Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdmondLeaf said:
sorry to hear that, so looks like only two 2011 that we know have all 12 CB

In Norway Leaf started sell in late 2011. Have not heard about any lost bars yet there at leaf forum site

http://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php?board=46.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gbshaun said:
Until I lost the 11th Bar last year I was doing everything I understood to maximize battery life: Charged to 80% unless I needed 100%, used the timers to charge at night, starting at 1am, and not charging just the final one or two bars. Given this didn't seem to help (and with the lower capacity) I've since been charging mostly to 100%.
Interesting, I think charging habits are the biggest difference - what do you do for charge timers now? Looking at the chart above, you lost your 12th bar within a couple weeks of when I did (Sept 2013 or after 25 months of ownership), but you lost your 11th bar around June 2014 (about 9 months) but it took me until November 2014 to lose mine (about 14 months). And you lost your 10th bar after about another 10 months (April 2015) and I have yet to lose my 10th, but at least if the distance between bars lost remains the same as losing my 11th bar, I won't lose it until the end of the year. I'm losing bars almost 50% slower than you since the 12th which is a huge difference.

I don't think that temperature is the main difference here since the time to 1st bar loss on both of our cars was basically the same - I think the change in charging habits after the 12th bar loss it the main difference. I have mostly continued to baby my battery (end-timer set to 80% and 5:40am which means it stops charging at 5:00am +- 10 minutes nearly all the time) and only charge to 100% when needed.

So it seems very unlikely that I'll lose 4 bars by the time 5 years rolls around - unless this summer is extremely hot - I am working close to I15 now which is much hotter than Encinitas - but at my current capacity loss rate of 4 Ah/year I'll still have around 46 Ah by next year - about 10% less capacity than today but about 10% more than what qualifies for battery capacity warranty.

mwalsh
the only focus now is making damn sure my pack reaches 8 bars before the end of this year. All else is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

I am still amazed at the wide variety of battery life expectancy as I was "doing everything right" and had it replaced at 43,000 miles in a mild climate. All of the discussions seem to focus on driving habits, charging habits, and climate (temperature) but this doesn't explain the wide range of capacity losses in relatively mild climactic zones here in southern California.

I believe that elevation changes have a lot more to do with battery derogation especially when combined with high temperatures.

I suggest loading your leaf up with sand bags and driving it up steep hills - preferably on hot days and using a fast charger to re-charge.

In this way your battery will have to work much harder while your mileage will not increase significantly.

I hope you have a new battery before year end.

electricfuture said:
... loading your leaf up with sand bags ...
I knew I was forgetting something :eek:
My 272# isn't enough load :lol:
Need twelve 100# sand bags :eek:
And lots of drives up and down the hill from the driveway at 1000 foot elevation to the bottom at about 750 :arrow:

electricfuture said:
I believe that elevation changes have a lot more to do with battery derogation especially when combined with high temperatures.
At least for the 2011/2012 packs, I think what does it is not primarily the high power levels themselves, but rather the resulting, additional battery heating. Long downhill runs with continuous regenerative braking also heat the battery significantly. This was my observation when I used our LEAF to commute down/up our mountain for almost 2 years, during which time our LEAF experienced the great majority of its observed capacity loss. (These days, our LEAF is used primarily for shorter drives, the most recent exception being a trip we took out to Joshua Tree National Park in February, and in our cool, shaded 6100' environment the capacity loss is pretty slow.)

2012 leaf in NY driven mostly in NYC, lost my first capacity bar at 29,000 miles this past weekend. Leasing it since 4/2012. Charged to 80% except on weekends. Leaf spy pro says 71hx and 82soh, 11 QC. I have not tested range recently but I did a 62 mile trip averaging 4.4 mi kWh on a full charge down to lbw 0 bars and -- showing on GOM 2 weeks before I lost that capacity bar.

Well, since (TTBOMK) NIkki hasn't posted it here for herself:

StaffCar Update: After 73,100 Miles, Our Nissan LEAF Loses its Second Capacity Bar

April 14, 2015 By Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield 7 Comments

Just over four years ago, a shiny red 2011 Nissan LEAF joined the Transport Evolved Staff car fleet as the Gordon-Bloomfield family’s daily driver. It quickly became known as Hiro...

the loss of Hiro’s first capacity bar at 52,800 miles...

Over the past winter however, we’ve certainly started to notice a drop in battery pack capacity and range in our aging plug-in and on Sunday, the inevitable happened: Hiro lost his second capacity bar. This indicates our main staff Nissan LEAF can now store less than 80 percent of the energy it could when new...

