OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heads up to the community, another member here let me know the fed passed the extention for the 30% tax credit up to $1000 for EVSE'S and installation. Bought in 2014. I will provide a invoice through my business to anyone who purchases a evse from me. I build them exclusively with Chris's surface mount component OpenEVSE boards. They are amazing, small and reliable. I sell in the private for sale section.
I really wish there was more notice for this rebate.

OpenEVSE Tools

Testing a charging station is a common topic on the OpenEVSE forum. OpenEVSE firmware/hardware performs an extensive self test function built in, the average builder does not need any specialized equipment. For those who wish to extend the hardware or firmware more extensive testing may be prudent. Over the years, I have collected many tools to help test various aspects of a Electric Vehicle Charging Station. Recently I have searched for (and found) a better tool, but more on that topic later.

My current tool bag consists of:

A Digital Multi-meter (with Frequency Measurement) - $100
DSO Quad scope (Frequency and duty cycle) - $200
No Contact Current measurement meter - $75
Fluke IR Thermometer - $90
Fluke No Contact AC detect - $30

IMG_20141223_185243_465c0f1c-92ee-4e2f-a290-52b8905044bd_large.jpg

In total about $500 in tools to test a Charging station. This is just too much for the average builder so I started a search for tools to offer on the OpenEV store. I ordered a lot of different units and finally found something great...

IMG_20141223_185516_large.jpg

I have put together an exclusive package for the OpenEV Store that does everything my previous suite of tools did at less than half the cost. The center of the OpenEV package is the Extech (A FLIR Company) Multi-meter. Also included is a set of standard probes, current measurement probe and a case. The meter has a built in IR thermometer and can read both Frequency and duty cycle.

So in summary you can measure,

-Pilot Signal Frequency
-Pilot Signal Duty Cycle
-Temperature IR
-Temprature Type K probe
-AC non-contact Current (up to 200A)
-Current inline (up to 20A)
-AC Voltage
-DC Voltage
-Resistance

I have a two year old Aerovironment EVSE-RS where the Control Board has gone bad.

A new control board costs more than the whole EVSE, so I am thinking, the OpenEVSE Plus v3 Control Board could provide a good fix as it looks like it is all set to control the 240V coil on my existing contactor.

My broken Aerovironment unit has all the input and output wiring, current sense coils, 240 VAC coil on a 50 Amp contactor which is the same one sold with the 50A Open EVSE kits all installed in a weatherproof poly enclosure.

So, can someone confirm for me that all I need is the control board and a display? I have reviewed the Build Wiring Diagram and it looks much the same as what is in the Aerovironment unit. I thought I could go with the RGB LED display to shine through one of the existing Aerovironment light pipes, and then maybe rig up the existing Areovironment Start button which I believe would connect through the RGB LED display. I am reluctant go go with the LCD displays as I would have to figure out how to cut a window in my Aerovirnment enclosuer.

Does the Open EVSE control board automatically start charging when the EV is connected, or is it necessary to push the Start button?

Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry that sounds like a great project for an OpenEVSE v3 and a LED module. I can't tell what the GFCI coil is in the AV but if its a CR8420-1000-G then you can use that too... Total cost should be right around $100...

I would put the LED on the top light pipe and then use paint or nail polish to color the others with the OpenEVSE color code.

Yellow Connected
Blue Charging
Red Error

No need for a button OpenEVSE auto starts.

mwalsh said:
NoMoShocks said:
I have a two year old Aerovironment EVSE-RS where the Control Board has gone bad.

The EVSE-RS has a 3 year factory warranty, in-home for AV installs and mail-in for self installs. Have you tried contacting them about getting it repaired?

Well, there is a story behind that. I bought the EVSE-RS from an EBAY seller who stated that he had bought an extra one for work but never installed it. I thought $750 was a good deal as they were $900 at the time. When it broke, I contacted Aerovironment, and they said the warrantee was only good from original purchase date for purchase direct from them. I made the argument that the Nissan branded unit came with a manual that specifically stated warranty was from date of original installation. Then they responded that my S/N had been stolen from them and they had already written it off. I'm assuming there is no warrantee protection from stolen property, but I just realized, maybe I should check with EBay and PayPal regarding their protections.

chris1howell said:
Hi Larry that sounds like a great project for an OpenEVSE v3 and a LED module. I can't tell what the GFCI coil is in the AV but if its a CR8420-1000-G then you can use that too... Total cost should be right around $100...

