Ability to stop charging on 2014 to avoid 100%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
achewt said:
Well I set the "End Time" only last night and as others noted in the thread, I didn't get what I expected, I've had better luck guessing at the charging start time. I think that this only further proves my point. It is ridiculous to have to play a guessing game in order to regain functionality that was included in the first model of the Leaf.

Nissan: please consider implementing one of the solutions I suggested in my original post.

Bonus points for implementing an option where you input the Start Time and the desired % at which you wish charging to end (in this fashion my car would start charging at 3am, long after I've finished driving, and will stop at 70 or 90% or whatever % I set by the time I want to drive the car at 5:50am - 6:20am. [This assumes of course that I've left adequate time between the Start time and % I desire to be charged.]).

I've actually gotten to the point where I just go plug it in the moment I wake up and then take my shower, eat breakfast, etc... when I'm ready to leave, I've gotten the extra % I need. The tough part is when my wife drives it to work (free chargers at Apple) and I tell her to not charge to 100% and let it sit. The charge timer is cumbersome on the S model, so I tell her to disable the timer, look at her % charge, figure 35% per hour on the L2 and set a timer on her phone to go out and unplug. She always forgets though and the car sits at 100%. I normally wouldn't care so much, but we bought, not leased, so its our battery in the end.

Maybe you should find out where the charge is usually when she arrives, set a timer yourself, and call her. You can always er, charge her for the service. ;-)

LeftieBiker said:
Maybe you should find out where the charge is usually when she arrives, set a timer yourself, and call her. You can always er, charge her for the service. ;-)

With and S model without carwings, I can't set one remotely for her. What I've been doing is guestimating a stop time in the morning. For example, I set it to stop at 10:30 this morning knowing that she will get there just before 9:00 with approx. 30% charge. Usually I'm accurate enough for it to land between 80-90% when its done.

Part of me wishes I got the SV, but they wrap the QC into yet another package with the SV so you wind up spending another $2K more for really only two features that I cared about (heater and more charge functionality). I'd rather save the $2K for a replacement battery in 4-5 years.

I have contacted Nissan on three different occasions inquiring about the possible damage to the battery on overcharging(past 80%). Each time, the rep stated that with the new Lizard batteries, there is absolutely no harm to the battery with frequent 100% top off. It is reassuring to hear that consistently, but only time will tell if this is true.

As we live on a mountain range, I've long wanted Nissan to implement an adjustable charge "slider". 80% has always been too high for decent regen if descending the 4900' (1500m) to the base of our mountain.

With our degraded 2011 battery and our average mountain temperatures, the SOC would need to be pretty low to get good regen. This is a major reason that our LEAF is now used only rarely for trips off the mountain (charging is required to come back up if the SOC was low going down, riding the brakes at high SOC is problematic, and the nearest quick charger stops with less charge than needed). Thankfully, it's still a great car for driving between our mountain communities (ranging from Crestline, CA to Big Bear, CA).

I too would like to be able to set a charging limit. Preferably in 5% increments. I live at the top of a hill and can easily regenerate 2% SOC but only if the battery isn't fully charged. Between 80% and 90% I can regen a full 30 kW in B-mode and never have to brake during the descent and never exceed the speed limit. It's a real joy to recover all of that potential energy! Above 90% I regen 10 kW and if fully charged I'm riding the brakes. And I'd really like to save the wear and tear on them. I spent a lot of money replacing pads and rotors on my ICE vehicles.

The charging timers are too cumbersome. I've forgotten to turn them off and failed to charge. Unless I drive exactly the same number of kilometers each day the timer can under or over charge unless I keep resetting the timer duration.

My 2015 european Leaf, has the Long-Distance mode. In the carwings menu, i can put it on 80% charge max. Is this what you need???

MDeAbreu said:
I too would like to be able to set a charging limit. Preferably in 5% increments. I live at the top of a hill and can easily regenerate 2% SOC but only if the battery isn't fully charged. Between 80% and 90% I can regen a full 30 kW in B-mode and never have to brake during the descent and never exceed the speed limit. It's a real joy to recover all of that potential energy! Above 90% I regen 10 kW and if fully charged I'm riding the brakes. And I'd really like to save the wear and tear on them. I spent a lot of money replacing pads and rotors on my ICE vehicles. <snip>
Do you not shift into a lower gear and use compression braking coming down the hill? That's what they're there for.

