Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pkulak said:
And the turning radius is tiny. Probably because of the skinny tires.

The main reason for the difference in turning circle between a Leaf and the i3 is that the Leaf is front wheel drive and the i3 is rear wheel drive.

Front wheel drive cars have to cope with driveshafts and associated hardware that limits turning angles. Wider wheels might reduce the i3's available turning radius a little, but putting narrower wheels on the Leaf isn't going to help...

My lease is up in a few months and I was researching my options for a replacement BEV to compare with a Volt. I stumbled upon this:

New 2014 BMW i3 Mega for $34,700 (the exact price I paid for my LEAF in 2012). They are also offering $198/mo with $3500 down plus first month. I'm incredibly tempted to just start leasing this now and take Nissan up on their early release offer.

http://www.erhardbmwoffarmingtonhills.com/VehicleDetails/new-2014-BMW-i3-4dr_HB-Farmington_Hills-MI/2301202483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

::EDIT::

Reached out to dealer, it was a price mistake. Actual price is $37,700.

24-month, 10,000 mile per year lease
63% residual
$4875 of the $7500 tax credit is passed on to reduce cap cost

Still not a terrible deal.

Reached out to dealer, it was a price mistake. Actual price is $37,700.

24-month, 10,000 mile per year lease
63% residual

that means 37% is your 24 month lease deal which comes to $13,690 or $570+/month not even considering the money factor.

$570/month is not a great deal in my opinion for a puny 80 mile range two door car even with a BMW tax. Give me a break..

Watch the video at the link.

Nice to know that Nissan may soon be joined by a second manufacturer making a profit on BEV sales.

I agree, and if BMW had just offered US buyers the CHAdeMO port, I might already have replaced my LEAF.

In a nondescript industrial building in suburban Detroit, a $50,000 BMW is lying in pieces. The place looks like an illegal chop shop, where stolen vehicles are disassembled to be sold as parts. The body is on the floor, the chassis propped on a stand, the powertrain spread out in tiny bits on a table, the seats on somebody’s desk.

But A. Sandy Munro is no car thief: he paid full price for the BMW i3 he subsequently tore apart. Nor is he selling it for parts. He is, however, selling information about this remarkable car to anyone who is interested. And rest assured, a lot of people in the auto industry want to know its secrets.

This is, without a question of a doubt, the most advanced vehicle on the planet,” said Munro, chief executive of Munro & Associates, whose firm specializes in reverse engineering for the auto industry among others. “It’s as revolutionary as the Model T was when it came out.”...

Munro is still crunching the numbers, but is convinced that despite the high cost of carbon fiber and lithium-ion batteries, BMW has designed the i3 to be profitable at a volume of about 20,000 vehicles a year. Given the regulatory challenges the industry faces, he said, “Other carmakers are going to be dragged up to the chalkboard and told, ‘Do this’.”...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2015/01/04/video-unlocking-the-secrets-of-bmws-remarkable-car-of-the-future/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
I agree, and if BMW had just offered US buyers the CHAdeMO port, I might already have replaced my LEAF.

I would probably too, but on the other hand a new i3 would have about the same range as my aging Leaf whose resale value is not dropping at the rate of $300-400 per month, in fact it has been almost constant around 11k for private party since July according to kbb.

Wheels mag (Australia) is a hard core petrolhead magazine dominated by the local manufacturers and performance cars from all makes. That makes them handing out COTY to the i3 surprising and significant.

With BMW’s i3, the switching hour has struck. This innovative and compact electric car combines expressive design, impressive engineering, exceptional efficiency and persuasive practicality with a good deal of driver appeal.

Both admirable and desirable, the i3 is the car that signals, loud and clear, electric propulsion’s readiness for the road ahead.

For its far-sighted clarity of vision and unswerving execution, the i3 is Wheels Car of the Year 2014. It is the first electric car and the first BMW ever to win our award.

Efficiency is the obvious strong suit of the i3. Its underfloor lithium-ion battery pack stores the electric equivalent of just two litres of unleaded, but it’s enough to endow the i3 with a 100km-plus pure electric driving range. Easily more than the 40km the average Australian drives every day.

When recharged using renewable energy – and it’s hard to imagine anyone who buys an i3 wanting to use anything else – this urban warrior delivers practically emission-free mobility.

Range anxiety, however, remains an electric car reality. BMW offers a cure for the condition. The Range Extender version adds immensely to the BMW’s flexibility. It brings the freedom to make unplanned trips as well as longer journeys.

The i3 doesn’t only shine in comparison with fossil fuel power. It’s also more efficient than other electric cars.