As for range anxiety? With more DC quick charging stations than ever before — at least twenty within easy reach of the Transport Evolved office and at least one DC quick charging station at every motorway service station on the M4 arterial motorway between Bristol and London, range anxiety is still a rarity...
https://transportevolved.com/2015/04/14/staffcar-update-after-73100-miles-our-nissan-leaf-loses-its-second-capacity-bar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nikki doesn't mention any efforts to measure actual capacity loss, other than from driving impressions, but I doubt the variation between gid-indicated and actual capacity loss would be great enough to be very noticeable in any cool-climate LEAF, anyway.

Still, with that many miles (and that kWh throughput) and frequent DC use, means the average battery temperature over the first four years might have been close to that of a LEAF that had been driven ~ half as many miles (and cycled ~ half the kWh) somewhere in the South of France (?) so if the pack still retains ~ 70% remaining capacity at > 100k miles (lets hope that the new owners keep up the reports) I think the owners should be satisfied.

drees said:
.....you lost your 12th bar within a couple weeks of when I did (.. after 25 months of ownership), but you lost your 11th bar around June 2014 (about 9 months) but it took me until November 2014 to lose mine (about 14 months).
I continued to do everything I knew (80%, not leaving fully charged, no quick charges etc) between my loss of the 12th and 11th bars, so I don't think our habits made the difference.
Indeed only AFTER losing the 11th bar did i start to not focus on those things so much.
Only since then have I HAD to charge to 100% more often simply because of the reduced capacity. However my degradation rate doesn't seem to be worse since then c/w before.
Curious what changed. I'm going with a hot summer.

Shaun

FWIW In another thread, Opencar and I found we'd been mapping each other to a remarkable degree.

Opencar. Received 6/11 San Diego Coastal
1st bar lost at 27 months, 22K miles, Ahr=55.29,
2nd bar lost at 37 months 33K miles, , Ahr=51.54,
3rd bar lost at 46 months, 41K miles mo, Ahr=47.47

GBShaun. Received 6/11 San Diego Coastal
Lost 1st bar at 26 months, 17k miles Ahr=55.50
Lost 2nd bar at 36 months, 25k miles Ahr=51.62
Lost 3rd bar at 45 months, 33k miles Ahr= 47.36

I wish we could rename this thread "2011-2012 Early Capacity Losses" as it gives the impression this rate of degradation occurs with all Leafs, when the 2013+ seem to hold up much better. Has there been any confirmed cases of 2013+ cars that have lost a capacity bar?

asimba2 said:
I wish we could rename this thread "2011-2012 Early Capacity Losses" as it gives the impression this rate of degradation occurs with all Leafs, when the 2013+ seem to hold up much better. Has there been any confirmed cases of 2013+ cars that have lost a capacity bar?

yes and it was over a year ago!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a 2013 Leaf SV. Delivered 6/18/13. In late March of this year (2014), I noticed I have already lost one capacity bar at about 4000 total miles, approximately 200 hours of total operating time, only about 9 months old.
I am using the 120V Level 1 charger than came with the car; only charge to 80%. The Leaf is kept in the garage when not in operation. I live in the North Texas area.

Leaf Number: 411131
Garaged Location: Plano, Texas
Purchased New/Dealer - Courtesy Nissan
Ordered May 2, 2013
Production Month May 2013
Delivered/picked up: June 18, 2013
Mileage on delivery: 9
When lost 1st battery capacity bar:
approx 4000 miles
approx 200 operating hours

If he/she is still driving that Leaf I'd expect them to lose the 2nd bar any day now.

I'm sure if we had a 1 bar loser in 2014 we will have tons of 2013s losing bars this summer in 2015.

We might be able to restrict the title to "2011, 2012, 2013 only" given enough data but that will have to wait until we get our first 1 bar loser made in 2014 or a considerable wait until summer or fall of 2016 to be sure the 2014 Leafs are more heat resistant.

btw what part of that Leaf number do we put in the battery loss wiki? Last 5 digits? Is there a typo in that leaf number?

dhanson865 said:
I'm sure if we had a 1 bar loser in 2014 we will have tons of 2013s losing bars this summer in 2015.

