Other Leafs in Iowa?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There must be plenty of them in CR area by now. Last time I wanted to charge at New Bo market both places were used by Leafs! I had to wait few hours before I could go home :)

I don't know if I would say plenty. I know of 5 for sure, but I don't see too many of them around. New Boo Market always is full since that's really the only place to charge on the SE side of the city. I might have been one of them you were waiting on since I have charged there before. If I was, sorry.

Iowa has been quiet for a while now. Anyone new in Iowa? How are the other Leaf's making it through these sub arctic temps we have been hammered with lately? Mine hasn't fared too well if you have seen my other posts. This was an experiment therefore that's why I leased it, but also a learning experiment. The Leaf is not for me. I like electric cars, but won't lease or buy another one unless it gets a minimum of 200 miles (real world, not what the manufacturer says it will get) and has a TMS on it. I won't even look at one without a TMS.

Thankfully because of this forum I was prepared for the worst before buying and so far what people have said on here is spot on. During the coldest stretch I was still able to go 50 miles on a charge with 20% left. Now I'm not going to lie I don't use heat (other than preheat) and I defrost using fan only. Yesterday with temps hitting 60°F k arrived home with 37% soc left. Summer range will be nice but summer degradation is what I fear.

I just got a the '13 S two weeks ago. Love it so far but still getting used to the GOM. I drove to work On 80 (about 11 miles from home) in the -23 degree weather. That went ok. But then tried to go to Jordan Creek and I turned around halfway there because with the cold, I wouldn't have made it. Wish they would have chargers in West Des Moines. Who would have thought WDM would not have EV chargers??

You would think they would especially around Jordan Creek. That's a very nice mall with I'm sure alot of traffic including EV's. Maybe they will eventually put one up somewhere around there. But then again, I don't think Iowa is there prime market for EV's even though I am seeing more of them over here in Cedar Rapids where I am.

I'm not currently a Leaf owner, but I'm considering getting one to replace our 2003 model-year car. I'm really curious to hear how you feel about driving your Leaf in Iowa!

After I started researching some plug-in cars, I was happy to see a number of them in Iowa City in just a week or two. I can report at least 1 Tesla Model S, at least 1 Chevy Volt, and at least 2 Nissan Leafs (different colors). I assume all of them live somewhere nearby, since I've seen them more than once.

On to my questions. Answers to any or all of them are appreciated!

* Would you recommend a Leaf for the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area?
* How bad is winter driving in Iowa? Average range?
* Have you had any problems getting your Leaf serviced at local dealers or 3rd parties?
* What's the futhest you've traveled from home in your Leaf? Have you ever run out of juice?
* How do you feel about public charging in Iowa?
* Any good/bad things about owning an EV in Iowa? (I read something about lower registration rates.)

I keep looking at the Leaf and thinking that it would fit 90-95% of our uses. The problem is, of course, the range. We only have 1 car right now, and I don't want to own a 2nd unless we really need it. Until the batteries are better and there are Level 3 chargers in Iowa, it sounds like we'd have to borrow (or even rent) a car once or twice a year. That's okay, I guess... but certainly not ideal.

I still can't tell if I'm crazy for considering a Leaf, but ever since the GM EV1 in the 1990s, I've thought it would be worth supporting EVs just so the situation would get better... otherwise the charging infrastructure here won't ever take off.

Hello Benjaminoakes. I will try to answer some of your questions, but I'll tell you up front I'm probably not the best person to be asking cause I think the Leaf has alot of downfalls. It's a great car, but needs alot more range, and an active TMS (Thermal Management System aka Liquid heating/cooling).

Would I recommend it? During the Summer months Certainly. The car does great on range when it's warm out. In the Winter time, no way. I do have a 2012 so I don't have the Heat Pump which is supposed to be more efficient. I have a post on here where I was having problems with mine in the Winter time. Dealer couldn't find anything of course.

How bad is Winter range? Well that's an open ended question. City? Highway? I would say 40 to 50 miles when new is a good estimate but that's city driving mostly and using the heater to keep you nice and toasty (again remember 2012 so no Heat Pump). Probably better in the 2013 + range.

