End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a clean inspection report too, $155 in nitpicky dings, but considered normal and not chargeable. Original tires squeaked by at 5/32nds.

Now we're afraid to drive the car in the next week or so until we turn it in :)

So waiving the $399 disposition fee and the $1000 loyalty is the only financial motivation to come back for another Nissan, LEAF or otherwise.

LeftieBiker said:
Initially they reminded me of the 1000 loyalty cash . Eventually they offered to waive 500 in damage and the turn in fee if I re-leased.

The final offer they bumped the loyalty cash up to 3000 along with waiving 500 damage and the turn in fee... a read good deal if I didn't have a 2010 Accord that's been mostly undriven for 2 years.

The standard return terms seem to be waiver of the return fee if you re-lease and $500 of damages. No negotiation required on that. The $3k was good, though.

So did you end up releasing the same vehicle or another vehicle with the $3,000 loyalty cash?
How did you go about getting the $3,000 loyalty cash?
I received a courtesy call the other day because my leaf lease ends in April 2015 and they offered me to continue for another year at the same payment, or $750 off the purchase price. I'm going to be way over on miles by then so I'm looking to release a new leaf or purchase but would love $3,000 loyalty cash to jump back in.
Let me know thanks!

Someone wrote here a while back that when you extend the lease, the allowed mileage gets extended proportionately. I don't have to worry about that, but can someone confirm or refute it?

I just got an offer in the mail from a local Honda dealer (I got a similar one from Ford last week. It seems they all know who is leasing and how long we have left on our leases). They are offering to pay off my (6!) remaining payments, and give me a zero down lease at the same rate. In my case I'd be genuinely amazed if that turned out to be anything other than a bait and switch. In any event, I have no desire to lease a Honda (or anything else, for that matter) instead of my Leaf.

LeftieBiker said:
Someone wrote here a while back that when you extend the lease, the allowed mileage gets extended proportionately. I don't have to worry about that, but can someone confirm or refute it?

I just got an offer in the mail from a local Honda dealer (I got a similar one from Ford last week. It seems they all know who is leasing and how long we have left on our leases). They are offering to pay off my (6!) remaining payments, and give me a zero down lease at the same rate. In my case I'd be genuinely amazed if that turned out to be anything other than a bait and switch. In event, I have no desire to lease a Honda (or anything else, for that matter) instead of my Leaf.

Yes I can confirm. I'm currently on a 24 month 15,000 mile per year lease. The one year extension at the current monthly price offer I received I asked about the mileage and they told me another 15,000 miles.

mn4az said:
A little off topic.. sorry... If you are less than 4/32 on the tires what's the penalty/charge?
I assumed it would be for a set of tires, like $500. That $500 excess use waiver for re-upping with Nissan was starting to sound pretty attractive, that was my backup plan.

Man, I'm disappointed! My lease expires Jan 31, 2015, and I've gotten absolutely no incentive to stay with Nissan. The dealer says that the only way I can terminate the lease early is to pay any amount by which the pay-off value exceeds the market value - meaning I'd probably have to pay them over $2K. The end-of-lease residual already exceeds the KBB value considerably, so I'm sure it will be more in two months. That means the purchase option is unattractive, unless they'll negotiate, which apparently NMAC refuses to do. I think they want me to suffer the loss due to the decreased MSRP, and I'm not inclined to do that. I guess the $100 ($400 return fee - $300 purchase fee) plus damages is not enough to lure me into a Nissan deal. With the Volt 2 expected in the second half of 2015, it looks like I'm back to my Prius full-time until then.

Am I wrong?

When I wanted to get out of my Apartment lease I bought this awesome Subwoofer, The Sunfire XTEQ

http://www.sunfire.com/XTEQ12.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3000 Watts, I played it all day long, every day till they broke my Lease.

They call it the Lease Breaker.

