Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brianchi73 said:
JohnTomaszewski said:
brianchi73 said:
I have a direct contact for eVgo from the Auto Show. Let me dig up his info. As a matter of fact I had been meaning to tell him that this forum would love to hear from him. I've also almost ended up on the back of a tow truck because of these L3 chargers being unreliable.

While you're at it; ask him about the 'old' L3's at various Walgreen's locations (see them in Palatine at corner of Dundee & Hicks and Buffalo Grove close to corner of Lake Cook & Buffalo Grove Rd but do not appear operational)

For the next few days, it looks like we will have quite a bit of rain and lightning... how are others in the area handling charging their LEAFs over the coming days? I've seen a couple of tales of direct lightning strikes causing problems, and while my home is generally not the most likely target in the area, I don't know that I'd want to risk it on a "new" car. Should I just charge as much as I can during my waking hours (i.e. from when I get home until I go to bed, and when I wake up until I go to work)? I should be able to get 80%+ doing that hopefully, if the weather is forgiving enough during those times, and that should cover my commute, but I'm wondering what others' thoughts were on this.

ishiyakazuo said:
For the next few days, it looks like we will have quite a bit of rain and lightning... how are others in the area handling charging their LEAFs over the coming days? I've seen a couple of tales of direct lightning strikes causing problems, and while my home is generally not the most likely target in the area, I don't know that I'd want to risk it on a "new" car. Should I just charge as much as I can during my waking hours (i.e. from when I get home until I go to bed, and when I wake up until I go to work)? I should be able to get 80%+ doing that hopefully, if the weather is forgiving enough during those times, and that should cover my commute, but I'm wondering what others' thoughts were on this.

Once again, using a licensed electrician gives some peace of mind … when I had my service upgraded from 100 to 200 Amp, I made sure that they went to the trouble of tying in a beefy grounding rod just in case we get a lightning strike. Our EVSE L2 is on its own breaker as well and the unit itself seems unaffected by even brown outs (it's a Schneider unit) … any 'direct' hit will do some significant damage regardless but this takes care of nearby ground stuff. If the power goes out that's another problem altogether --- but we always have an ICE that we can drive as well.

Yeah, not sure what our house has in terms of grounding (I mean, I see the grounding wire go into the ground, but maybe it could use more -- I don't really know). I'm still using the 100A service the house came with when we bought it and haven't had trouble charging my LEAF, but I'm charging mostly overnight. I charged it in the evening when I got home yesterday because NOAA predicted a reasonable chance of thunderstorms here, and unplugged it before I went to bed (with about 90% charge). I'm thinking that I'll probably plan on driving the ICE tomorrow (because the bigger thunderstorms are coming tonight/tomorrow) unless I can get the LEAF to the same level tonight before the weather turns too bad. (My wife is more used to the ICE car, so I tend to leave it for her to use... yeah, that's my reason... that's the ticket...) ;)

redLEAF said:
gray said:
Phatcat73 said:
The 50 % evse state rebate is suspended unfortunately.

Are you sure it's the EVSE rebate that's suspended? From what I can see, it's the $4k EV state rebate that's on hold. The DECO's EV Infrastructure Rebate Program seems to be unchanged?

EV rebate (IL Alternative Fuel rebate program): http://www.illinoisgreenfleets.org/rebates/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVSE rebate (EV Infrastructure Rebate Program): http://www.illinois.gov/dceo/whyillinois/KeyIndustries/Energy/Pages/ev.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Their last update was February which said they still had funds … best bet would be to contact the IL rep on this, not sure it would be the same contact but back when I received mine it was:

Mike Motor (yes, that's his actual name and NOT a typo) at (217) 524-5859 [email protected]

http://www.illinois.gov/dceo/whyillinois/KeyIndustries/Energy/Pages/EnergyEfficiencyForms.aspx

IL has cut lots of programs but if all the 'allocated' funds to this particular IL EPA program for chargers were not used up they may have some left; doesn't hurt to call/email; this program requires you to jump through many more hoops than the EV rebate but is worth 50% of your EVSE equip + install so still worth it. As this one also deals more on the 'business' side (covers commercial EVSE installs as well as residential) perhaps they kept it ...

I forgot to post the answers that I found.

The $4k cash rebate program for vehicles is suspended. The 50% EV charger rebate is still active - at least until the 16th, when applications for this funding cycle are due. Caitlyn Barnes ([email protected]) is a better/faster contact than Michael Motor.

Been running into a number of LEAFs in south Arlington Heights recently. Two blue ones within the past week or so. 1225 EL and 2053 EL I think they were? I was surprised to see an EL plate over 2000. (I haven't received mine yet...) Now I'm really curious what number I'll get. Hoping it's something easy to remember like 2222 or 2345 or something along those lines...

ishiyakazuo said:
Been running into a number of LEAFs in south Arlington Heights recently. Two blue ones within the past week or so. 1225 EL and 2053 EL I think they were? I was surprised to see an EL plate over 2000. (I haven't received mine yet...) Now I'm really curious what number I'll get. Hoping it's something easy to remember like 2222 or 2345 or something along those lines...

The EL series plates have actually passed the 3000 mark in IL (saw a Tesla with 32xx a few months back); if you look back through the early postings on this thread you'll see most of the earlier adopters received new EL plates in the high 200's and low 300's … most of the EV's registered prior to that point were EV conversions or a handful of Tesla roadsters. Perhaps you'll get 3456 … new EL plates were taking up to 60 days from the IL SOS office but perhaps that's improved.

Hey Chicagoland Leaf owners, possible member here. I've been looking at getting a 2015 SV, but the dealers have been really confusing me. Autobarn Nissan in Evanston has the car i want listed for 17 940, which is something like 17 grand off. I've been waiting to hear back from them but as of now I have no idea of what a reasonable price + TTL is. Anyone who purchased recently around here able to share a price or some advice?