I haven't had any problems with my dealer, but since I've Leased back in February of 2013, my car has only been back to the dealer twice. First time was for some updates Nissan came out with and the second time was when I was having all the troubles when the temp dropped down to like -25 degrees actual temp. They also did my annual battery check at the same time.

The furthest I have ventured myself is just down to Iowa City and back from Cedar Rapids. I think the round trip was like a hare over 50 miles give/take so no I haven't ever ran it out. The furthest I've taken mine down to is Low Battery warning. There is another Leaf owner in West Iowa that took his on a road trip around Christmas time so it was cold and he went quite a ways.

Public charging in Iowa is few and far between. We have like 6 or 7 public chargers in Cedar Rapids, but then Nothing till you get to Waterloo or Iowa City. Nothing in between. Same to Des Moines. No charging really following 30 or 80 so that's a risky stretch that I'm not willing to try.

If you lease a Leaf your plates in Iowa are $25 per Year, doesn't matter what year leaf you have. Now I've been told by the DMV that if I purchase the vehicle, then the plates will be based off the purchase price of the vehicle. Mine's Leased so I pay $25 per year. As far as a Leaf in Iowa again love it in the Summer time, hate it in the Winter. I think it would be better though if the battery was heated again a TMS system.

Those are my thoughts.

I live in ankeny, work in Des moines. Love the car! But I feel comfortable with the range because I have a 2nd car for long range trips; such as going to Iowa city, Omaha, etc. I haven't tried to go to Indianola or Ames from Ankeny, but it could be doable if I don't take the interstate. Happy with it for sure. Wish Des Moines (downtown), Jordan Creek would have charging stations.

I have another vehicle too thank god because there's many times I have to use it cause the range is so terrible in the Leaf. It's my work car which I live 3 miles from my work so round trip is like 6 miles. No issue there. However most of our other usage falls on our other car. I'm just saying that a $25,000-$30,000 car is pretty high to be considered a second vehicle. If I'm spending that on a car, I should be able to jump into it and go wherever I choose whenever I want. The Leaf can't do that. That's why I'm saying the electric drive is great and it's a fun car to drive, but it really needs to go about 3 times the distance that it currently can for the price the car is. Battery technology really needs a major boost and in a hurry. Also with having experience now in cold weather, I will not lease or purchase another electric vehicle without a TMS. That was Nissan's biggest mistake and they still won't add it. I don't care what battery chemistry they choose, it still needs a TMS to cool it in the summer and heat it in the winter. I will not go without it again.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like the biggest issues are winter driving and using it as an only vehicle, as I was suspecting. I'm still considering purchasing a Leaf, but it sounds like waiting would be for the best unless our short-range driving increases significantly.

Hi,
I just joined, and have had a 2013 Leaf S on lease since March of '13. I've put a ton of miles on in all kinds of weather, and have gone out specifically to "shake it down" in the worst of the worst weather for a year and a half now.

* Would you recommend a Leaf for the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area? Absolutely.

* How bad is winter driving in Iowa? Average range? Totally flogging on it (constant 70 to 75 mph on freeway, heat blasting, all seat heaters on = most power draw I could cause; 20 degrees outdoors) the lowest I could force the range to was 55 miles actually driven, getting home with the --- flashing. Based on the guessometer and distance from home when it went to ---, I would have had about 5 miles left when I parked at home. **UPDATE Now into my second season of wintry weather driving, and this range is down to about 45 miles**

* Have you had any problems getting your Leaf serviced at local dealers or 3rd parties? Never had it serviced by a 3rd party. It's leased, and has bumper-to-bumper. Local dealer has been alright, not spectacular, not bad.

* What's the futhest you've traveled from home in your Leaf? Have you ever run out of juice? I've had a number of 100 mile days, actually. Thought it was a big deal at first, but it's not hard to do. No, I've never run out of juice. I have no problem going to a park 40 highway miles away. On a day with shirtsleeve weather, it'll go more than 70 miles on the slab and easily mid 90s on surface streets.

* How do you feel about public charging in Iowa? Like the idea. There's nowhere near enough.