Agreed: it took me almost 2 years to drop my first bar, and I live in Plano just like the above poster. Then things pick-up considerably due to the non-linear value of each capacity bar.

asimba2 said:
it gives the impression this rate of degradation occurs with all Leafs, when the 2013+ seem to hold up much better

I don't think enough time has gone by or enough data has been collected yet to be able to say "much better". Personally, I think its just wishful thinking, and only the Leafs with the 2015 Lizard battery are going to see a marked improvement. It took me almost 2 years (and 2 summers) of south Florida heat before I lost my first bar. If the 2013/2014 packs did get a slight tweak in chemistry, it may actually be unfortunate, as then it is even more unlikely that you will lose 4 bars by 5 years/60,000 miles. :?

gbshaun said:
drees said:
.....you lost your 12th bar within a couple weeks of when I did (.. after 25 months of ownership), but you lost your 11th bar around June 2014 (about 9 months) but it took me until November 2014 to lose mine (about 14 months).
I continued to do everything I knew (80%, not leaving fully charged, no quick charges etc) between my loss of the 12th and 11th bars, so I don't think our habits made the difference.
Indeed only AFTER losing the 11th bar did i start to not focus on those things so much. Because of the reduced capacity I've now HAD to charge to 100% more often. My degradation rate doesn't seem to be any worse.
Thanks for the clarification.

gbshaun said:
Curious what changed. I'm going with a hot summer.
But you experienced the same hot summer I did - I'm going with more freeway driving - nearly all my driving is surface or back roads at 40-55 mph - not much freeway driving, though lots of small elevation changes.

gbshaun said:
FWIW In another thread, Opencar and I found we'd been mapping each other to a remarkable degree.

Opencar. Received 6/11 San Diego Coastal
1st bar lost at 27 months, 22K miles, Ahr=55.29
2nd bar lost at 37 months 33K miles, Ahr=51.54
3rd bar lost at 46 months, 41K miles, Ahr=47.47

GBShaun. Received 6/11 San Diego Coastal
1st bar lost at 26 months, 17k miles Ahr=55.50
2nd bar lost at 36 months, 25k miles Ahr=51.62
3rd bar lost at 45 months, 33k miles Ahr= 47.36
My data. Received 6/11 San Diego Coastal:

1st bar lost at 27 months, 22k miles, Ahr=55.25
2nd bar lost at 41 months, 34k miles, Ahr=51.56
Still have my 3rd bar at 46 months, 38k miles, Ahr=50.27

Both of you lost your 2nd bar in between Sept -> June, hardly a hot time of year for San Diego. Both of you are losing about 0.4 Ah / month consistently from the start assuming that you started with ~66 Ah. But since my first bar I'm losing under 0.3 Ah / month. Now I am working in east county where it's hotter now, but I doubt that I'll catch up. I'm still only charging to 100% about 3 days/week on a 5 am end timer.

Joining the club. Lost my first bar today at 39055 miles. Bought the car in early December 2011. Always garaged, babied to no end, no quick charging, charged to 80% only. I kept a list of the number of times I had charged to 100%, but gave that up after two years or so. Probably no more than ~30 charges to 100% total. Living in Chicago.

keydiver said:
I don't think enough time has gone by or enough data has been collected yet to be able to say "much better". Personally, I think its just wishful thinking, and only the Leafs with the 2015 Lizard battery are going to see a marked improvement.

I would disagree based on the Leafspy results that are posted here. The 2013+ seem to be holding up much better after two years than the early models.

Agreed. There were no chemistry or battery changes in the 2013 that would led to it being any better than a 2011 or 2012...

keydiver said:
I don't think enough time has gone by or enough data has been collected yet to be able to say "much better". Personally, I think its just wishful thinking, and only the Leafs with the 2015 Lizard battery are going to see a marked improvement.

TomT said:
Agreed. There were no chemistry or battery changes in the 2013 that would led to it being any better than a 2011 or 2012...

keydiver said:

TomT, could you cite your source. AFAIK there have been no formal releases from Nissan that say either way but the internal murmurs seem to be that there were modifications which are believed to be improvements.

QueenBee said:
AFAIK there have been no formal releases from Nissan that say either way but the internal murmurs seem to be that there were modifications which are believed to be improvements.
From here:
RegGuheert said:
Some notes on the 2013 battery:

- The module case was modifiied to reduce weight and materials used. They claimed a 30 kg weight reduction for the LEAF battery just from that change.
- The changes to the 2013 battery module chemistry were mainly intended to reduce cost. (There has been some mention of improvements in thermal capabilities, but the battery experts did not confirm that. They indicated there may be small changes in battery characteristics, but weight and cost were the two major changes.)
- The 2013 battery modules are compatible with the 2012/2012 LEAFs.
That said, I don't believe battery changes always occur at changes in the model year. In other words, I don't think we can say that all MY2013 LEAFs use the same battery chemistry.

Back