Plug-in Vehicles Registered in New York State

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

like2bike

I have compiled a table of the registered plug-in electrics in NYS. I used the following DMV searchable database: https://data.ny.gov/Transportation/Vehicle-Snowmobile-and-Boat-Registrations/w4pv-hbkt. This database doesn't list vehicles by model. So I used make, fuel and weight to find the prefix of the VIN for each model. The counts are of the VINs listed. The VIN prefixes are in the table for 2 reasons: They can be reused to do other searches; And please let me know if I have any errors in these VIN/Model pairs. http://like2bike.myevblog.com/files/2014/09/nys_plug_in_list.pdf

Notes for using database:
  • 1. Hybrids and Plug-in Hybrids are usually listed as FUEL=GAS, but sometimes listed as ELECTRIC
    2. A few MODEL=GEM, FUEL=ELECTRIC entries are listed as CLASS=PAS, while most are CLASS=LUA (Limited Use Auto). I assumed they were all low speed EVs.
    3. There are 3 entries MAKE=DETRO, FUEL=ELECTRIC. All have antique model years (1914, 1918, 1923). Two are CLASS=HIS and one is CLASS=PAS. I listed all three as Detroit Electric antique EVs.

This very much jives with what I see on a regular basis. Not a day goes by that I don't see multiple PiPs and Volts, but seeing another Leaf on the road is still exciting to me. Any chance you could add columns for Nassau, Westchester, and the City?

I found that I had been undercounting the plug-ins in the NYS database. Most of the counts in my table have been revised upward. Unfortunately, the database is still from Feb. 2014. Here is the new table: NYS Plug-in Vehicles Feb 2014

Notes for using database (updated):
  • 1. Hybrids and Plug-in Hybrids are usually listed as FUEL=GAS, but sometimes listed as ELECTRIC. BEVs are sometimes erroneously listed as GAS.
    2. A few MODEL=GEM, FUEL=ELECTRIC entries are listed as CLASS=PAS, while most are CLASS=LUA (Limited Use Auto). I assumed they were all low speed EVs.
    3. There are 3 entries MAKE=DETRO, FUEL=ELECTRIC. All have antique model years (1914, 1918, 1923). Two are CLASS=HIS and one is CLASS=PAS. I listed all three as Detroit Electric antique EVs.
    4. Always use the "Contains" qualifier with all Filter Record Types. For some reason, the "Is" and "Starts with" qualifiers do not find all the qualifying vehicles".

The State has released a nice map for this data: http://www.nyserda.ny.gov/Cleantech-and-Innovation/Electric-Vehicles/Tools/Electric-Vehicle-Registration-Map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can drill down to the ZIP code level and see how many of each vehicle type.

NYLEAF said:
The State has released a nice map for this data: http://www.nyserda.ny.gov/Cleantech-and-Innovation/Electric-Vehicles/Tools/Electric-Vehicle-Registration-Map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can drill down to the ZIP code level and see how many of each vehicle type.

Very cool map. But I'm wondering how accurate it is and what the refresh cycle is? My town in Rensselaer County shows no electric vehicles, and aside from last October when we wrecked a Leaf and replaced it about 3 weeks later, we've had a Leaf since last April.

Type the ZIP Code into the box at the top-right corner.

My ZIP code in Nassau County has just 3 EVs registered, which I know is too low. The data must be out of date, but I can't find the date anywhere.

Thanks. It shows 3 vehicles registered in my township, two of which are from this household. There is another PIP two blocks away (with no EVSE ever in sight), so that is probably the third. On an amusing note, Cohoes NY shows 5 vehicles, which may come as a surprise to those in Madison Wisconsin, as Cohoes and Madison are running neck and neck for first place in registration for the Drive Electric Day event, or whatever it's called this year. Our club's event is actually in Latham, on the Cohoes border. I wonder if Latham has any EVs either... EDIT: yes, 12 EVs showing for Latham. I'll bet almost all of Madison's EVs are actually IN Madison, too...

Back