I would put the LED on the top light pipe and then use paint or nail polish to color the others with the OpenEVSE color code.

Yellow Connected
Blue Charging
Red Error

No need for a button OpenEVSE auto starts.

OK, it is DONE! The Aerovironment is reborn as Open EVSE. Chris, I took your suggestion by color coding the unused Light Pipes to indicate the various conditions but I put the active LED in the 4th position where the label is Charging. So pleased with the results.

Hello Chris and all,
I just wanted to post a bit about how nice my Open EVSE has been. Very reliable charging everyday. Nice, very nice & thanks.

Don

P.S. My project build is back on page 120 of this thread if you are curious.

Well, there is a story behind that. I bought the EVSE-RS from an EBAY seller who stated that he had bought an extra one for work but never installed it. I thought $750 was a good deal as they were $900 at the time. When it broke, I contacted Aerovironment, and they said the warrantee was only good from original purchase date for purchase direct from them. I made the argument that the Nissan branded unit came with a manual that specifically stated warranty was from date of original installation. Then they responded that my S/N had been stolen from them and they had already written it off. I'm assuming there is no warrantee protection from stolen property, but I just realized, maybe I should check with EBay and PayPal regarding their protections.[/quote]

It is really valuable to contact ebay and Paypal. In the very least, it will get this seller blacklisted so others won't get screwed by them.

It may or may not get your money back. I'll bet that ebay and Paypal have terms in their contracts that say that you don't get any protection if you file your claim too much later than the sale date.

Bob

Energy.jpg

There has been a ton or action the last few weeks with OpenEVSE development.

The photo above is information from several sources sent to the Open Energy Project server emoncms.org.

I currently have implemented:
AC voltage (Open Energy node)
Current (OpenEVSE)
Temperature (OpenEnergy Node)
Future
SOC (Tesla REST API, Leaf Carwings)

I have made my dashboard Public. The dashboard can be viewed here:
http://emoncms.org/chris1howell/

Bob said:
Well, there is a story behind that. I bought the EVSE-RS from an EBAY seller who stated that he had bought an extra one for work but never installed it. I thought $750 was a good deal as they were $900 at the time. When it broke, I contacted Aerovironment, and they said the warrantee was only good from original purchase date for purchase direct from them. I made the argument that the Nissan branded unit came with a manual that specifically stated warranty was from date of original installation. Then they responded that my S/N had been stolen from them and they had already written it off. I'm assuming there is no warrantee protection from stolen property, but I just realized, maybe I should check with EBay and PayPal regarding their protections.

It is really valuable to contact ebay and Paypal. In the very least, it will get this seller blacklisted so others won't get screwed by them.

It may or may not get your money back. I'll bet that ebay and Paypal have terms in their contracts that say that you don't get any protection if you file your claim too much later than the sale date.

Bob[/quote]
I believe PayPal's current period for disputes for any payment you make using them is 6 months. Sorry to here of your trouble.

chris1howell said:
Energy.jpg

There has been a ton or action the last few weeks with OpenEVSE development.

The photo above is information from several sources sent to the Open Energy Project server emoncms.org.

I currently have implemented:
AC voltage (Open Energy node)
Current (OpenEVSE)
Temperature (OpenEnergy Node)
Future
SOC (Tesla REST API, Leaf Carwings)

I have made my dashboard Public. The dashboard can be viewed here:
http://emoncms.org/chris1howell/
That's very cool looking!

I wrote a little code in python to read the live current from OpenEVSE Via RAPI then upload the data to the Open Energy Monitor website http://emoncms.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Here is my live dashboard with input from OpenEVSE and Open Energy Monitor:

http://emoncms.org/chris1howell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The code runs great on a OpenWRT router, Raspberry pi or any other device that supports Python

Basic steps...

Setup account at emoncms.org

copy write API key

edit python code to insert your read/write API key

setup OpenWRT router on network
connect router to OpenEVSE with a serial TTL cable

setup python
opkg update
opkg install python
opkg install pyserial

upload python file to router via ftp or http
ensure OpenEVSE has firmware with RAPI enabled
run python file

set up a dashboard on emoncms.org

Every 10 seconds the current will be read and sent. This is the expected output:

Send RAPI>>$GG*B2
OpenEVSE>>$OK 16
POST OpenEVSE current to emoncms.org
Recieved HTTP Response

Here is the source code. Note the API Key below has been modified, please do not forget to insert your key.

