New England Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just signed up for the Greenlots network. Interesting app, you can activate the station by scanning a QR code or inputting the station ID, no RFID cards. Payment can be set up like Chargepoint, or as pay-as-you-go.

Fees can be set up as per min, so prorating should work.

The map portion of the app is fairly useless compared to PS.

Yes, GreenLots has an awful map because you can't filter by plug type, and even if you could, all of the U-GO DCQCs are set up incorrectly. They all state they are "240 AC" stations under Type, and then the description says Level 3.

As far as what the hotel can do to make the QC a success...

First, they must ensure the signage is adequate. The best option is signage that clearly states the spots in front of the QC and Level 2 stations are for Electric Vehicles ONLY While Charging, all others TOWED at owners expense. In addition, the lines should be repainted green. The "Electric Vehicle Charging Station" signs that list no parking restrictions are not adequate.

Second, they should ensure that all of the hotel's maintenance employees, even the ones that work overnight, are trained on how to reset power to the QC from the breaker. If there are filters that require regular cleaning, they must be trained on that, too. The front desk staff should be trained to call a maintenance employee if a driver comes inside to ask for help in the event of the QC malfunctioning. The worst thing a driver can encounter (after being ICEd) is a broken QC that they are relying on.

Finally, they should post a sign on or near the QC inviting customers to come inside and use the restaurant/lobby/bathrooms/whatever, but remind them to move their vehicles when charging completes to avoid being towed. Maybe they would consider offering a discount in the restaurant to those who mention they used the QC?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Two new QCs in CT, marked coming soon, both on Rt. 1, so not far off 95, around West Haven and Fairfield, see PlugShare.
Look like another new one in Darien as well (good wives plaza)

I know it's not technically New England, but a whole bunch showed up in Westchester County, NY at the same time as the ones in CT. I believe that all of these shopping centers are owned by the same company, http://www.ubproperties.com/properties.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They've had one listed on PlugShare for months in Stamford. I went to visit it a couple months ago and it was still wrapped up in black plastic, not working. I e-mailed them the other day to see what their plans are, no response so far. It seems they are installing stations made by Efacec, which I've only ever seen used by the now-defunct 350Green in the Chicago area, as well as one they had at the Stanford Shopping Center in CA that was removed and replaced by a Nissan unit. Those stations in Chicago no longer work -- I wonder if we are getting the ones that were removed from Chicago?

MA DPU has issued a final order allowing stations to set per kWh fees, but they're going to hold a technical conference on TOU rates and sub-metering and potential grid impacts.

New QC posted on Plugshare in Middlebury VT, a Signet unit with both CHAdeMO and Frankenplug.
Yeah, the CHAdeMO there was "down" (surprise, surprise) for a while. I was apparently the first and only person who called in to Green Mountain Power to let them know it was non-operational. They got Signet to update the firmware within a week after my notification, but it had been "down" a while before I came to use it. Someone had posted the station being down on plugshare, which is a good first step, but I figured it would have been fixed since then... So yeah... If any of us get to a CHAdeMO especially, and it is non-operational / showing an error, it is essential that we notify the station owners right away. They are not being proactive about making sure they are working right. It's up to us!

Norwood MA now has two QCs as Hampton Inn's 25 kW unit is now open, also $6/hr like the Comfort Inn in Revere, and also on the Greenlots Network. Just up the road from the Nissan dealer.

The first of IPP Solar's stations is now active in Stamford, CT. I haven't gotten up there to try it yet, but I will soon. I was actually in Stamford last weekend, so I just missed it. The stations is on GreenLots, cost is $0.20/kWh with a $0.20 minimum.

$10/half hour? It figures since the Chesnut Hill Mall is normally considered pricey.

I think that makes recharging the Leaf more expensive than gasoline, even at the prices from a year ago.
(my thinking: half hour gives 60 miles of range; for 60mi I'd need about 2-2.5 gallons; thus $7-$8.50 at $3.50/gallon)

I think that pricing is inaccurate. PlugShare shows that price for every eVgo station, but if you check their website, they list different pricing. When I drove down to DC this summer, the price for the station in Towson, MD was supposed to be a $4.95 session fee plus $0.20/minute. However, because the card they sent me didn't work, I had to call to start my sessions, and they let me charge for free! (I did have to pay a $4.95 fee to get my card mailed to me, so it wasn't totally free.)

I think what's more interesting about this station is that it's the first eVgo station in New England, and the first in the entire Northeast outside of the DC area. Boston wasn't even officially announced as an eVgo market, was it? It's not on their website as a state they operate in. I hope NY is next!

Even at that cost I am glad to see the station put in place. Market forces will determine what prices are acceptable - I just hope enough folks are willing to pay to keep companies placing the L3 chargers.

IF enough of these are placed and they prove to be reliable it would effectively extend the range of my Leaf which I currently consider to be about a 40 mile "distance from home" in the summer and about 25-30 in winter (so far). Occasionally paying for L3 to extend that still works out better for me even if that use costs more than gas. Of course if a lot of folks treat it that way usage will remain fairly minimal.

Then again, I'll bet there are a lot of folks who may pay for the use and never calculate the actual cost/mile thinking "well it is still cheaper than filling up my SUV" or just going with "electric is cheaper" idea never calculating the cost.

Anyway - I'm still hoping for an L3 to be put somewhere on the pike between 95 and 495. This particular location would likely get used once a week in winter allowing me to avoid driving the van (20mpg) on that trip. So from a pure cost comparison - the fuel cost of that 80mile trip is 4 gallons for gas (now $2.70?) totaling $10.80 vs electric 3.9m/kw, 21kW at $.17/kWh = $3.57, so if a stop at the L3 en-route cost less than $7.23 it would be better - of course the time spent there (likely only need about 10 minutes?) would have a value too...

All this to say, bring on the L3 stations! I'd welcome the extended range.

Back