BMS Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did great job with this research, Turbo3

I've been trying also yesterday to connect the OBD/Bluetooth (same as yours) to the BMS, but without any batteries - it does not make any connection to the BMS.
Powered all 3 lines - connected together to +12V. The processor has power and some CAN info on the oscilloscope at pin 1 and pin 13.
But no connection on the Leaf Spy Pro. Tested with 3 different BMS - same result.
Is there any specific settings on the Leaf Spy to connect directly to the BMS, not looking for the other car computers?

It does not read even the temperatures either, act like no connection. Each CAN side has 120ohm resistor.
The android with the same OBD/Bluetooth on a car works.

I have few pieces of these BMS 2012,2013 models left, can provide if somebody interested to do experiments.

Thanks

nikmaster said:
You did great job with this research, Turbo3

I've been trying also yesterday to connect the OBD/Bluetooth (same as yours) to the BMS, but without any batteries - it does not make any connection to the BMS.
Powered all 3 lines - connected together to +12V. The processor has power and some CAN info on the oscilloscope at pin 1 and pin 13.
But no connection on the Leaf Spy Pro. Tested with 3 different BMS - same result.
Is there any specific settings on the Leaf Spy to connect directly to the BMS, not looking for the other car computers?

It does not read even the temperatures either, act like no connection. Each CAN side has 120ohm resistor.
The android with the same OBD/Bluetooth on a car works.

I have few pieces of these BMS 2012,2013 models left, can provide if somebody interested to do experiments.

Thanks
You must have +12v to pins 7 & 12 of the BMS.

When you wire up the OBDII socket you must wire the EV-CAN from the BMS to Car-CAN of the OBDII Socket.

BMS pin 1 CAN-H to OBDII socket pin 6
BMS pin13 CAN-L to OBDII socket pin14
Power and Ground to OBDII socket too

On LeafSpy Pro you must select BMS as the model year in settings (selection before 2011).

Turbo3 said:

When you wire up the OBDII socket you must wire the EV-CAN from the BMS to Car-CAN of the OBDII Socket.

On LeafSpy Pro you must select BMS as the model year in settings (selection before 2011).

Thanks. Works. The problems was the "BMS" option - I did not mention it.

Will test it with the current sensor and pack of 16 cells to see how is doing. Also will test it in charging if that BMS will try to do balancing. Probably not, but for monitoring system still can be used.

I will post the results here.

nikmaster said:
Turbo3 said:

Thanks. Works. The problems was the "BMS" option - I did not mention it.

Will test it with the current sensor and pack of 16 cells to see how is doing. Also will test it in charging if that BMS will try to do balancing. Probably not, but for monitoring system still can be used.

I will post the results here.
Anything less than the original 96 cells will require rewiring of the BMS board and some care to not burn out the ICs.

Turbo3 said:
Anything less than the original 96 cells will require rewiring of the BMS board and some care to not burn out the ICs.

I'm willing to rewire from the PC2 diode to PC4, so this way will cut the second 48 cells.
Will test it with 48 cells only to see what will happen.

There is also one EEPROM on the processor board - is almost impossible to contain the maximum number of the cells, but who knows.

Need to test if the current sensor will count the A/h also.

nikmaster said:

Thanks
I have been wondering what micro-controller they use. I noticed that on another
micro-controller that I was using, that the documentation indicated that even
though the flag is set that that says you can not read the code, that the code
could still be read using the JTAG interface. I would be curious to see if that
holds true for the BMS micro-controller.

cliff said:
nikmaster said:

Thanks
I have been wondering what micro-controller they use. I noticed that on another
micro-controller that I was using, that the documentation indicated that even
though the flag is set that that says you can not read the code, that the code
could still be read using the JTAG interface. I would be curious to see if that
holds true for the BMS micro-controller.

On the controller says:
70F3236

Here is the link to the PDF:
http://pdf.datasheetarchive.com/indexerfiles/Datasheets-IS26/DSA00511174.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Contact me - I can provide one for experiments.

I did some experiments. Looks like it can be used for monitoring of 8-96 cells.
Is best to have number of cells dividable by 4. Still did not test the balancing.
I bypassed the the second of the 48 cells and connected 48 only

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Still working with 47 cells

7.jpg

Removed one more cell - left 46. The last channel of 4 stopped working, still communication available, but showing only 44 cells now. If removed one more cell - no communication any more.

