Leaf 2 is going to be very nice looking : Nakamura

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My problem with Nissan is that they lied, obfuscated and hid for years what we all knew to be true. And then, most recently, they pull this crap with the battery warranty disallowal to throw sand in some people's faces. If they had been more forthright, I'd hold them in much better regard now... They have done little as a company to win my trust... I may change my opinion in the future but you know the old adage about "Fool me once..."

DaveinOlyWA said:
Nissan tried that. it did not work so they backtracked and that undoubtedly created more tough decisions.

My opinion - They should keep the Leaf styling as is. The next gen should be an evolutionary change of that style (like going from Prius 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen) They should instead build another EV or PHEV that has more of a mainstream look.

Let's face it.. We hear it all the time from people and on the internet: "Why do hybrids (or EVs) have to look so ugly. Why can't they just make them look like a normal car?" Then I explain something along the lines of "They DO make hybrids (or EVs) that look like regular cars. But I bet you've never noticed them going down the road because, well, they look just like normal cars." However, which strategy works best? What hybrid sells the most? The Prius. What EV sells the most, The Leaf.

I've been really worried that Nissan is going to ruin the Leaf. As the Leaf is now, its a very nice car that in my book is hard to improve. I'm worried that if they start "Improving" the Leaf, then they'll botch it up pretty bad. Look at how Honda did their Insight. They had a very high quality, ultra fuel efficient, handsome, and very superior car when they launched the 1st gen Insight in 2000. Then, in 2009 they decided to reboot the Insight and it was complete rubbish (no identity, lousy MPG, inferior Honda IMA, no real EV Mode, no wheel skirts, smaller battery, and etc). I just hope Nissan doesn't do this with their Leaf. Nissan really hit a home run with the Leaf and it makes me proud to own own. I love my Leaf and really don't want to see too many changes.

Things I love about the current Leaf:

-Entirely LCD Instrument Cluster & Speedometer
-Eyebrow LCD Speedometer (like that of Toyota & Honda)
-Boot-up sounds
-No stupid ICE grille
-Sleek, futuristic, and dignified exterior
-LED headlamps
-LED tail-lamps (love those tail-lamps)
-No ridiculous instrument cluster dash (just a clean, flat, and computer screen-like dash)
-Instrument Cluster that easy to read and efficient layout.
-Drive Mode Selector that is small, unobtrusive, and not a stupid/archaic metal stick jutting out between the front two seats.
-Impressive EV power-train
-respectable exterior stature (unlike many modern ICE cars out)
-Impressive torque off the line
-No belts, pulleys, or chains to worry about
-No transmission

Things I don't care for with the current Leaf:

Limited EV range (of course, 150-200+ preferred)
No Battery Thermal Management (to maintain optimal battery temperature)
Overheating after multiple DC Rapid Chargers
Bulging headlamps
Cheap interior fabrics and materials
24Kwh (21 kWh usable) battery pack

Overall, I'd very much like to see very little changed. In the least I'd pretty much only add more range.
I've got a 3 year lease with my current Leaf due to expire in May of 2017 and I'm really worried that Nissan will mess up the Leaf. If Nissan botches up the Leaf I'll have to keep my Leaf of go back to a gasoline at my leases end. I really don't want to go back to gas at any cost. I'll never drive on gas again. I can't afford a Tesla Model S, and I won't be able to afford a Model 3 (at $35,000+ when it comes out).

I wish Nissan would give us more info. They've thrown 3 different concepts out there and haven't been clear which one they'll go with. At first I was sure they'd go with the Invitation Concept, and then the Lannia Concept. After that it was possible it could be the Renault Eolab Concept. They've even said they're going to use their stupid new "V-shaped" grille. Why does an EV really need a grille? It doesn't need that much air intake, geez. The Tesla Model 3 doesn't even have a stupid grille. A grille screams ICE car, and imitates a bygone petroleum-based era. Also, why do they want to slaughter the Drag Coefficient of the Leaf with a stupid and ridiculous plunging V-shaped grille? It doesn't need it. It looks stupid on the new Murano and it'll look stupid on the new Leaf (if they go with it). I kind of like the blacked out pillars though.

I don't know anymore. Its crazy (it seems like the Invitation Concept would be best to me). I'd be very happy if they base it off the Invitation Concept since that looks halfway respectable.

I don't know what I'm gonna do. I had it all planned out and then they decided to get wild with the Leaf and now I'm not so certain of the Leaf anymore. I had my plan to just keep re-leasing the Leaf for many years, until the Leaf got so good (with a 200+ Mile range) and then I would buy out that lease. Now... :?

electriccarfan said:
Things I love about the current Leaf:

-LED headlamps
I don't have those, but I think I might like it if they offered a xenon option as well.
electriccarfan said:
Things I don't care for with the current Leaf:

Limited EV range (of course, 150-200+ preferred)
No Battery Thermal Management (to maintain optimal battery temperature)
Overheating after multiple DC Rapid Chargers
I'm wondering of all three of these would be helped by a larger pack with thermal management, to give it more time to cool between DC charges.
electriccarfan said:
Bulging headlamps
Cheap interior fabrics and materials
24Kwh (21 kWh usable) battery pack

Overall, I'd very much like to see very little changed. In the least I'd pretty much only add more range.

I generally agree. I'd like more range, and I would hope that better aerodynamics would make the car even quieter, which would be another plus.

electriccarfan said:
-Sleek, futuristic, and dignified exterior
I think few people like Leaf's exterior - esp. men in US. So, a change is called for. Just make the "looks" a non-issue. With doubled range, decent thermal characteristics, this would really help sell the car. Anything that helps sell it more would be welcome.

I'm sure the gen 1 Leaf will live on as an iconic shape - unfortunately modern economics will prohibit Leafs with 2 hatch body styles.

I know the Leaf needs to take on a more "Mainstream" look, but I'm just worried they'll go too far. I worry they'll do things like: give it a stupid & archaic analog instrument cluster (with the wagging needles and lack of info), give it a "Gear Shift" or as I call it a "Drive Mode Selector" that's big, bulky, and sticks right up in your way directly between the front two seats. Also, things like giving it those old fashioned Halogen head and tail lamps. I hope Nissan won't mess the Leaf up, but I know "Mainstream" really means these things. I want "Advanced", "High-Tech", and "Efficient". The current Leaf achieves all of these (in my opinion). The Tesla Model S utilities all of these and I can only hope to own one someday. But, I don't see myself ever affording a Tesla with prices above $33,000.

I don't see the exterior of the Leaf as anything to be embarrassed about. Its lines are clean, its aerodynamically styled, slightly futuristic, and respectable. It doesn't shout about itself and doesn't look like every other car. The current Leaf has a decently high quality feel to it with a vast array of accessories that come on the lowest trim level "S" (which I've got with the Quick Charge package). Even the radio my Leaf has is very nice with its easy to control "Nobs", not buttons. The "Nobs" allow for less effort when changing channels, adjusting volume, or changing settings. My Leaf is just a very close to perfect car for me. If it had 200+ miles range I'd just buy out my lease and be done. I will not settle for a next gen Leaf with anything less than what I've got with my current Leaf. They better not get rid of those LED lamps, LCD dash, CHAdeMO standard, and etc (or I think I'll be keeping my Leaf). It bothers me everyday, the uncertainty of not knowing (I'm not kidding, it does). I think about it and cycle through all the info I've got, throughout the day, everyday. I wish they'd just give use more info already! What Concept are they using? If only I could ask Ghosn, then I'd be ok (if I knew at least that).

Back