Leaf Spy Lite

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered this unit with the hope that it would be version 1.5, but it was another 2.1. :cry:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090ZJPMK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turbo3 said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Will any version/maker of ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth work with Leaf Spy?
I have had the best results with the 'Mini'.

1v8g.jpg
I bought what looks to be the same device from ebay seller "l.g.brother":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-ELM327-V1-5-Interface-Bluetooth-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android-Torque-Scan-/171220932467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dd901773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Leaf Spy app. is showing that this device is version 2.1. It seems like it's kind of a crapshoot which version you get, even if it says V1.5. Jim, do you (or anyone else for that matter) have a verified ELM327 V1.5 that you would like to sell? Or can anyone make a recommendation on a particular device / seller that is reliably V1.5?

Thanks,
Gary

Turbo3 said:
For now I would stay away from any ELM327 listed as being v2.1. For clones this means a cost reduced version as there are only 2 circuit boards inside instead of 3. Being listed as v2.1 does not mean it supports the official v2.1 AT command set or even the v1.5 command set.
So, if I can verify with a seller that the ELM327 has 3 boards instead two, this would be indicative of a V1.5 - correct?

I have several ELM327 devices that are sold as 1.5 but are reported by the app as 2.1. So no luck to get them working
Will the Scantool BDLINK LX work? While more expensive, I can at least rely on it being genuine.

princen said:
I have several ELM327 devices that are sold as 1.5 but are reported by the app as 2.1. So no luck to get them working
Will the Scantool BDLINK LX work? While more expensive, I can at least rely on it being genuine.

This is the one I ended up going with. It is one of the devices listed on the wiki page. It was about $24.00 before shipping, and it is bulky - i.e. probably not good for leaving plugged in when driving and during ingress/egress, as it hangs down into the footwell and most likely would get kicked unless you are extremely careful.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tails_o03_s00_i00?tag=gafogi-20&ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gary

Let us know if it is v1.5 Gary. I am still withholding purchasing another as I have ordered to v2.1 and I'm hesitant to get another unless I know it is 1.5.

Thanks!

doggyollie said:
Let us know if it is v1.5 Gary. I am still withholding purchasing another as I have ordered to v2.1 and I'm hesitant to get another unless I know it is 1.5.

Thanks!
Yes, it comes up as V1.5 on the Leaf Spy screen.
Gary

Just bought this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

. . . and it works!! ;-)

Time to upgrade to the Pro version now! :-D

Scubamal said:
Can anyone tell me what the difference between the blue and red bars on the 96 battery graph?
It is described in the built-in Help. Go down to the Battery Status section then to the Middle Section description. The default Red bars are when the shunt is active for that cell therefore draining a small amount of energy to balance the cell with the others.

Are there any reports of the Galaxy 5s NOT working with this setup? I can't get either OBDII device to communicate with my Leaf. How do you know the Version of the Device? One of my devices should be V2.1 and the other is supposed to be V1.5. Neither one will talk to the Leaf Spy Lite or Pro.

electricvw said:
Are there any reports of the Galaxy 5s NOT working with this setup? I can't get either OBDII device to communicate with my Leaf. How do you know the Version of the Device? One of my devices should be V2.1 and the other is supposed to be V1.5. Neither one will talk to the Leaf Spy Lite or Pro.

Make sure the car is on, delete the Leaf blue-tooth device from the phone (have no other active blue-tooth connections). Reconnect the Leaf after the Spy Pro is working. That did the trick for me on a S3.

electricvw said:
Did you first pair your Bluetooth OBDII devices with the 5S before starting Leaf Spy Lite?

The version number of the OBDII device would show up just below the app version number bottom center if you are able to communicate with the OBDII device.

If you can't first communicate with the OBDII device (and see a the OBDII version number) you won't be able to communicate with the Leaf (which must be ON).

The default Bluetooth port number should work on the 5S but if you are still having trouble try cycling through Port 1, 16 and secure restarting app after each change.

I was able to pair them. Did not see version number on the second device. I'll try again. I'll post my results.

I was able to connect each OBDII device and start up in both programs. Both programs show that each device is for a fact loaded with version 2.1 and not 1.5 like I was supposed to get. Maybe the third time is a charm. I have yet to receive a second response from the buyer that sold me a device that was supposed to have version 1.5 installed but was actually version 2.1. Its not much but its the principal of the matter.

I will try once again to get an OBDII with version 1.5.

Pete :)

I found this information and it is a bit confusing. The OBDII of mine should be like this. If connected to a PC then it uses v 2.1 if to a phone it connects with v 1.5. But both connect via 2.1 on the phone.

Use on the PC software version is V2.1,use via phone software version is V1.5,also hardware is v1.5

Hi,

I have a question regarding Leaf Spy (Pro) and the option to log data. Does the OBD-Conntector have to be plugged in during the drive or is it fine to plug it after the drive?
If it is enough to plug it after the drive, where is the data logging during the drive ?

I hope you understand my questions and sorry for my english.

Greetings from germany

shalvak said:
Hi,

I have a question regarding Leaf Spy (Pro) and the option to log data. Does the OBD-Conntector have to be plugged in during the drive or is it fine to plug it after the drive?
Has to be connected during the drive.

TimLee said:
shalvak said:
Hi,

Has to be connected during the drive.

Thank you for your answer. Isn't it illicit to use an OBD-Connector during the drive without an ECE-marking? As far as i know you haven't the full insurance in case of an accident. I don't want to charge you, but is has to be 100 % "bulletproof" in my project, in order to realize it. Is there any work-around?

Back