How hard is it to move roof vents?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkulak

I just bought a house (woo!), and I specifically looked for a south-facing roof, but the south side is where every single vent is installed. No idea why they did that. The roof has 5-10 more years on it, so I'll probably wait a bit, replace the roof, then add panels, but how hard is it to move all those vents (there's like 8) to the other side? As it is, I think you could only fit maybe 2 panels on the whole roof.

pkulak said:
I just bought a house (woo!), and I specifically looked for a south-facing roof, but the south side is where every single vent is installed. No idea why they did that. The roof has 5-10 more years on it, so I'll probably wait a bit, replace the roof, then add panels, but how hard is it to move all those vents (there's like 8) to the other side? As it is, I think you could only fit maybe 2 panels on the whole roof.

Congrats, specifically what kind of vents are you talking about?

Here's the Google Earth view of the roof:

http://i.imgur.com/Ttm2lRt.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's 5 exhaust vents along the top there, plus some more exhaust vents below those and, I think, two or three sewer vents below those (that are tiny and black, so you can't see them on this photo).

The best venting for a roof is a ridge vent, all the way across the top (as long as you have soffit vents letting air in at the bottom edge of the roof line). The ridge vent installed properly will not even be seen. Will just look like a thick top ridge shingle. that way you'll get total air flow from top to bottom. I never install asphalt shingles on a new roof, only Aluminum Shingles or sheet metal. Keep the heat out and they last as long as the house will, keep the attic cooler helps to keep the house cooler too (in the summer). A bit slippy to walk on, but who does that on a regular basis?

Oh, okay, so all those vents along the top of the roofline are just for attic ventilation? That makes sense, and then they would all go away if I have ridge venting set up when the roof is re-done.

pkulak said:
Oh, okay, so all those vents along the top of the roofline are just for attic ventilation? That makes sense, and then they would all go away if I have ridge venting set up when the roof is re-done.
Yes, get back that valuable solar real estate and those panels will reduce heat gain in to the house too.. double the benefit, less heat getting to the roof surface in the first place and lots of power to balance charging your cars and running the house.

Ridge vents are great but in my application not possible. My builder used very low profile vents that easily fit under the solar panel to vent the attic space. The other thing to consider is the solar panel shade the roof underneath. So depending on much of your roof is covered by solar panel your attic cooling requirements will be decreased. This really helps with A/C costs. You might also want to consider a whole house fan to cool the attic and to draw cooler outside air into your home in the evening.

Good luck, someday south facing lots may add value, just as view lots do today.

Agree with the above post. A friend suggested the O'Hagin vents which are well made, have large ventilation space and are very low profile. My panels are mounted about six inches above the roof but with those vents they could be lower.

The O'Hagin vents were easy to swap with the existing two foot wide, half round vents. No problem for anyone with roofing knowledge.

The fire marshal required a 3' path at the top of the roof. That is where the vents were, so I did not have to move them.

There is some debate about putting panels over the plumbing vents but the panel manufacturers aren't concerned so I don't think there is any reason to worry. Roofer will handle patching up the holes form the old attic vents when they install the ridge vent. Pretty standard thing for them to do. That's what I had them to on my house.

Back