Kevinvdb said:
My 2015 european Leaf, has the Long-Distance mode. In the carwings menu, i can put it on 80% charge max. Is this what you need???
Yes. In the US, the rated range of the car was lowered to reflect a 90% charge (average of 100% and 80%) because the car had 80% mode...so Nissan removed it. Tesla has been able to get away with a slider without a problem, but Nissan chooses to just take away the capability altogether.

Of course, their comments are all suspect since they removed the 80% timer long before the Lizard battery came out simply to game the EPA...

smnewport said:
I have contacted Nissan on three different occasions inquiring about the possible damage to the battery on overcharging(past 80%). Each time, the rep stated that with the new Lizard batteries, there is absolutely no harm to the battery with frequent 100% top off. It is reassuring to hear that consistently, but only time will tell if this is true.

I think I have the solution to your problem. I just started doing this a couple of days ago and it works great.

When setting up your charge timer, turn it on, set it to 80%, enable it for all days in the week and set the start/end-time to 00:00 and 00:00.

What this means in practice is that the "timer" is on at all times :lol: and whenever you want to charge it to a 100%, you just turn the timer off.
Also, to confirm that the timer actually starts charging the car immediately, listen for a second beep after putting the charge cable in. So - put the cable in *beep beep*, 2 seconds later, *beep beep* - and it's charging. You can also look at the dash lights.

I have a 2015 european Leaf so my menu system might look different from yours (although probably not).

^^^
Yes, I know about the above via http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=336053#p336053. People discovered that long ago.

Only problem is that AFAIK, on '14+ US Leafs, charging to 80% was removed completely, including the timer screens.

I have a 2014 and while you can set the beginning and end time, you cannot set it to stop at 80%. I'm sure this would be an easy firmware fix on Nissan's part, given that the 2013's had it, and apparently the 2015 euro spec do as well. Not holding my breath though :(

achewt said:
I have a 2014 and while you can set the beginning and end time, you cannot set it to stop at 80%. I'm sure this would be an easy firmware fix on Nissan's part, given that the 2013's had it, and apparently the 2015 euro spec do as well. Not holding my breath though :(

AFAIK, the "fix" Nissan implemented was to remove the option. That way, they can claim 84 miles on the window sticker instead of 75.

IMHO, the right thing to do here is to fix the EPA rules so that the sticker lists the car's range on the full/max charge. Anyone in their right mind should be able to figure out that a lower charge setting will give them a lower range. But now we're talking a rule change and all the red tape that goes along with it.

It would be great if Nissan added a feature to stop charging at whatever exact % you want. One day you may only want 50% but the next you want 80% or 90%. Then turn the feature off and it goes to 100%.

Dreaming...

LeafMuranoDriver said:
It would be great if Nissan added a feature to stop charging at whatever exact % you want. One day you may only want 50% but the next you want 80% or 90%. Then turn the feature off and it goes to 100%.

Dreaming...
It was a feature request from the audience of the Phoenix meeting in Jan 2013 at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=9694. It was at some point during the Q&A.

LeafMuranoDriver said:

Dreaming...
It was a feature request from the audience of the Phoenix meeting in Jan 2013 at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=9694. It was at some point during the Q&A.

I believe the Model S has had such a control/slider for ages yet they didn't get bit by the 80%/100% "rule", AFAIK.

Yes, I would LOVE this feature, as well.

I think this whole thread is ridiculous... Why are we buying a product and (for fear of using it up too soon) trying to "protect the battery" . Basically, what we are saying that it is ok for Nissan to report charging ranges, that if the consumer follows them, will damage the car. Why should we be doing Nissan's job to protect the battery, and then accepting only a functional range of what amounts to 60 miles. Nissan should have set the maximum charge of 80% (and CALL THAT 100%), and reported the true range of 60%... Either that or we should just charge to 100% and F#$%^ Nissan, and get a new battery if it fails due to this!!! I am sorry but it gets me angry to see so many Leaf drivers try to work around this problem....

Yeah it is all pretty silly when you step back and view it from that perspective. Having said that, I've continued to charge to 100% every morning (timer set to finish right as I leave) and my capacity has only dropped 5% over 18 months and 62,000 km. Whatever they did for the 2014s (2013s?) obviously has helped over the 2011/2012s so it isn't as much of an issue with respect to degradation.

However, I still wish I had the feature for my originally posted reason (often charging in a mountain town then descending 2,000ft+). It would also be convenient for weekends when I don't want to charge the car full and leave it sitting there for days.

Back