SOC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnover

The Simple Summary ios version screen states that the SOC adjusts for current battery capacity. Right now I am at 231 GIDs (82.2%) and at a full L2 charge I see a 92.6% SOC. (I bumped this up from 91% +- by unplugging then plugging again - starting a short session). I have 17.9 kWh remaining.

I would think from your Simple Summary, the SOC would be 100%. My Leaf Link app shows SOC state "12 bars" although I recently lost 1 bar of capacity. If the SOC reading is accurate shouldn't it read 100% to reflect that all the available (current) capacity is being used?

Thanks for the IOS app.

Turnover said:
The Simple Summary ios version screen states that the SOC adjusts for current battery capacity. Right now I am at 231 GIDs (82.2%) and at a full L2 charge I see a 92.6% SOC. (I bumped this up from 91% +- by unplugging then plugging again - starting a short session). I have 17.9 kWh remaining.

I would think from your Simple Summary, the SOC would be 100%. My Leaf Link app shows SOC state "12 bars" although I recently lost 1 bar of capacity. If the SOC reading is accurate shouldn't it read 100% to reflect that all the available (current) capacity is being used?

Thanks for the IOS app.

You haven't made it clear which app you are using but the apps are just displaying one of the SOC values th car uses. The one being displayed is not taking into consideration that the we aren't able to use 100% of the battery. That value isn't as useful as a value that goes from 0 to 100% like newer LEAFs display. I imagine that the older LEAFs don't even calculate this value and on the newer LEAF there probably isn't much value in adding this value since it is displayed on the dash.

Turnover said:

Thanks for the IOS app.
All versions including the one you are using (LeafSpy Pro for iOS) display the SOC value as reported by the Leaf's BMS computer. LeafSpy only reports what it reads and does no calculations to generate the number..

Typically this value shows 80% after charging to 80% and 95% when fully charged.

This value may or may not be the same as reported on the dash of newer Leafs. I would be interested in hearing from people with newer Leafs as to how well it matches the dash value from full charge down to the minimum charge they get to.

Thanks.

I got a different impression from the wording of the SOC discussion under Simple Summary. It sounded like the SOC readout followed the battery energy potential (capacity) as it as it declined over time.

Turnover said:
Thanks.

I got a different impression from the wording of the SOC discussion under Simple Summary. It sounded like the SOC readout followed the battery energy potential (capacity) as it as it declined over time.
Here is what the Help file says:
Code:
SOC = State of Charge: This is read directly from the Leaf and is based on the current capacity of the Leaf battery. That means if you charge your Leaf to 80% then SOC will always equal 80% at the end of the charge even after 8 years when the battery capacity has dropped to say half its original capacity. It is not an indication of the energy contained in the battery.
I am not sure if your statement "readout followed the battery energy potential (capacity) as it declined over Time" means the same thing as what I wrote in the Help file.

Another way to look at the Leaf SOC is to think of the battery as a gas tank. Say new the tank holds 10 gallons and we fill to 80% so it now has 8 gallons. Ten years later the tank (battery) has degraded and now can hold only 5 gallons. Now when you fill to 80% it only holds 4 gallons. SOC in both cases is 80% but the amount of gas held is only half as much since the tank has shrunk over time.

Over the long term SOC can not be used to indicate how much energy is available from the battery. It only indicates how full it is relative to its current capacity which decreases over time.

Turbo3 said:
Turnover said:

Thanks for the IOS app.
All versions including the one you are using (LeafSpy Pro for iOS) display the SOC value as reported by the Leaf's BMS computer. LeafSpy only reports what it reads and does no calculations to generate the number..

Typically this value shows 80% after charging to 80% and 95% when fully charged.

This value may or may not be the same as reported on the dash of newer Leafs. I would be interested in hearing from people with newer Leafs as to how well it matches the dash value from full charge down to the minimum charge they get to.

I find the dash value closely tracks the GID %, not the SOC.

Back