SoCal Year 5 LEAF & EV Gatherings - See Year 6

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have posted pictures from my trip, many with captions, at

http://tomnature.smugmug.com/Travel/CO-AZ20/45213653_pbBGRD

I have included some maps with routes, some representative elevation profiles, and some charging photos.

You can see larger versions of the photos by dragging along the right margin to activate a pop-up size selection. The largest size is 'original'. The photos taken with iPad are not as large as those taken with the Canon.

In most but not all cases I did better than the "Rated Miles" even going as fast as 70-72 mph on 75 posted interstates at elevations above 4 Kft.
In Durango I met both a local Tesla owner couple, and another couple from Monterrey, CA with a Model S on order. I saw a Leaf and a Volt in Durango, and more in Las Vegas.

On my last day, while passing through Primm NV, I stopped for token J1772 charge at Whisky Pete's, unaware that on the other side of I15 I was missing a new SC site under construction.

The Gathering in Santa Ana was attended by about 13 people,
and we had a great time. Our Tesla S was outside in the parking
lot, with one of our "RasPi Black Box" logging systems installed.
At the table inside we could see the TS and we were able to connect
to its Black Box logging system via WiFi, and download a logfile.
Not yet perfect, but good progress.

I've been putting a new roof on our (old) house, and even though I had help from one of Naomi's grandsons with the old roof tearoff, the new sheathing and the felt (all of which took 3 solid weeks of work, even with the help), I've been doing all the shingling by myself, in every spare moment I've had free from work (other than to sleep). So far it's taken 2.5 months, and I figure I've got maybe 2-3, 4-day weekends left before it'll finally be done.

So I won't be at the Cerritos on the 8th, but maybe I'll be good for one of the December meetings (assuming no Santa Ana meeting in November due to Thanksgiving?).

We will Gather in Santa Ana on the Saturday before Thanksgiving,
on the 22nd of November, for those who wish to be in training for
the big-burp day (the following Thursday), and to give our Thanks
earlier than most. However, like always, if a real life calls you elsewhere,
then by all means, go there, and be thankful that you have an elsewhere
to go to, and that you can still "get up and go". Cheers to All, gg

For those wanting to plan ahead, from this thread's 1st post:

------ 53rd month Gatherings ------
Gathering #53a: 10 Jan 2015 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast.
Gathering #53b: 24 Jan 2015 at the HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana.

------ 52nd month Gatherings ------
Gathering #52a: 6 Dec 2014 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast.
Gathering #52b: 20 Dec 2014 at the HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana.

------ 51st month Gatherings ------
Gathering #51a: 8 Nov 2014 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast.
Gathering #51b: 22 Nov 2014 at the HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana.

Please let me know about special events, or
if this schedule should be changed.
Merry Christmas, Gary

Nov 29, 2014 - Temecula CA (Riverside County) 9 am - Noon, Hometown Buffet, 40390 Margarita Rd Temecula, CA, behind Lowe's. :cool:

I will check the Quality Nissan DCQC Friday and report its status.

Free charging at my house, 2 x 14-50s, 1 x 6-20, 2 x J1772 32 and 48 amp. In Plugshare off of Benton Rd and Pourroy Rd. Be there by 8:30 am if you want a ride to HTB.

A very nice Gathering last Saturday, with 13 warm bodies.
I got to try some real food and even a cheese omelet.

Our next Gathering is in Cerritos on 6 Dec 2014.
Happy Thanksgiving to all, and thanks for all your
support in our difficult times.

Our dear puppy Boris, just 13 years old, went to
meet our maker last Tuesday, and I sincerely
hope that he is now healthy, running, wagging his tail,
and seeing everything in Heaven, hoping to see us again.
We miss him greatly, but we are slowly learning to cope.

It was wonderful to hear that Boomer's little Jovie
is doing very well after her open heart surgery, and
we are very thankful for that.

And, a Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas to all.
Cheers, Gary

The Quality Nissan DCQC is workiing, ChargePoint card needed, $2 for the first hour, billed by the minute.

Finished up my roofing on Friday last, just in time for this storm. Phew! No leaks reported either, so it's all good.

Anyhow, that means you can count me in for Cerritos on the 6th.

FYI...there were HTB coupons in the Redplum circular from this week's mail.

Oh, and the title of the thread could do with changing to reflect the next event's date and location.

New report today from Bloomberg on Audi Q8 EV Crossover.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-03/audi-plans-electric-crossover-to-take-on-tesla-in-u-s-.html

Looking forward to discussing this with Boomer and others this Saturday. What caught my attention was this earlier report from last Feb with a claim of 370 ideal miles, enabled by a new battery chemistry. Sounds awfully optimistic, but they are talking 2016 or later, and they are also talking high-end pricing. Model S on the same rating scale is 310 miles, which is fantasy, not real world.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mvxYrGHCuVsBZD449oyZ2jw&bvm=bv.80642063,d.cGU

I have been following latest battery research from Yi Cui group at Stanford. He has one lab on the Stanford campus working on the anode, another at SLAC working on the cathode, and he also has a startup company, Amprius. The anode is lithium protected by carbon nano structure and the cathode is lithium-sulfur.

https://www6.slac.stanford.edu/news/2014-07-17-slac-battery-lab.aspx

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2014/08/09/researchers-take-major-step-towards-longer-battery-life/

For those wishing to marvel at my roofing prowess :lol: there is a small album of before and after pictures here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3SYHt_rpvYyV1Njc052UzFhdG8&usp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry about the lighting in some of them - most of my days I finished up either when the sun was well on it's way to being gone or when it was already dark. The whole process was about 3 months in total, beginning Labor Day weekend and all but finishing up the weekend before Thanksgiving, full time for the first 3 weeks and then 8x4 day weekends for the rest of it.

mwalsh said:
For those wishing to marvel at my roofing prowess :lol: there is a small album of before and after pictures here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3SYHt_rpvYyV1Njc052UzFhdG8&usp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sooo, what did you do with your solar panels Mike?

sparky said:
Sooo, what did you do with your solar panels Mike?

This is on a different house. My wife asked if we were going to install solar there too, but we're very hard pressed for the extra money right now. Also the tenants (wife's daughter and grandchildren) are not massively heavy electricity users and the city restricts you to a measly 3.3kW maximum size (probably because the city runs it's own power company).

Title changed to the 6th of Dec, in Cerritos... but a bit tardy, sorry.

After tomorrow at the Hometown buffet in Cerritos,
we have only one more Gathering this year,
on the 20th, at the HTB on 17th street in Santa Ana.

Merry Christmas to all, Ho, Ho, Ho... see you tomorrow.
Gary and family.

Back