iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
miscrms said:
Is the functionality of the iOS and android versions pretty much equivalent at this point? I've got a salvage Leaf arriving in a week or so, hoping to be able to assess the battery condition and reset DTCs if needed. I can pick up an android something or other if I have to, but very happy to see there is an iOS version now!

Thanks,
Rob
Yes, the iOS version has the same Service functions as the Android version (read/clear DTCs).

If you are going to use only the battery pack from the salvaged Leaf you need to wire the EV-CAN that comes out of the BMS module to the CAR-CAN pins of an OBDII connector plus power and ground so you can use a standard OBDII WiFi adapter to link to the iOS version of LeafSpy Pro. You will also need to go to the Model Year selection and pick "BMS".

If you are leaving the Battery pack in the salvage Leaf and the salvage Leaf still powers up you don't need to do that. You still need a WiFi OBDII adapter not a Bluetooth adapter.

Awesome, thanks Turbo3! Look forward to trying it out!

To start with I will be trying to get the system to run normally in the Leaf, then I'll be moving the whole drive system into another vehicle. So generally I'll be communicating with it in the normal way, but its awesome that you've integrated some EV-CAN capability.

I don't know that it would be of interest to others, but it would be great if there was a screen available that could serve as a full dash replacement on a tablet ;)

Thanks again,
Rob

BTW, just ordered one of these adapters from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/ieGeek-C2-AE-Wireless-Scanner-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B00B3K2X4M/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully will do the trick ;) Will let everyone know.

There is at least one review on there from a guy with a Leaf successfully using LeafStat.

Rob

ieGeek wifi adapter from Amazon linked above worked just fine. Was able to read status, read DTCs, and clear DTCs with no issues. Great App, thanks!

Rob

miscrms said:
ieGeek wifi adapter from Amazon linked above worked just fine. ...

Rob
Amazingly good price for a WiFi adapter at $16.99 with Amazon Prime delivery.
When did they get that cheap?
WiFi adapters used to be over $100 :?:

LeafSpy Pro Version 1.0.12 expired today. I dropped back to 1.0.10.

While using 1.0.12, I noticed high battery consumption due to background processing.
One day, my battery usage report showed 78% for LeafSpy.
Also, when the mode is 'offline', reconnecting to WiFi is problematic. I needed to leave
the app (sometimes killing it) and re-enter to get WiFi to connect.

iPhone 6+, iOS 8.3

Thanks,
Randy

rreitz said:
LeafSpy Pro Version 1.0.12 expired today. I dropped back to 1.0.10.

While using 1.0.12, I noticed high battery consumption due to background processing.
One day, my battery usage report showed 78% for LeafSpy.
Also, when the mode is 'offline', reconnecting to WiFi is problematic. I needed to leave
the app (sometimes killing it) and re-enter to get WiFi to connect.

iPhone 6+, iOS 8.3

Thanks,
Randy
I would expect battery usage to be high if you enabled background processing (by enabling Always keep GPS Active) so one option is have it plugged into the charger while in the Leaf.

An option I could add is to only allow running in the background when WiFi is connected to the Leaf. That would save power when you exit the Leaf but would not allow automatic re-connection when you got back to the Leaf. After re-connection to the Leaf WiFi you would need to restart Leaf Spy to wake it up.

To your other question about reconnecting:

If the WiFi is not connected to the Leaf OBDII WiFi adapter LeafSpy has no way to connect and just waits. Go to LeafSpy Settings and see what network is currently active. If it is not the OBDII WiFi that is why it is not connecting. It sometimes takes a while for iOS to reconnect to the Leaf WiFi when yo get back in the Leaf. If you have a strong home WiFi it may never automatically connect to the Leaf and you need to do it manually. LeafSpy has no ability to force a WiFi connection. Apple does not allow apps to do that.

LeafSpy pro just started crashing a couple days ago. It launches slow. Then appears full screen for a second. Then crashes. Repeats same every time

IPhone 5s with iOS 8.1.2

BooKittyLeaf said:
LeafSpy pro just started crashing a couple days ago. It launches slow. Then appears full screen for a second. Then crashes. Repeats same every time

IPhone 5s with iOS 8.1.2
Is the problem with version 1.0.11 or 1.0.12?

If you started to have trouble with the beta version 1.0.12 a couple of days ago it is most likely due to the test expiring on April 30.

You should be getting a message from Testflight that that version has expired.

Turbo3 said:
Is the problem with version 1.0.11 or 1.0.12?

If you started to have trouble with the beta version 1.0.12 a couple of days ago it is most likely due to the test expiring on April 30.

You should be getting a message from Testflight that that version has expired.
Yes, version 1.0.12.

Last readings I took was on 4,27,15. Tried it on Thurs 5,1,15 and crashed. Crashing since. That seems like this fits the time period you referenced to it expiring. I did not get a text from test-flight about it expiring. I was getting emails about updates from test flight, but nothing about it expiring.

Going back to the emails, I opened the latest update (1.0.12) to possibly reinstall and it said it had expired.

Is the testing over and time to buy it on itunes?

Im hoping thats the issue - and not something with my phone. When I buy it from iTunes it should work again? iPhone 5s ios 8.1.2

I'm a soon to be leaf owner. Do people keep leafspy running all the time as a more accurate estimate/display of remaining miles? If so, would it be a problem to use this iphone app but at the same time be streaming music over LTE to bluetooth? How about if using the iphone as navigation at the same time?

What I am trying to determine if there are iphone connectivity limitations that would make it better to simply get a cheap old android phone dedicated for leafspy.

