SoCal Year 5 LEAF & EV Gatherings - See Year 6

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing real important at the EVAOSC meeting this past Saturday at AQMD offices in Diamond Bar, but I did meet a nice couple who have owned their LEAF for just a few months, and they seemed both committed to the EV concept and quite well informed, despite little information from their dealer. I invited them to join us at any future SoCal EV breakfast.

The Chargepoint dual J1772 station at Harvey Mudd College went live this week. I posted details on Plugshare. One professor, who has a Volt, will be able to avoid gasoline by charging at both home and work.

My impression is that many more of the newer generation of EV owners have very limited expectations for their LEAFs or other vehicle, and many have little or no interest in using public charging to extend their range. At Harvey Mudd I met another professor with a new LEAF who lived too close to the campus to use the charge station unless it was free. He is content charging on 120V at his house. His car has a CHAdeMO port, but he was barely aware of it and he did not accept my offer to show him where all the new Quickcharge stations are on Plugshare.

This week I also saw the couple who bought my LEAF last June. They have put over 12K miles on the car, now at 40K miles, and they both drive it, which is great. However they never use public charge, either J1772 or QC, and it was clear to me that their attitude would not change even if the number of stations doubled. The car lost its second capacity bar in December.

A friend of mine near Corona is looking for a used Prius or similar car with good mileage. Her budget is limited, so she would consider a 5 yr old car with 50 or 60K miles. She has also considered a Honda Fit. If you have any suggestions, please PM me.

tbleakne said:
The Chargepoint dual J1772 station at Harvey Mudd College went live this week. I posted details on Plugshare.
Thanks for sharing - that's great news! This could be helpful for those desiring to attend some of the excellent, public lectures at Mudd. :)

tbleakne said:
My impression is that many more of the newer generation of EV owners have very limited expectations for their LEAFs or other vehicle, and many have little or no interest in using public charging to extend their range.
I'm not surprised. Using the LEAF within its single charge range is super convenient and enjoyable; this is the "low hanging fruit" of EV driving, most notably for those who lack the early adopter or enthusiast mindset. I've also met other LEAF owners who stay close to home, including one man whose LEAF never leaves Big Bear Lake. Relying on public charging, one has to deal with ICEing, broken charging stations, sometimes no charging stations available, multiple charging networks (Blink, evGo, ChargePoint, GE, AV, etc.), and prices that are higher than gasoline even before the recent drop in oil prices. Tesla Supercharging is more user friendly, but at a price of course.

I can't believe it's been years since I've seen many of you. Congrats to Gary on the shiny new wheels, by the way!

Thanks for the "Congrats" on my silver "Nicolas" vehicle.
It is several steps beyond where I have "never gone before". :eek:

To help protect it, I am trying to find a great place to get the paint
"corrected" if necessary, and an OptiCoat Pro coating applied.
Suggestions or thoughts welcome.

I have listed my dear "Maple" on the OC Craigslist, but had
only a couple of nibbles, no really serious inquiries.

See you all for breakfast this coming Saturday in Santa Ana,
at the Hometown Buffet on 17th Street, assuming no major disasters.
Cheers, Gary

Nicolas should arrive a few minutes after 8 AM tomorrow,
Saturday Jan 24th, at the HTB on 17th Street (2 blocks East
of I-5). That is 25 hours and 18 minutes from now, plus
or minus a minute or so. Inside should be at least
Phil and Gary. See you there.

garygid said:
Nicolas should arrive a few minutes after 8 AM tomorrow,
Saturday Jan 24th, at the HTB on 17th Street (2 blocks East
of I-5). That is 25 hours and 18 minutes from now, plus
or minus a minute or so. Inside should be at least
Phil and Gary. See you there.

See ya then!

Gary, why not try a different place and go to the Poway meet on the 7th now that you have all the range in Nicolas? :D

JasonA said:
Gary, why not try a different place and go to the Poway meet on the 7th now that you have all the range in Nicolas? :D

I think that Gary "Just-Drove-The-Prius(TM)" the last several times that he's been down here. Now, there's no excuse to dump-the-pump.