* Any good/bad things about owning an EV in Iowa? (I read something about lower registration rates.) It is registered for the $25, but good thing I took a printout regarding that to the courthouse with me; they had never heard of it, and I'm sure it was the talk of the office for a while afterwards.

Wow, thanks for the great response! I'm still a little on the fence about getting a Leaf in the short term, so I'm hoping our ICE will last us long enough for the next major revision of the Leaf with the rumored range of 130+ mi. That would make it a lot easier to consider it an only car because we could use it for longer trips.

I was in Des Moines today and saw a darker grey Leaf drive by the Kmart on Hubbell Ave. Anyone on the forum? I did not have my leaf with me since that's quite a drive from Cedar Rapids and not much charging in between the two cities. Just wondering if it was anyone on here.

Hello Iowa LEAF'ers! I purchased my Black 2013 LEAF SV about a month ago. I am happy to see there are a few others on here. I live across the road from the new Hy-Vee in Ankeny, and they have 4 6V chargers right up front! It's almost like having my own handi-cap parking space! I charge over there about every other day...do my grocery shopping, and have an adult beverage at the bar in the Market Grill! It's so sweet!!!! I will sometimes plug in, and walk home for a bit before walking back.

Anyway, I have seen 1 other black LEAF charging regularly at Hy-Vee...the bartender thinks its one of the teachers at DMAC right down the road. We keep crossing paths, but sure we will meet up.

Just a couple days ago, I met another LEAF'er charging who was on his way back to Huxley, and it is his 1/2 way stop for wherever he goes. He owns two...one for him, and one for his wife.

Lastly, I think the Fighting Burrito in Ames has 3 LEAF's they use for deliveries. And if you are in Ames, and need a charge (and a great burrito!), you can charge there. Also, the sales manager at the Nissan of Ames owns a black LEAF, and you can charge there.

In Des Moines I am luck to have so many places to charge. There are two Hy-Vee's with chargers on my way to work (16 miles one way). I usually stop at one of them for a coffee and donut on the way to work, and a quick 15 min charge.

So far, so good! Love to hear from others. Would also like to start a small Iowa LEAF group!!!

Cheers!

Ken

We have formed a group in Iowa to promote the adoption of EVs in our state; EVIowa! Most of our owners are in eastern Iowa but we'd love to find more Leaf owners all over the state. We are holding an event this weekend on Sunday, Oct. 19 in the Iowa City area. We will be offering test rides in a Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, BMW i3 and Tesla Model S. Visit http://www.EVIowa.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to learn more.

I love my Leaf!

I have solar panels at my house and make my own "fuel".

I've spent the last year advocating for more charging infrastructure with mixed results. I was working at GoDaddy in Hiawatha at the time and got them to install four Level 2 EVSEs for GoDaddy employees in the parking lot.

I approached 4 small towns in Iowa with the idea of doing fund raising and donating a Level 2 EVSE to each town. Each was located roughly 1/2 way from Cedar Rapids to:
1. Waterloo
2. Iowa City
3. Quad Cities
4. Des Moines

So far, the interest in these small towns is really low. Most did not reply to my emails or phone calls. The ones that did discussed it with me but just were not interested (not even for free). We clearly are in the "early adoption, early awareness" phase for EVs in Iowa. I'm not ready to give up, though. :D

Tesla has an initiative to install more Level 2 chargers so I'm trying to work that angle for Iowa.

If folks are interested to advocate for more adoption of EVs in Iowa, please let me know. You can email me through the EVIowa.info website.

Hey MarcFranke,

I just now saw your ad about the EV event on 10/19. Day Late, dollar short. Story of my life. Anyways, my lease is coming due in February 2015 (thank god). Unfortunately I can't say I love my leaf. I'm actually well disappointed. It's a great car to drive don't get me wrong, but the range is absolutely worthless. Especially in the winter months. Now to be fair, I do have a 2012 version so I don't have the heat pump. That thing is terrible on range in the cold added with a very power hungry resistive heater. I probably would be best not to have been at your event on 10/19 cause I would tell it like it is (at least how I feel about the car in the winter). Nissan is working on batteries that are better in the heat, but have done pretty much nothing for us that live in cold climates which I believe is just as big of a problem as heat but Nissan is ignoring it. I can't wait till this thing goes back. I won't even look at another EV until they break at least 200 Highway miles traveling 65 to 70 mph per charge and have liquid heating/cooling of the battery. As far as I'm concerned Liquid heating/cooling is not an option, it's mandatory. I don't care what battery chem they use, it will have to be liquid heated and cooled or I"m walking the other way. Simple as that.