8.jpg

The current sensor works - makes - 3.162V no load and 3.142 with 3A charging. But the display does not show that info - I think is a software problem. It does not show the current in the real car also in BMS mode, when selected the year - then the current appear.

nikmaster said:
On the controller says:
70F3236

Here is the link to the PDF:
http://pdf.datasheetarchive.com/indexerfiles/Datasheets-IS26/DSA00511174.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the info. From the documentation this controller is more protected.
The JTAG only has 2 states either disabled, or enabled, but requires a 79 bit ID.
From your picture the silk screen indicates these pins have been brought out
to the circuit board, so possible it is enabled, but without the ID, probably
not useful. Other protections are available to make sure the device is not
accidentally re-flashed.

I'm buying a Leaf battery pack from a junk yard. I'm going to connect it 32s3p instead of 96s1p, to get ~120V nominal. I would save some money if I could use the original BMS with the new battery config, instead of buying an aftermarket BMS. Do you think that would work?

Will the BMS auto-balance cells when needed? or is that decision made somewhere else in the car, and sent to the BMS over the CAN interface?

In other words, do I need to write some code which reads the BMS through CAN, and sends commands to activate the shunts when appropriate? or will the BMS brain do that for me, so that just a simple monitoring app like Leaf spy would be needed?

EDIT: another thought, would it be beneficial to connect all ASICs (3 paralleled ASICs per cell group) to the reconfigured battery, so that the BMS "thinks" that "everything is fine, all 96 cells connected"? Or wouldn't that matter, BMS would work fine even if 64 cells are "dead"?

The battery pack arrived to the garage yesterday and I removed the lid. I also bought an ELM 327 OBDII to Bluetooth.

I made a simple cable to connect the ELM 327.
I bought the female OBDII from a junkyard, the guy gave me one which has the ability to reconfigure the pins. I removed all pins and added only four - pin5 (GND), pin16 (12V) and pins 6+14 (CAN). It turned out that the round connector in the Leaf battery has a standard 0.1" spacing, which was neat because I could use simple standard female headers for that end. In the upper left of the round battery connector are two 12V pins. Upper right are two CAN pins. Just below the CAN pins are three GND pins.

The ELM 327 and BMS powered up on first attempt,

and I could connect with the App.

Everything just worked. Thanks for the info in this thread. Thank you for the App, Turbo3.

Looks like my pack is in good condition. It's from a 2013 Leaf with only 6800km.
Next step will be to take the pack apart and connect it 3p. Then I will attempt the modifications to the BMS.

Hello everyone! I'm from the city of Kiev. It Ukraine. My friends and I remake Porsche 924 in electric vehicle. It will be installed with 96 units Nissan Leaf. Therefore we wanted to ask your advice if we can install this machine on the BMS, to our 96 modules. What you need to do, or it is not possible. Thanks to all!
gUE96S93AmI.jpg

937BcwrQSgM.jpg

FHtUH0-I-u0.jpg

$_57.JPG

Possible, but the they have to be connected as 96 cells - two in parallel, and also is not sure that this will be able to do the balancing, since is calculated to one pack balancing only

Hi,

I am doing a vectrix conversion to leaf batteries and want to use the leaf BMS. I am only managing 18 modules with 36 cells. So all I have to do is bypass the remaining 60 ASICs? Did anyone confirm that it would balance cells and initiate charger cut off?

Hi to the forum, was directed here from another forum member from a renewables forum.

I have got a leaf battery from a 2014 model gen 2 cells, complete. I want to use the complete pack in a home energy recovery system to work with my solar pv and a ups.

Is it possible to connect a micro controller like an arduino or duinomite with can bus connector, Imwoiod definately use leafspy with an elm327 as an instant visual display to indicate the condition of the pack, but I would also like to use the same can messages for battery voltage, pack voltage and temperature sensors into an arduino to control the charge and discharge process.
The leafspy already knows what these messages are as they are already reading and displaying them.
I'd need to know what the can message addresses are to write them into code for the micro controller.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you. Anthony.

Glyndwr1998 said:
Hi to the forum, was directed here from another forum member from a renewables forum.

I have got a leaf battery from a 2014 model gen 2 cells, complete. I want to use the complete pack in a home energy recovery system to work with my solar pv and a ups.

Is it possible to connect a micro controller like an arduino or duinomite with can bus connector, Imwoiod definately use leafspy with an elm327 as an instant visual display to indicate the condition of the pack, but I would also like to use the same can messages for battery voltage, pack voltage and temperature sensors into an arduino to control the charge and discharge process.
The leafspy already knows what these messages are as they are already reading and displaying them.
I'd need to know what the can message addresses are to write them into code for the micro controller.

Thank you. Anthony.
Review this thread for how to read BMS information.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11676

Glyndwr1998 said:

Thank you. Anthony.

Anthony;
Did you ever successfully integrate into (assuming an off-grid) solar system (or maybe energy shifting GT scheme?) What UPS where you considering to operate at such high DC voltages?

Back