Nicolas is in for an Opti-Coat Pro treatment, but storms in the Midwest
appear to have delayed the UPS or FedEx Ground shipment of the "goo".

It should make it easier to rinse off the dirt and road-grime, and give
him a "Blow-Dry" with a small electric (7A) leaf-blower that just arrived
from Amazon.

The Tesla android app indicates, according to his GPS, that Nicolas is
"in the shop" at Richard's http://www.ShowCarDetailing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; establishment.

Next Gathering, 7 Feb 2015 in Cerritos, at the Hometown Buffet
on South Street, which opens at 8 AM for breakfast. Hopefully, I will
arrive with a shiny Nicolas and Phil (yes, his eye is improving,
since he was blind in one eye and deaf in the other). :)

Last time, I thought that Nicolas had lost power, or the brains to
control it, and we coasted to the edge of the freeway, fortunately safely.
Then, I discovered, with help, that I had accidently made the car
shift into neutral. :(
Oh well, the critical part is often... the nut that holds the wheel.

Bring a friend or some kids, for National Kid Week.
(No, I just made it up).

Ho, Ho, Ho, Gary

I finally got Nocolas back from the http://www.ShowCarDetailing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; folks
(about two exits east of the freeway 91 and 55 interchange). The
ground shipment of Opti-Coat Pro "goo" got delayed in Midwestern
storms, so the process took a lot longer than normal. However,
the shine is great, although the result is more dramatic on a dark
color paint, like Black, Red (like Tom's), or dark Blue.

So, assuming all goes as planned, Nicolas should transport Phil
and myself to the Cerritos Gathering this coming Saturday,
along with an extra Tesla wheel rim (standard OEM 19" design).

I am going to use a wheel rim like this one as a "spare tire", after I
mount a tire on it. Then, it will ride in the front trunk (frunk) as
a spare for out-and-away trips. It even has Opti-Coat, I am told.

So, see you all soon, I hope. I am planning for an 8:03 AM arrival
at the Hometown Buffet on South Street, 2 blocks East of the 605.

Cheers, Gary

I need a 1.25", cylindrical, 30A, 250V ceramic fuse for my OpenEVSE. Plan to go to Orvac after the meeting, in the hope that they stock them. Does anyone have a spare to sell?
See y'all in the morning.

Update- Orvac doesn't carry the ceramic 30A fuses. Harbor Freight only has car fuses. Time for the internet.

Next EV (LEAF, Rav4EV, Tesla, etc.) Gathering on 21 February in Santa Ana.
Breakfast at Hometown Buffet on 17th Street, 2 blocks East of I-5.
HTB opens at 8 AM on Saturdays, see you there.

Allen, did you find the 30A fuse?
Cheers, Gary

Updated my post above regarding the fuse situation.

For those who got the OpenEVSE kits in 2012:
Reviewed the data sheet on the fuse holders we used. They are rated at 30A but the compatible fuse list shows nothing larger than 25A. The fuses we got were 30A ceramic. I was overheating the EVSE in 4 minutes when drawing 25A.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BK%2FHKP-R/283-2850-ND/1024094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After removing the fuse assembly, it takes almost an hour to get somewhat hot. Going to remove the Anderson connectors and re-do the quick connects to see if that reduces the heat further. Will add fuses back in after that. Probably will use the fuse assembly Chris now uses.
http://store.openevse.com/products/30a-cooper-bussman-miget-fuse-holder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Update: Noticeably less heat without the Anderson connectors.

Allen,
Even the 30A snap-in dual fuseholder at the OpenEvse website is
described as only 24A continuous.

Sounds like both the fuseholders and the Anderson connectors are
a current problem at the current level that you are currently using.
It seems that you are doing good work, my friend.

Since a DC rating of 30 Amps might be de-rated for continuous use,
and 30A (RMS) AC has current peaks of perhaps 1.4 times the RMS
value, sometimes the AC rating is even less than the DC rating.

