Low temperature front end noise?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

videographer

2nd winter with my SLR PWRD 2012 Leaf. Last winter I noticed a clunking noise in the left-front suspension when driving in cold weather. Took it to the dealership twice, but other than greasing some stuff they were not much help. This winter the noise seems to be coming from both sides. How many of us cold-country folks have seen (heard) this, and perhaps more important, has anyone gotten it fixed?

Thanks in advance -

I have the same noise coming from the left front suspension when passing over bumps. The noise only appears in cold weather. Will probably go to the dealer in a cold morning in the coming days.

I'm getting a suspension 'clunk' in cold weather too. My car anniversary is in late January - so hopefully it'll be cold and i'll have my dealer check my car noise out.

My 2011 Leaf with 15K miles also has the same scratchy front suspension noise when I drive over speed bumps in 40-degrees-or-colder weather.

My local Nissan dealer in Charlotte, NC, says their other Leaf cars in their used car lot also has the same noise, so they say it is "normal" and would not fix it.

Please let me know if anyone has this fixed, and which parts were fixed?

Thanks,
Philip

I have a similar problem on my 2012. What sounds like a clunking noise will eventually develop into a slightly longer moan (like a rusty hinge). It's a ball joint. Dealership won't repair it, can't reproduce the issue- but it's there every day I drive it. I can't wait for Tesla to take over...

I experienced very similar symptoms in my 2012 LEAF SL: A creaking noise when going over low-speed speed bumps (which looked like the city's standard "two foot residential" style) at low to moderate speeds. Like the OP, it seemed to me that cold weather (temperatures in the 30s of degrees F) aggravated the problem. The best way I could describe the noise was to say it sounded like two Styrofoam picnic ice-chests rubbing against one another.

The dealer's tech took the car out for a brief spin and confirmed my report of the noise, adding that he also heard a clicking sound from the CV joints (I had heard a clicking, but had put it down to having rocks in one of the tire treads). The dealer's shop (Wilsonville Nissan) told me they'd need to order a repair part, and had me come back the next day. They corrected both problems at no charge. I can't find any record of their remedy for the clicking joints (I believe they said that they just lubed them, same as other folks have reported here), but they did list what they did for the squeaks:

"VERIFIED CONCERN OF CREAK/SQUEAK NOISE OVER BUMPS AT LOWER SPEEDS. ISOLATED NOISE TO SWAY BAR BUSHINGS, REPLACED BOTH SWAY BAR BUSHINGS AND ROAD TESTED THE SAME AGAIN. VERIFIED NOISE NO LONGER HEARD ON ROAD TEST AFTER REPAIR"

Dear Levenkay,

Your diagnosis was right on target. I told my local Nissan dealer the exact part you mentioned, and they did a test drive with me, noticed the noise, and replaced the parts.

No fuss, no guesswork.

Thanks again!
Philip

My car is out of warranty, and I'm getting a really bad creaking sound now in the cold weather.
I looked to buy a couple stabilizer bar bushings online, and here's what I'm finding:
  • 2011-2012 Leaf Stabilizer Bar Bushing, 54613-JD04A, $60
  • 2013-2015 Leaf Stabilizer Bar Bushing, 54613-3NK0B, $6
Why is there such a huge difference in price? Are the parts actually different?

My brother's 2013 started having the loud clunk a few weeks ago. Having the wheel turned while backing up is when it is the worst. Then last week my 2012 started having the same issue. I just made a service appointment for tomorrow. I will update after it's fixed.

mwalsh said:
$12 aftermarket (Febest) part any better for you?
http://www.amazon.com/54613-Jd04A-54613Jd04A-Stabilizer-Bushing-Nissan/dp/B00HCORMZS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks mwalsh! Parts ordered. It's worth a try.
Next I'll need to learn how to replace the bushing. :)

Looks like this job is too involved for me.

(click for larger image)
This picture shows the subframe (called the "front suspension member" in the service manual) & the steering rack. The stabilizer bar bushing mounts to the top of the subframe. It can be partially seen in that small gap between the frame & the steering rack.

According to the service manual, removal of the sway bar requires removing that subframe. That means holding up the traction motor while you remove the motor mounts. I was hoping that less would be necessary to just replace the bushing, but I just can't see how to get up in there without dropping the frame.

Levenkay said:
"VERIFIED CONCERN OF CREAK/SQUEAK NOISE OVER BUMPS AT LOWER SPEEDS. ISOLATED NOISE TO SWAY BAR BUSHINGS, REPLACED BOTH SWAY BAR BUSHINGS AND ROAD TESTED THE SAME AGAIN. VERIFIED NOISE NO LONGER HEARD ON ROAD TEST AFTER REPAIR"

After having this issue with my leaf since new for 3 years and taking it twice to the dealer without them being to repair it, I printed your quote from this forum, asked to speak to the "hybrid mechanic" and handed it over to him. left the car at the dealer for a day and he ordered and replaced the stabilizer bar bushings and issue is resolved!!!. THANKS to Levenkay. I'm including an image to the workorder with details listed.

garsh said:
For those that have had the dealership do the work - any idea how much it would cost out of warranty?
My dealer quoted about $300 in labor to swap the bushings. They couldn't reproduce the noise (it was pretty warm when they had it), so I didn't bother getting it done. I think I'll have them look at it again before next winter.

Has anyone seen or inspected the old sway bar bushings or been given information by the service department on how they are failing?
Is the material becoming brittle in cold weather and the surface of the bushing is becoming rough causing the noise?
If the replacements are the same won't they fail again in less than three years in cold climate?
Seems like the root cause of the problem should be corrected with bushings made of a better material.

my 2012 with 4800 miles on it (last september) made teh same scrunching noise on bumps and any significant "drop" such as a drive way that produces the same suspension "dip" as a speed bump does.

Sounded like a bushing to me so I am not worried about it. I have a feeling it is "one of those noises" that is likely common but we as leaf owners NOTICE it because of how quiet the car is otherwise. IE others do it but can't hear it over the engine noise.

is there an upgraded part aftermarket made of better material for this part? figure if I ever do replace it might as well upgrade it. otherwise not a huge concern to me.

it never does it when it is warmer (over 25-30' f) only when it is really cold.

My 2011's front end was very noisy going over speed bumps. Diagnosed with sway bar bushings worn out.
Was quoted $665 CDN for repair. Part is only $11, rest was labour. Nice and quiet now.

Lon12 said:
My 2011's front end was very noisy going over speed bumps. Diagnosed with sway bar bushings worn out.
Was quoted $665 CDN for repair. Part is only $11, rest was labour. Nice and quiet now.
I have the same issue. I bought the new bushings, then I looked in the service manual for how to replace it. It requires disconnecting much of the front end suspension and dropping the entire motor out of the car! So, I'm just going to live with it until my Model 3 gets here.

I bought my 2015 leaf used in 2018 from a nissan dealership. Would this be covered under warranty now?

Back