specifically on the Leaf I don't like the positioning and girth of the columns by the sides of the windshield, it creates a big blind spot on the curves of the roads in my neighborhood, so I end up bobbing my head back and forth to make sure some dumb kid doesn't try to run into my silent path. I also have a harder time parking the Leaf between the lines in empty parking lots than our other 2 cars due to how tall the doors are. I may get more used to the car over time, I hope.
The pillar size is required for safety standards. And any vehicle is different. Rent a few cars you have never driven before, and generally you have similar issues of judging the size of the vehicle. You know roughly how big it is, long and wide, but not something that you get with just living with it.

I found the 360d cameras very useful the first couple weeks so I could see how wide it was in the spaces.
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

aarond12
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 311353

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:52 pm

I had a similar concern as OP with the rearward visibility of the LEAF. Looking at the rear glass, a huge portion of it is black. However, after driving it for a while, it hasn't been a problem even once. I guess it's something you have to get used to.
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES (lease ended) • 2015 Nissan LEAF S • 2019 Kia Niro EV EX
Mods: Matte black Juke wheels, LED headlights and accessory lights, horn, CarPlay receiver

Moof
Leaf Number: 004023

Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:17 pm

2k1Toaster wrote:The pillar size is required for safety standards. And any vehicle is different. Rent a few cars you have never driven before, and generally you have similar issues of judging the size of the vehicle. You know roughly how big it is, long and wide, but not something that you get with just living with it.
Compared to our Focus the windshield is farther away from the driver, so the columns come into the field of view a little more, which is a little obnoxious. I will say that the worst visibility I ever had was in a rented Dodge Caliber, it was next to impossible to get a decent view over your right shoulder when checking for traffic for a lane change.
2011 Cayenne Red bought used with 30k miles, manufacture data of 5/2011
42k miles 82% SOH 11 bars 218 GIDs at full charge
Running with Michelin Premier A/S with 42 psi for 10k miles

minispeed
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014

Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:54 pm

As others have said it's not just a leaf thing....

Since you're coming from an f150 that you say you have driven 10 years it's at least a 2004. In the last little while pretty much all cars, not just small cars as someone else has said, have had to pass tougher safety tests.

The A, B and C pillars have all gotten thicker to pass roll over tests. Some new cars will actually put a small window in the bottom of the A pillar that helps. Most if not all cars now will come with 3 head rests on the rear seats that block the rear visibility regardless of the size of the rear window and most sedans have a higher trunk line to be more aerodynamic. Side impact tests have caused the doors to be taller and the windows smaller. The volt actually added the black trim at the bottom of the window to make the proportion of the car more normal and make the doors look lower than they actually were.

Don't write off the leaf because of those issues, since you can get the around view monitor it offers a lot more visibility in parking lots than almost any car.

I'm 6'4 and everytime I get in after my wife has had it for a few days (she gets it on my days off) I always try to move the seat back since driving her gas guzzling prius has a lot more leg room. After 1 drive I don't even notice it. I did find that I had to use a little round mirror stick on for the side mirrors and had one person on my tail so close at night that I didn't even know they were there till they moved to pass. However the same could be said about any car if the other car is small enough and drives in the wrong spot. The only 2 cars I've ever driven with no blind spots were my 93 miata (top down only) and my 78 mini. Both cars are notorious for flexing, the pillars on the mini were so thin that hard cornering could cause the rear side window latch to open up and pop out.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:16 pm

I have visibility issues at the A-pillars, but never really had much of an issue beyond that.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”