BooKittyLeaf said:
BooKittyLeaf said:
. When I buy it from iTunes it should work again? iPhone 5s ios 8.1.2
Sorry - Apps Store :roll:
Yes, once you buy a copy from the App Store it will automatically switch back to the released version when the beta test period (30 days) runs out.

Since I have not released the beta code to iTunes you will be back at 1.0.12 not the beta 1.0.13.

I will probably release another beta 1.0.14 this week. One big improvement is this version will not drain your battery if you enable background running. Whenever you are not connected to the Leaf OBDII WiFi adapter LeafSpy will go back to sleep instead of being alive and trying to link to the Leaf which is what was draining the battery.

gor29 said:
I'm a soon to be leaf owner. Do people keep leafspy running all the time as a more accurate estimate/display of remaining miles? If so, would it be a problem to use this iphone app but at the same time be streaming music over LTE to bluetooth? How about if using the iphone as navigation at the same time?

What I am trying to determine if there are iphone connectivity limitations that would make it better to simply get a cheap old android phone dedicated for leafspy.
The version of LeafSpy available from the App store 1.0.12 allows playing music while LeafSpy is running. But switching to a navigation or other app will suspend LeafSpy.

The next version of LeafSpy can be enabled to run in the background so you can use a navigation app or another app at the same time.

gor29 said:

I own the iPhone version, but use the Android version. I have LeafSpy running all the time when the car is on and I think most people do.

I'm no expert, but I believe that if you set the iPhone so that the Wifi is set to a static address/subnet mask to talk the the wifi OBD2 wifi adapter but you leave the Router and DNS fields blank, for all other internet activity (e.g. Pandora music streaming) the phone will use its data plan (LTE) for those. I did not want my regular phone tied up doing all that. If you have an old iPhone that you don't use any more, use that (must run 7.1 so an iPhone 4 or later). But a non-contract Android phone is cheap as are Bluetooth OBD2 adapters so its what I recommend doing, but "people differ" so...

I have trouble deleting my DTC`s. While deleting the DTC the scrolling meny will show groups with error with black text. I have the C1A66 0109 BRAKE Master Pressure Sensor BR-89 error showing and will not disappear if I try to delete it. That seems to stop the ability to delete errors further down the list. I disconnected the IBU and made several EV/HEV errors. When I then choose EV/HEV in the clear menu, the Leaf Spy is telling me it is deleting the BRAKE CTD`s. This is also the same for a MULTI AV- USB overcurrent error. I choose MULTI -AV and the Leaf Spy is trying to delete BRAKE! Could this be an error in the App or is my car acting up on me??

ElectraBlue said:
I have trouble deleting my DTC`s. While deleting the DTC the scrolling meny will show groups with error with black text. I have the C1A66 0109 BRAKE Master Pressure Sensor BR-89 error showing and will not disappear if I try to delete it. That seems to stop the ability to delete errors further down the list. I disconnected the IBU and made several EV/HEV errors. When I then choose EV/HEV in the clear menu, the Leaf Spy is telling me it is deleting the BRAKE CTD`s. This is also the same for a MULTI AV- USB overcurrent error. I choose MULTI -AV and the Leaf Spy is trying to delete BRAKE! Could this be an error in the App or is my car acting up on me??
For testing I hardcoded your Brake error. Note on the DTC list there is a ">" in front of the Brake DTC this means the condition causing the error has not been cleared. Since the condition causing the error is still there it will always come back after you try to clear it. You need to fix the problem before the DTC can be cleared.

Here are screen shots of clearing the TPMS error in the BCM ECU and the Battery current/temperature errors in the EV/HEV ECU.

Perhaps you are not doing the Long Tap to actually select the ECU you wish to clear DTCs.

If you still have a problem please post a screen shot showing the Brake ECU being selected and then the warning message showing a different ECU selected for reset.

0epidi.png

oo1DAM.png
kJ06eN.png
Mls4VS.png

l4KbcD.png
ujTIxU.png

jCOc5V.png
m4vWhJ.png

PA04DC.png
RpnQVZ.png

nPQnNg.png

Hi,

I got LeafSpy Pro version 1.0.10 from the itunes app store and am having trouble connecting to the LEAF. The status stays in Yellow -- Retry 10 -- Wait 14 -- OK -- No DATA. That's pretty much the output on the debug Console as well. But it does not progress from there.

I'm using the following LYL WIFI OBD2 scan tool
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R59EMJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw that Turbo3 had recommended this in some earlier thread on this forum.

Is there something else that I can try to figure out what the problem is?

Thanks.

sakumar said:
Hi,

I got LeafSpy Pro version 1.0.10 from the itunes app store and am having trouble connecting to the LEAF. The status stays in Yellow -- Retry 10 -- Wait 14 -- OK -- No DATA. That's pretty much the output on the debug Console as well. But it does not progress from there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R59EMJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.
That status means the app is communicating with the WiFi adapter but the Leaf is not responding.

Is the Leaf turned on? If it is then make sure the WiFi adapter is fully plugged into the OBDII socket so that all pins are fully connected.

Turbo3 said:
sakumar said:
Hi,

Thanks.
That status means the app is communicating with the WiFi adapter but the Leaf is not responding.

Is the Leaf turned on? If it is then make sure the WiFi adapter is fully plugged into the OBDII socket so that all pins are fully connected.

That was the problem. The LEAF wasn't on. The instructions said (in iOS Device Setup) "The Leaf does not need to be on" but that is just for setting up the wi-fi. I missed the fact that it has to be on for the actual measurements.

Anyway, it's all working now. Thanks for your help.

Back