Thanks.

redLEAF said:
The EL series plates have actually passed the 3000 mark in IL (saw a Tesla with 32xx a few months back); if you look back through the early postings on this thread you'll see most of the earlier adopters received new EL plates in the high 200's and low 300's … most of the EV's registered prior to that point were EV conversions or a handful of Tesla roadsters. Perhaps you'll get 3456 … new EL plates were taking up to 60 days from the IL SOS office but perhaps that's improved.
Wow, OK then... I hadn't seen anything that seemed to indicate that IL had been dishing out plates in the 2xxx range much yet.
Whatever I end up with, I'll be happy to not pay $101/yr. ;)

lamar578 said:
Hey Chicagoland Leaf owners, possible member here. I've been looking at getting a 2015 SV, but the dealers have been really confusing me. Autobarn Nissan in Evanston has the car i want listed for 17 940, which is something like 17 grand off. I've been waiting to hear back from them but as of now I have no idea of what a reasonable price + TTL is. Anyone who purchased recently around here able to share a price or some advice?

Thanks.
That's for a new '15 SV? That seems awfully low... like, amazingly low. I bought a '12 SL used for $12500 just last month, and I see a '12 (SV?) for sale with similar mileage to mine and 12/12 capacity bars going for $11k on cars.com now... seems like LEAF prices just keep dropping...

lamar578 said:

Thanks.

If you went to the Autobarn, you went to the right place.

Did you talk with Martin? He's the Leaf "go to guy."

If not..see him and let him know that Tom sent you. (We are friends and work to promote the Leaf as the right choice for most people.)

Attachments

• images-23.jpeg
    images-23.jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 75
greengate said:
lamar578 said:

Thanks.

If not..see him and let him know that Tom sent you. (We are friends and work to promote the Leaf as the right choice for most people.)

I sent him an email and mentioned you. Hopefully we can get something worked out. Thanks for your help.

lamar578 said:
greengate said:
lamar578 said:

Thanks.

I sent him an email and mentioned you. Hopefully we can get something worked out. Thanks for your help.
Call him..Emails are not a very good way to connect..they get hundreds a day, so as I understand it, most go unread.

877-838-3140

Last night I received a letter from DCEO regarding the EVSE 50% rebate with paperwork to claim the rebate. It appears this program is back online. Hope others get their letter as well.

Phatcat73 said:
Last night I received a letter from DCEO regarding the EVSE 50% rebate with paperwork to claim the rebate. It appears this program is back online. Hope others get their letter as well.
Better be fast... according to https://www.illinois.gov/dceo/whyillinois/KeyIndustries/Energy/Pages/ev.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Applications for the Fall 2014 funding cycle will be accepted until 4:30pm on Thursday, April 16, 2015."

redLEAF said:
ishiyakazuo said:

FYI, I got my plate number, and it's less than 3000, and they just did the title and registration on Friday (24th). Are you sure that Tesla you saw wasn't 23xx?

ishiyakazuo said:
redLEAF said:
ishiyakazuo said:

FYI, I got my plate number, and it's less than 3000, and they just did the title and registration on Friday (24th). Are you sure that Tesla you saw wasn't 23xx?

Went back through my earlier post ... it was actually 34xx and I had someone else in the car when we saw it on a Tesla, too fast to take a photo but we both saw it; remember that IL car dealer's (although Tesla doesn't operate quite like a dealer) will keep unregistered plates on hand now so it can be rare to see those yellow temporary tags unless the owner has applied for a vanity or special series, etc. when buying a new car. This could possibly be why the Tesla had a higher series number ... don't know but just a guess as they would all qualify for one. I did a quick search but couldn't find the other 'plate number spotter' post from someone else who saw a Tesla with a 3xxx plate but it was downtown Chicago. I don't believe these 'EL' series plates can be 'reserved' (like a vanity plate, etc.) but that could be a possibility I suppose with the right amount of clout.

An interesting side note -- starting to see a number of i3 series BMW's but NONE had 'EL' plates; perhaps all with ReX (gas range extender) which would disallow the 100% EV status (Volt's can't get them either)

redLEAF said:
Went back through my earlier post ... it was actually 34xx and I had someone else in the car when we saw it on a Tesla, too fast to take a photo but we both saw it; remember that IL car dealer's (although Tesla doesn't operate quite like a dealer) will keep unregistered plates on hand now so it can be rare to see those yellow temporary tags unless the owner has applied for a vanity or special series, etc. when buying a new car. This could possibly be why the Tesla had a higher series number ... don't know but just a guess as they would all qualify for one. I did a quick search but couldn't find the other 'plate number spotter' post from someone else who saw a Tesla with a 3xxx plate but it was downtown Chicago. I don't believe these 'EL' series plates can be 'reserved' (like a vanity plate, etc.) but that could be a possibility I suppose with the right amount of clout.

An interesting side note -- starting to see a number of i3 series BMW's but NONE had 'EL' plates; perhaps all with ReX (gas range extender) which would disallow the 100% EV status (Volt's can't get them either)
Good point on the dealer directly putting plates on. Maybe EV-selling dealers have higher series numbers and the state kept some lower ones back for some reason. In any case, mine is 29xx, so it's still possible to get < 3000... but maybe not for long!

(EDIT: Got my physical plates today, and they are indeed the number that the Secretary of State's site said they'd be. Just took nearly a month to get here after they were assigned... pretty sure I could've walked to Springfield and back with them faster!)

I traded in my vanity plates and just got 3067EL in the mail today.
Had to get new tires around 39k. (lead foot)
Still have all capacity bars after 3.5 yrs and 42k miles. (hope I didn't jinx myself)

Back