Also, often there are manufacturing variations to consider.
See you at HTB in Santa Ana on the 21st, Gary

Allen, I have 30A ceramic slow blow fuses on hand. As Gary said the continuous rating is 80% or 24A. Really, it is better to use them at 16A since a good rule of thumb is to use a fuse at 1.5 to 2 times the expected current. Fuses fuse (melt) by getting hot!

Chris has gone to the larger 5AG style since the larger fuses run cooler due to the larger area.

It is a shame that both sizes max out in high voltage slow blow at 30A.

On the higher power EVSE's I build I do not use fuses at all. I depend on a proper sized circuit breaker.

Personally I have had problems with power poles and I avoid them. I wonder if filling them with dielectric grease would help. It was not available when I last used power poles.

I doubt I will make the meeting since as a diabetic I tend to overeat.

Glenn, Thanks for your offer. I ordered the fuse holder and fuses that Chris now uses in his kit. Should be more robust than the original.

The version of OpenEVSE on this device allows 20, 25 or 30A but not 24A. The Anderson connectors have been removed with concurrent reduction of heat.

As a possibility- Home Town Buffet has a drinks only option. I also know someone who they allow in without paying since he does not eat.

Gary- Thanks also for your encouragement and help.

GlennD said:
Allen, I have 30A ceramic slow blow fuses on hand. As Gary said the continuous rating is 80% or 24A. Really, it is better to use them at 16A since a good rule of thumb is to use a fuse at 1.5 to 2 times the expected current. Fuses fuse (melt) by getting hot!

Chris has gone to the larger 5AG style since the larger fuses run cooler due to the larger area.

On the higher power EVSE's I build I do not use fuses at all. I depend on a proper sized circuit breaker.

Personally I have had problems with power poles and I avoid them. I wonder if filling them with dielectric grease would help. It was not available when I last used power poles.

I wish a Happy, Loving Valentines Day to each of you.

As we have grown to become friends and "family", our
interaction continues to warm my internal fluid pump,
and enrich my somewhat strange existance here on
your fantastically rare, beautiful, blue and white orb.

People's lives here often appear to be surrounded with
way too much conflict as some squabble over who gets
what, and insufficient attention is given to being a good
shepherd to this delicate environment. This could be a
paradise for all, except some species keep breeding
like flies, until life just becomes a struggle to survive.

I suspect "Go forth and Multiply" meant become educated
and learn to get along, not overpopulate, hate, and fight.
Perhaps it is not too late for your grandchildren.

But, to each of you, thanks for sharing yourself and
your famlies with me, your kindness and warmth is
very much appreciated, and I am trying to learn to
be better and kinder.

Love, Gary the Gid

91040 said:
Glenn, Thanks for your offer. I ordered the fuse holder and fuses that Chris now uses in his kit. Should be more robust than the original.

The version of OpenEVSE on this device allows 20, 25 or 30A but not 24A. The Anderson connectors have been removed with concurrent reduction of heat.

As a possibility- Home Town Buffet has a drinks only option. I also know someone who they allow in without paying since he does not eat.

GlennD said:

In the higher power EVSE's I build I do not use fuses at all. I depend on a proper sized circuit breaker.

Allen, Just be aware the replacement fuse holder and fuses is MUCH LARGER! I do not think they will fit in the original enclosure.

If you use an external breaker I have some brass dummy fuses that will start a fire before they blow. I put them and a couple of fuses in my glove compartment so I will always have them. I built an EVSE for a person in Florida with temps over 115 degrees. The dummy fuses fixed his fuse blowing problem.

I think the fuse holder will fit if I remove one of the risers holding the LED. May also have to move the ground bar. Hmm…maybe I should mount the LED on the cover.

Plan to use this as a portable EVSE so fuses are recommended.

GlennD said:
91040 said:

Allen, Just be aware the replacement fuse holder and fuses is MUCH LARGER! I do not think they will fit in the original enclosure.

If you use an external breaker I have some brass dummy fuses that will start a fire before they blow. I put them and a couple of fuses in my glove compartment so I will always have them. I built an EVSE for a person in Florida with temps over 115 degrees. The dummy fuses fixed his fuse blowing problem.

Back