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/car-of-the-year/1501/bmw-i3-wheels-car-of-the-year-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video mini review:
http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/car-of-the-year/1501/car-of-the-year-2014-finalist-bmw-i3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i just trawled through the Leaf and i3 brochures. The i3 comes out tops with regard to consumption per 100 kms. It's 12.9 kWhs as opposed to the Rex 13.5 kWhs, the Leaf is 15kWhs. Comparing the unladen weights, i3 1270, Rex 1390 and Leaf 1550. The i3 figures are better, but not earth shatteringly so! It's consumption is better mainly due to it's lighter weight! In the UK the Leaf has a 5 year/60k mile battery for the battery not to drop below 75%. The i3's warranty is 10 year100k mile for the battery not to drop below 70%. The BM is better, but much more expensive. You pay your money and you take your choice! :)

Capetown said:
i just trawled through the Leaf and i3 brochures. The i3 comes out tops with regard to consumption per 100 kms. It's 12.9 kWhs as opposed to the Rex 13.5 kWhs, the Leaf is 15kWhs. Comparing the unladen weights, i3 1270, Rex 1390 and Leaf 1550. The i3 figures are better, but not earth shatteringly so! It's consumption is better mainly due to it's lighter weight! In the UK the Leaf has a 5 year/60k mile battery for the battery not to drop below 75%. The i3's warranty is 10 year100k mile for the battery not to drop below 70%. The BM is better, but much more expensive. You pay your money and you take your choice! :)

I was just at the Camarillo BMW Dealership. Saw a $49.900 i3 2yr lease for $2500 down, under $200 month! Not bad for a $50,000 car!

Original article via ABG, but it links to this:
BMW releases important software update for i3 electric car
New programming is designed to fix a glitch Consumer Reports found when testing
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/03/bmw-releases-important-software-update-for-i3-electric-car/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As has been opined since BMW first announced this 'fix' when reports of the crippled REx started appearing, this is only a partial cure, as it doesn't provide the driver with a hold mode. Provided your climb starts close enough to the beginning of the trip it will help, but for people in places like California, where you have a significant distance to drive before you start your climb, it often won't help. You still need the hack to get a driver-selectable Hold mode.

GRA said:
Original article via ABG, but it links to this:
BMW releases important software update for i3 electric car
New programming is designed to fix a glitch Consumer Reports found when testing
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/03/bmw-releases-important-software-update-for-i3-electric-car/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As has been opined since BMW first announced this 'fix' when reports of the crippled REx started appearing, this is only a partial cure, as it doesn't provide the driver with a hold mode. Provided your climb starts close enough to the beginning of the trip it will help, but for people in places like California, where you have a significant distance to drive before you start your climb, it often won't help. You still need the hack to get a driver-selectable Hold mode.

And it turns out that the expected software update still isn't available. According to reliable sources on the i3 Facebook group, the newly available update only adds a warning on a display that full power may not be available. The partial cure that you refer to won't be out til much later this year.

cwerdna said:
AndyH said:
Saw an I3 in the wild yesterday afternoon - white with black. That's one homely vehicle. <shudder>
I think what you saw is what i3 folks refer to as either panda or Stormtrooper...
:shock: I hope not - I like panda stormtroopers! :lol:

stormtrooper-panda-90x120cm.jpg

^^^
Seriously...

Here's one I just grabbed off of someone's post on the BMW i3 Facebook group. Hope he doesn't mind. Some replied in a comment referring to it as a panda. Another person w/the identical scheme posted their pic and someone replied referencing stormtrooper.

Oh yeah... the vehicle pictured is a REx version since it has 2 covers for openings. The one in the front fender covers the gas hole since the gas tank is in the front. Some refer to it as "the flap of shame". :) The J1772 inlet w/optional Frankenplug is behind the rear flap.

Attachments

• 11143729_10204194665843158_8111590727603985081_n.jpg
    11143729_10204194665843158_8111590727603985081_n.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 152
The videos posted below are essentially commercials for M&A, but they give some more details on (IMO) how the i-3 design leads all other BEVs on the market today:

...In January, the consulting firm Munro & Associates produced an entertaining video showing how its engineers took apart and reverse-engineered an i3. Now the firm has released a series of short clips of the teardown process, each of which highlights an interesting feature of the innovative EV, from the clever design of its battery pack to the carbon fiber body to the economically-designed interior (you can skip the first minute of each video, a intro segment that’s almost the same for all three)...
http://chargedevs.com/newswire/more-videos-reveal-bmw-i3s-most-intimate-details/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I picked up a fully loaded 2014 i3 with the REx range extender on a 3 yr lease as a replacement for my 2013 LEAF SL that's coming off lease in mid-June. The car looks identical to the white one that cwerdna posted a picture of in his thread above, complete with the 20 inch sport wheels. I thought I'd post a bit about my decision here for those who are interested.

I realize that the i3 is widely considered on this forum to be ugly and overpriced for what it has to offer. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about the car for the past two years, so trust me, my eyes are open about the reliability and software issues. I'm expecting reliability to be at least something of an issue, so I waited for a very late 2014 build car with some of the early issues taken care of.

