Disable temperature to maintain summer type regen in winter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVerlasting said:
mynameisjim said:
I can add a data point for temperature. I use a heated garage in the winter so there are days when my car is 60 degrees but the ambient is much lower and my regen is severely limited. I think the car uses outside air temperature for this calculation based on my experience. I will have 5 battery temperature bars.
I also think it is the outside (ambient) temperature sensor that limits regen when it is cold. I used to park my LEAF in an unheated garage but it was still about 20 degrees warmer inside the garage than outside. When I used to start my LEAF and back out of my garage I would have full regen (all four regen circles activated) but as soon as I started driving in the outside air, I would get the Snowflake icon warning "Outside Temperature Is Very Low" and immediately my regen would decrease.
I think that (temp warning coinciding with immediate loss of regen) is a very compelling bit of evidence supporting the "limit regen for safety" theory. So the remaining question is is there another, more subtle, temperature impact on available regen above freezing or were all the temperature related reports near or below freezing?

EVerlasting said:
mynameisjim said:
I can add a data point for temperature. I use a heated garage in the winter so there are days when my car is 60 degrees but the ambient is much lower and my regen is severely limited. I think the car uses outside air temperature for this calculation based on my experience. I will have 5 battery temperature bars.
I also think it is the outside (ambient) temperature sensor that limits regen when it is cold. I used to park my LEAF in an unheated garage but it was still about 20 degrees warmer inside the garage than outside. When I used to start my LEAF and back out of my garage I would have full regen (all four regen circles activated) but as soon as I started driving in the outside air, I would get the Snowflake icon warning "Outside Temperature Is Very Low" and immediately my regen would decrease.
Long shot here, but does turning off the traction control have an effect? (IOW, do they give you back your regen if you are not using traction control?)

So the remaining question is is there another, more subtle, temperature impact on available regen above freezing or were all the temperature related reports near or below freezing?
I noticed reduced regen as soon as the weather started getting cooler in October 2013. This was two months after i got the software update done in August. As the winter started to get colder regen reduced further. At times there was almost no regen even when there was hardly any SOC left. Then when the weather started to get warm in April, regen started to come back slowly. But is never the same as before I did the update. So the answer to your question is yes regen is still limited even at above freezing temps. It just reduces more when its below freezing. If this was a traction related thing then they would have done it in the 2013+ LEAF as well. That is not the case. 2013+ LEAFs actually have increased regen with "B" mode in SL regardless of the climate.

With my 2015 at least, I'd say it's most definitely NOT outside temp. Because I can park out in the cold parking lot all day, with 60% SOC, drive away with 2 battery temp bars and two regen bubbles. Then as I drive and regen a few times, still at 2 temp bars, I'll get 3 regen bubbles. So it is as though the battery is warming with charge/discharge, even if not enough to pop another temp bar.

kikngas said:
With my 2015 at least, I'd say it's most definitely NOT outside temp. Because I can park out in the cold parking lot all day, with 60% SOC, drive away with 2 battery temp bars and two regen bubbles. Then as I drive and regen a few times, still at 2 temp bars, I'll get 3 regen bubbles. So it is as though the battery is warming with charge/discharge, even if not enough to pop another temp bar.
I see this as well. As my battery warms regen increases, at a given SOC level. And since I have Leaf DD on my dash I have the battery temp visible constantly, no guessing.

Back