CRLeafSL :
I can understand your frustration. I'm new to all of this and so just starting to see winter results. I bought the car assuming it would address my daily needs, not longer trips. So far I've been doing well. I figured my typical day is about 30 miles, and so even if actual range is half of rating, I'd still have plenty to get home. I also have a few public charging options around town if I feel 10 miles range boost would help me home. But so far I've just been charging 110v at home.

I wanted to point out that it is hard to say Nissan is ignoring the cold. They will be working on getting more range into the footprint for the next decade, and every time they roll out a new version, that's going to help cold weather drivers.

I was curious if you've considered how much of your 200mi @ 70MPH requirement is due to the lack charging infrastructure as compared to actual battery capacity requirement. So, consider the opposite situation. I mean in a world where you could L2 charge every time you park, how much range would you actually need in the battery? And if you do drive 100+ miles at a stretch, if charging were pervasive, would you be completely unwilling to detour your trip to charge once or twice?

I am also curious if your TMS requirement is a result of your desire to have more consistent range? Or a desire to have a long-lived battery? Or if there are other factors. It's always seemed like a lot of energy to me to heat or cool the entire thermal mass of the battery. Having said that, I wish it would engage the battery heater when I'm plugged in, any time that doing so would give more range (or give an option to select if I want fastest charge time, or most resulting capacity). Otherwise the battery heater doesn't come on until it gets below zero(F).

To reply to Kikngas:

I believe that TMS is indeed necessary because we all know that a warm battery performs better and holds more energy. I will also admit that range should stay more constant with a TMS. I just think adding more buffer with a larger battery to compensate for colder climate losses is not the answer. That's just putting a band aid on a bigger issue. Warm the battery and you won't have cold losses. So Yes I do believe Nissan is ignoring a permanent fix with a band aid and I refuse to buy any EV from any manufacturer that refuses to put a TMS on the battery. I understand warming the battery takes energy, but in my opinion energy that is absolutely necessary to have a well performing battery in any temp. It is needed.

To address your infrastructure comment about the 200 miles at 70MPH, no having more chargers doesn't change my opinion. I look at cars being gas or electric to be able to take me where I want to go when I want to go. Now I know that the leaf is meant to be an in town commuter car (which I think is a big waste of money, but my opinion) and I leased it knowing that. Now that I've had it for almost two years, I know it's not for me. Until I can climb into an electric car and travel about as far as I can in a gas car, I will stay with gas. I wouldn't buy a gas car that could only go 70-80 miles per tank even though there are gas stations everywhere. Same for the electric. It would have to go at least 200 miles + at highway speeds before I would have to stop and charge. Adding more chargers and me having to stop twice as much is again not the solution.

One more week with this POS. Man I'm counting down the days and to add fuel to the fire, I'm going back to a '99 Dodge Ram 4x4 pickup with a 5.9L in it and am actually looking forward to it. At least in my truck I can go further than 40 to 50 miles and have all the heat I want. This car is the biggest joke I've ever driven in cold weather and I've owned alot of different vehicles. We will see if Nissan puts a TMS on the Version 2 Leaf due out in 2016 I believe, but doubt it. If they don't, I'll never look at Nissan again, especially for electric. My next electric WILL have a TMS on it. No if's and's' or butt's about it. It will have it.

Well my Leaf is gone. Turned her back into the dealer. It was a learning curve but now I know what an electric car has to have for me to buy. The Leaf isn't even close to meeting my criteria so no more for me until they make big drastic changes to it. I'm back to ICE for now and not regretting a minute of not having my leaf. Have fun with yours ( I feel sorry for ya).

Back