I wanted something fun to drive and seriously quicker and better handling than the LEAF, with some up to date electronic safety features and something that would let me travel to and around LA without thinking about range, and for trips up to Santa Barbara and San Diego as well. The reason I chose the BMW was that it's a small, quick, tight steering, light weight little EV. I actually like the styling and I find the carbon fiber construction and suicide doors interesting, besides having SAE DCFC, which is rapidly growing in availability here in So Cal, as well as a range extender that can add 50 or so miles when public charging fails for some reason.

I rejected the Spark and Fiat as too small and low end, the LEAF, Soul, Ford and VW for being too boring, short range and not quick enough, the RAV because I don't want a utilitarian SUV, and the Mercedes because it's heavy and inefficient and lacks DCFC. The Volt has an AER that's too short and I find it claustrophobic and boring. Sorry if I offend you with these comments. It's all about personal choice.

I actually seriously considered a Tesla 70D for two weeks, and I got the OK from the wife, but I found it too big a car for my tastes and for parking, heavy in the corners and the outward visibility compromised. A three year lease on one plus maintenance and increased insurance would have cost me almost three times what the BMW will cost me, and the Tesla's benefits weren't worth enough to me to make that much expense worth paying, especially given that we don't intend to travel very far by car in the next three years, so the Supercharger network isn't a big factor for us. I also never got that "gotta have it" feeling from the Tesla, and I needed to have that feeling if I was going to spend that much.

BMW is really trying to move the 2014s, and the deals are pretty good right now. I'm paying about $450 a month with zero down for a fully loaded car using BMW's optional refundable security deposit program to reduce the interest rate, and I'll get the Calif $2500 rebate. That's only about $30 a month more than my lease payment on my 2011 LEAF, a car with an MSRP $20,000 lower in 2011.

So far, I'm really enjoying driving the car. It's seriously quicker and handles better than the LEAF. I really like the leather and wood interior and the quality of the materials.

And here's the reliability issue raising its head already. I'm going to be really up front about reporting any issues with the car here, if folks are interested. After a week of driving, an error popped up regarding air bags or seat belt tensioning. I took the car to a dealer and it looks like a problem in a main wiring harness. ETA for the part from Germany: ten days. I'm in a loaner 328i sedan right now, but they're trying to get me an i3 loaner as soon as they can. I'll write here further when they get it fixed.

Boomer23 said:
I picked up a fully loaded 2014 i3 with the REx range extender on a 3 yr lease as a replacement for my 2013 LEAF SL that's coming off lease in mid-June. The car looks identical to the white one that cwerdna posted a picture of in his thread above, complete with the 20 inch sport wheels. I thought I'd post a bit about my decision here for those who are interested.
Thanks for your info. Heh. My '13 Leaf SV lease period is ending end of July 2015. Still contemplating whether I want to extend or not (12 month extension w/2 months payment waived), given that I won't be eligible for CVRP as the CVRP/CARB folks reneged. :( The i3 is not on my list of possible vehicles to switch to.
Boomer23 said:
I realize that the i3 is widely considered on this forum to be ugly and overpriced for what it has to offer. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about the car for the past two years, so trust me, my eyes are open about the reliability and software issues. I'm expecting reliability to be at least something of an issue, so I waited for a very late 2014 build car with some of the early issues taken care of.
Yep. I find it ugly and it was CRAZY overpriced at the beginning. Yep on reliability. I found it both troubling and somewhat comical.

There seem to be some folks who buy BMWs who seem to expect good reliability or something. They've never been particularly good at that on consistent basis (compared to say Honda or Toyota) when looking at Consumer Reports reliability ratings. Seems like those folks either ignore CR, think CR's ratings are bogus or aren't even aware of CR's reliability ratings.
Boomer23 said:
BMW is really trying to move the 2014s, and the deals are pretty good right now. I'm paying about $450 a month with zero down for a fully loaded car using BMW's optional refundable security deposit program to reduce the interest rate, and I'll get the Calif $2500 rebate.
That is a LOT better than at the beginning but it still kinda spendy, in my book.

Boomer23 said:
And here's the reliability issue raising its head already. I'm going to be really up front about reporting any issues with the car here, if folks are interested. After a week of driving, an error popped up regarding air bags or seat belt tensioning. I took the car to a dealer and it looks like a problem in a main wiring harness...
Color me shocked, not. Since you have the REx version, I wouldn't be surprised if you hit at least a couple of these: intermittent CELs, drivetrain malfunction messages, some critical failure (not a flat or blown tire) that leaves you stranded (e.g. drivetrain failure or broken motor mount), serious REx engine issues (I've seen a few reports of those).

I appreciate you being up front. I find it somewhat annoying that some of the folks on i3 Facebook group are BMW fanboys are willing to be WAY too forgiving and some seem to engage in Leaf bashing. After having experienced Japanese cars from at least decent to pretty good reliability (and fairly crappy GM cars before), my tolerance level is fairly low. I have no time for a new hobby of taking my car into the "spa" frequently.

Back