Larry said:
The end-of-lease residual already exceeds the KBB value considerably, so I'm sure it will be more in two months. That means the purchase option is unattractive, unless they'll negotiate, which apparently NMAC refuses to do.
Am I wrong?
NMAC has begun to offer reductions in buy outs.
$4,000 reduction reported on previous page.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16629&hilit=lease+end&start=70#p397479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I haven't been able to find anyone at NMAC or the dealer where I leased who knows anything about reduced price buyouts. Just for laughs I stopped by carmax, they offered me 11k, they have a similar one on their lot with fewer miles they are asking 16,500, which is about what my residual buyout price is.

OT funny story, the inspector who came to the house left the engine on his car idling for a half hour while he was there. Said it was because he had laptops in the car.

NMAC has begun to offer reductions in buy outs.
$4,000 reduction reported on previous page.
See viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16629&hilit=lease+end&start=70#p397479.

TimLee: I missed this reference. If NMAC made this sort of offer to me, I would jump right on it. Since subsequent posts reported not being able to track down such an offer, I am skeptical of its being generally available. My local dealer is very unlikely to push for such a solution.

Maybe I have to start the return process by getting an inspection to get them off dead-center.

Thanks for the reference.

^^^ ditto... curiously the finance manager who said he looked into it (I have my doubts he actually did) said something about it's up the insurance company, and so far they aren't offering any such deal.

There is a 2012 at my local dealer with a 23k asking price :lol:

the offer from NMAC is customer specific. there is no way to "get it" it has to be offered to you. you would know it they would have contacted you within 90/120 days end of your lease.
My guess is they are looking at residuals and picking certain situations where they know they will lose at auction and making an offer to the customer for a buyout at a reduced price. MY offer was 4k below the current payoff. it is still good til november 30th and I could buy the car for a more reasonable $13k . But it was not enough to make me bite.

Has anyone here payed off their lease and turned in their Leaf early? I have about 6 months left on my lease, but I'm contemplating turning mine in early and leasing another Leaf or an i3 before the end of the year. The state of GA is almost assuredly cancelling or altering the $5K tax credit early next year, so it might make sense for me to go ahead and lease another. I suppose I could also keep it until the end of the lease and just get another, but I don't need 2 cars, so I would be paying 2 insurance premiums for nothing.

AndyLL said:
I just turned in my 2012 lease.

3-4 months ago I got an offer to extend my lease at the same payment. Since my payment was $235 with taxes I was really tempted but my office may be moving and if so it might have been out of range.

The offers got better as I waited.

Initially they reminded me of the 1000 loyalty cash . Eventually they offered to waive 500 in damage and the turn in fee if I re-leased.

The final offer they bumped the loyalty cash up to 3000 along with waiving 500 damage and the turn in fee... a read good deal if I didn't have a 2010 Accord that's been mostly undriven for 2 years.

Was the loyalty cash offers ($1k and $3k) good for a new Leaf lease or just purchasing your current leased vehicle outright?

I just got the $4000 reduction in disposition value letter on my MY12 lease that is over in April (39 month.)

Called the dealership this morning and they were completely clueless (seems to be a common occurrence in Nissan dealers) -- never heard of that before. So I am going in this afternoon (worried it is a trap of some sort) because there is really no way to do it online -- just the regular payoff.

I am keeping the car anyway (we love our LEAF and the only thing I want from a newer model is 6.6 charging) so this sounds nearly too good to be true.

I'll report back with results.

listless said:
I just got the $4000 reduction in disposition value letter on my MY12 lease that is over in April (39 month.)

Called the dealership this morning and they were completely clueless (seems to be a common occurrence in Nissan dealers) -- never heard of that before. So I am going in this afternoon (worried it is a trap of some sort) because there is really no way to do it online -- just the regular payoff.

I am keeping the car anyway (we love our LEAF and the only thing I want from a newer model is 6.6 charging) so this sounds nearly too good to be true.

I'll report back with results.

Strange , I received several phone calls from NMAC with the $4,000 off offer but no letter. The dealership received a special email from NMAC with instructions on how to apply the offer.

Can you post details of the letter for us?

BTW mine is a 2012 and east coast and 39 mo lease as well, I see some common things on who gets the offer

Back