Are LEAF concerns evidence of anxiety?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
GetOffYourGas said:
LeftieBiker said:
... the Prius PHEV. That gets higher MPG than the regular Prius when not charged

Is that true? I thought the PiP (Plug-In Prius) got slightly lower MPG than the regular Prius if you never charged it.

The larger pack and faster-charging-from-regen lithium chemistry let it run in electric mode more than the regular Prius. People tend to average about 50 MPG with the non-PIP and 55-60 with the PIP with no charge.

My regular Prius faced several situations where it could have stored more battery power had it the capacity to do so. the weight penalty for such a small pack is not significant

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Is that true? I thought the PiP (Plug-In Prius) got slightly lower MPG than the regular Prius if you never charged it.

The larger pack and faster-charging-from-regen lithium chemistry let it run in electric mode more than the regular Prius. People tend to average about 50 MPG with the non-PIP and 55-60 with the PIP with no charge.

My regular Prius faced several situations where it could have stored more battery power had it the capacity to do so. the weight penalty for such a small pack is not significant

This reasoning makes sense, thanks for spelling it out for me. In fact, my Insight frequently runs into a situation where the battery is full, but I'm still descending a mountain. This happens in the relatively small mountains of upstate NY. Out west, this must be infuriating!

bigrob90 said:
Cars are tools. Tools to go to work, tools to go to play, for most people. They don't buy them to remind them to be efficient. That's a very luxurious attitude which the majority of the population cannot afford.

Interesting take. I view it as the opposite. Taking efficiency into account isn't a luxurious approach. It's more of a frugal approach.

A luxurious approach would be to just throw more energy at the problem and use 33kWh worth of gasoline to go 20 miles, etc... Or another way to look at it would be "let's just mortgage our granchildrens' future as a convenience".

Nubo said:
bigrob90 said:
Cars are tools. Tools to go to work, tools to go to play, for most people. They don't buy them to remind them to be efficient. That's a very luxurious attitude which the majority of the population cannot afford.

Interesting take. I view it as the opposite. Taking efficiency into account isn't a luxurious approach. It's more of a frugal approach.

A luxurious approach would be to just throw more energy at the problem and use 33kWh worth of gasoline to go 20 miles, etc... Or another way to look at it would be "let's just mortgage our granchildrens' future as a convenience".
I said they don't buy them to *remind* them to be efficient. People want cars which save them money, but most people do not buy cars to be reminded of it. The car should save them money without the user having to think about it in order to get the benefit. Easier=better. EVs will have to provide substantial personal benefits to buyers in order to compensate for requiring more planning and thought in order to use every day.

Back