Code:
#OpenEVSE RAPI current in Python

import time, httplib, urllib, serial

done = False

amp_ct = 0

# Setup for Serial Port

comm = serial.Serial()

comm.port='/dev/ttyUSB0'

comm.baudrate=115200

comm.open()

# Setup for Open Energy Monitor Emoncms.org

host = 'www.emoncms.org'

url_post = '/input/post.json?'

apikey = '&apikey=07abcd292c15e5222e4a4075b95e12345'

values = urllib.urlencode({'value' : '1234',}) headers = {

'User-Agent': 'python',

'Content-Type': 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded',

'Accept': 'text/plain',

}

conn = httplib.HTTPConnection(host)

while not done:

#read current from OpenEVSE and Post

comm.write("$GG*B2\r")

print (" ")

print ("Send RAPI>>$GG*B2")

time.sleep(1)

out = ''

while comm.inWaiting() > 0:

out += comm.read(1)

if out != '':

print "OpenEVSE>>" + out

if out != "$NK":

amp_ct = out.replace("$OK ", "")

input_amp = 'json={OpenEVSE:' + amp_ct + '}'

url_amp_ct = url_post + input_amp + apikey

conn.request("POST", url_amp_ct, values, headers)

response = conn.getresponse()

print "POST OpenEVSE current to emoncms.org"

if response != '':

print "Recieved HTTP Response"

else:

print "Serial Error: No response"

if out == "$NK":

print "OpenEVSE>> Error"

time.sleep(9)

The OpenEVSE Team is thrilled to anounce a major firmware release.

https://github.com/lincomatic/open_evse/releases" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

• UL compliant safety checks, minor behavior changes to comply with UL lab results
• Temperature monitoring - Ambirnt and IR - stays quiet in the background but protects you automatically if all hell breaks loose - plus new RAPI command to poll the sensors. Anyone with the RGB LCD w/RTC from the OpenEVSE store will be able to benefit from this feature by only flashing new firmware. Adding MCP9808 and/or TMP007 IR breakout boards to I2C is simple and works automatically.
• Temprature throtteling - Charging current dynamicly reduced in several stages as ambient or spot IR tempratures reach critical levels.
• kWh metering on by default now if you have the current measurement CT on a v2.5 or v3 or OpenEVSE II
• Clock and Delaytimer menus are back where you can find them with the button, always available via RAPI
• Simpler compiling - no copying of files to libraries directory
• Improved Ground Monotoring - new firmware supports rectifier diodes 1N4004 on AC_test lines to support GMI in all use conditions
• New RAPI commands for temprature and setting or clearing the accumulated kWh. Use that in case the eeprom is cleared to 0 and you want your old accumulated kWh back again
• RAPI checksum options: arithmetic sum, XOR, and no checksum for interactive use.

I just bought a 2013 Leaf and I'd really would love to build my own OpenEVSE. I have a question. Before disturbing you with this post I searched online and on this forum but I did not find the answer, or I did not understood it :)

Is there any benefit (or restriction) buing the "OpenEVSE - Level 2 Deluxe Charge Station Combo (50A max)" instead off the "OpenEVSE 30A Deluxe Charge Station Combo"? (choosing the "no solder" option, the 50A is even cheaper...)

Also: I'm very interested in having wifi capacity since I'd like to have a full online energy monitoring of my house. My understanding is that wifi option would be soon on sale. DO you think I can start building my openEVSE now and add the wifi when it will be available?

Thanks a lot to everyone. This will be my first open-project. :)

RedEnergy said:
... Is there any benefit (or restriction) buing the "OpenEVSE - Level 2 Deluxe Charge Station Combo (50A max)" instead off the "OpenEVSE 30A Deluxe Charge Station Combo"? (choosing the "no solder" option, the 50A is even cheaper...) ...
I believe the 50a kit can't be used with a 120v (L1) input. So if you wanted an EVSE that could be plugged into 240v or 120v, you'd need the 30a kit. If that's not the case, you might as well get the 50a kit. It can be set to run a lower amperages so if you end up buying a 30a J1772 cable, for instance, no problem.

Thanks for the very quick and clear answer!

Just a very (VERY) stupid question:
is the current set by the charger installed in the car or by the openEVSE? In the second case: do I need to set the EVSE to run to a lower current?

Back