Ford Focus EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In late 2011, customers in the following market will be eligible to purchase Ford's first electric vehicle: Atlanta; Austin, Texas; Houston; Boston; Chicago; Denver; Detroit; Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego; New York, Orlando, Fla.; Phoenix; Tucson, Ariz.; Portland, Ore.; Raleigh Durham, N.C.; Richmond, Va.; Seattle; and Washington, D.C.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-ford-cities-focus-electric.html

Now with the delay of Tier 2 of LEAF orders to "late summer 2011", that puts the Focus EV in direct competition with the LEAF next year in at least 5 markets.

According to AutoWeek mag - Focus is set to be launched in Apr '11. Don't see that happening with not even a price announcement at this time ...

rsmith1 said:
Now with the delay of Tier 2 of LEAF orders to "late summer 2011", that puts the Focus EV in direct competition with the LEAF next year in at least 5 markets.

I read one article just a week ago or so that surprised me when they said the Focus EV was going to cost around 40K! That definitely will not hurt the LEAF if they keep the price there.

akohekohe said:
In late 2011, customers in the following market will be eligible to purchase Ford's first electric vehicle: Atlanta; Austin, Texas; Houston; Boston; Chicago; Denver; Detroit; Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego; New York, Orlando, Fla.; Phoenix; Tucson, Ariz.; Portland, Ore.; Raleigh Durham, N.C.; Richmond, Va.; Seattle; and Washington, D.C.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-ford-cities-focus-electric.html

This is more in the realm of possibility for me. I have two brothers in DC, so I could probably figure out a way to wedge in there. In any event, it certainly looks like an alternative to consider.

hodad66 said:
Since I was going to lease the Leaf a $350 lease on the Focus
would be fine too......

Yeah, that was interesting. I spotted that yesterday on the Ford site. I still have some more digging to do. Thanks for reminding me!

johnr said:
Apparently there's a new forum now for the Ford Focus EV, started by our very own wxxyz ;)

Nice catch, Johnr. Just hope no-one tries that with my domain or finds out my real name is Elon.

Disclaimer: part of that previous statement is not true.

mwalsh said:
I'm a huge Ford fan....I have two Focii right now, and they've been cracking little cars (though I did research carefully and both have the more resilient Duratec engines). If Ford had been less wishy-washy about their commitment to the Focus EV (or even the Transit Connect EV, which I very much doubt will have any deliveries this year either), they could well have gotten my money!
Deliveries of Transit Connect EV to fleet customers already have occurred, according to reports.

evnow said:
According to AutoWeek mag - Focus is set to be launched in Apr '11. Don't see that happening with not even a price announcement at this time ...

Which issue of AutoWeek?

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101214/GREEN/101219970

12/14/10

After a 13-month, $550 million conversion from making large SUVs, the suburban Detroit plant has started producing a conventional gasoline-powered new-generation Ford Focus that will go on sale in early 2011. Three electric versions of the Focus will follow: a battery electric model in late 2011 and hybrid and plug-in hybrids in late 2012.

Train said:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101214/GREEN/101219970

12/14/10

After a 13-month, $550 million conversion from making large SUVs, the suburban Detroit plant has started producing a conventional gasoline-powered new-generation Ford Focus that will go on sale in early 2011. Three electric versions of the Focus will follow: a battery electric model in late 2011 and hybrid and plug-in hybrids in late 2012.

That debut may hit Pennsylvania or points close before the LEAF does. In which case, I will definitely be open to ordering it first.

sjfotos said:
That debut may hit Pennsylvania or points close before the LEAF does. In which case, I will definitely be open to ordering it first.

+1 -- I'm even skeptical of delivers in Virginia, an Eye-Poked 8 State.

evnow said:
xRB said:
I wonder what "late 2011" means to Ford. Any guesses?
December 15.

With 2 weeks to spare - as someone wrote about the Volt.

That sounds about right to me. Realistically it's early 2012, and probably just a few cars even then. Following the spirit of the Autoweek article, it seems like the electric ones are going to be just a few scattered along the line, occasional insertions between the ICE cars.

Ford seems to be pretty active on their facebook page in answering at least some questions. I am in Minnesota and asked if I could buy a car from Chicago when they come out (Chicago is one of the initial locations for roll-out). They responded that I could. Therefore I am likely looking at the possibility that both the Focus EV and the Leaf will be available to me at or around the same time. I am open to either car but obviously need to more about the Focus...especially the price.

Wondering if anyone knows if both cars would use the same charging system? Or is this something we just do not know at this point? I would rather not wait to pick the car before I get my garage ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back