Register Tire Positions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
userneym said:
Turbo3 said:
I have added letters A B C D to show how the remapping affects the location. The letters are in clockwise order starting with the front left tire per how the Leaf orders the tire locations....

Excellent idea, nice graphics, I like it! I hope you upgrade the android too.
Yes, the changes should be integrated into the Android version later today.

What I have provided is not a tire rotation function just a way to reorder the position of the tire pressure readings on the screen.

What I am thinking of adding are three buttons to do a virtual tire rotation.

1. Reset to registered position
2. Nissan recommended front back swap
3. Straight back to front and swap rear

This would be most useful for option 3 as the app would do the complicated reordering.

garsh said:
The problem with the "tire letter" method is that it requires the user to remember the original position.
Instead of doing that, can you show four tires (really, just black rectangles), and then add arrows showing how each one moves when the different selections are made?
What you are suggesting is what I was initially thinking.
But I think what Jim has proposed is the best that can be done.
Any swapping is based on the last registered A, B, C, D positions.

If you are rotating like Nissan recommends it is simple.

If you are choosing to do cross back / forward, just going to have to keep up with the tire locations.

But still a big improvement over going through the tedious tire registration process each time you rotate the tires.

Does remind me that since my tires are worn out that I need the installer to get the rims back into their current location.

Turbo3 said:
Here it is with arrows. Keep in mind you still need to keep track of where the tires where originally registered to know how to do the selection of swapping so the letters are still required to be displayed.
Yep. But it's one less thing to remember.
I like it! Looking forward to the update. :)

Here is my ultimate solution to tire rotation without re-registering the tires.

Step 1 is to change the display location to match the current tire positions. If the tires have never been rotated or are in their original registered positions then all three switches would be off. If not then update the swap switches to make any necessary corrections. Once you have this set you no longer need to manually make these changes when you rotate your tires.

Step 2 is done after the tires have been rotate. The two rotation methods supported are swap front/rear and the more complicated cross back straight forward. You press one of these two buttons to update the display location anytime you rotate the tires.

You do step 1 once to get the display synchronized with the tire locations and then repeat Step 2 each time the tires are rotated.

Below is an example of using the cross back straight forward method. After four rotations the tires are back in their original positions again.

Qh0fDg.png
DLQ1AK.png

FFFAnH.png
hWmyCM.png

I'm now realizing that the arrows aren't quite intuitive, since they mean different things based on which arrows you follow first.
Can you show diagonal arrows instead when a pair of options are set?
tire-rotation-diagram.jpg

garsh said:
I'm now realizing that the arrows aren't quite intuitive, since they mean different things based on which arrows you follow first.
Can you show diagonal arrows instead when a pair of options are set?
tire-rotation-diagram.jpg
The arrows on the tire settings panel do not refer to the tire rotation operation. The arrows indicate how the tires have been moved from their registered positions with the front/back swap always done first if selected. You use the three swap options to make any necessary adjustment so the tire pressures are correctly located on screen 4. Once you have the tires correctly remapped you can then use the rotation buttons to automatically do a virtual registration and do the correct remap based on the rotation type you have selected.

Carefully look at how the tire locations (ABCD) change in the above example of a straight forward and swap back rotation as it cycles through the four combinations. If you had to do the manually remap after each rotation if would get very complicated even more so if the tires were not in their registered position to start with. I will post an android example of just that situation.

I have switched to images for the rotation options and added another option. Here is what the Android version look like.

After you rotate your tires you tap the appropriate image to do a virtual tire registration and adjust the TPMS locations within the app.

lgRwKM.png

Turbo3 said:
I have switched to images for the rotation options and added another option. Here is what the Android version look like.
How do I get this screen to display? Mine stops at the Sound Alarm toggle. I have Leaf Spy Pro 0.35.59, which is the current version in the Play Store.

billg said:
Turbo3 said:
How do I get this screen to display? Mine stops at the Sound Alarm toggle. I have Leaf Spy Pro 0.35.59, which is the current version in the Play Store.
These new functions in Settings will be available in the next test version which will be 0.35.65. It should be available to testers in the next few days.

To be added to the testers group send an email with the email address you used to purchase LeafSpy Pro to [email protected]. The latest released test version you can install is 0.35.64 which includes Dropbox support.

To try to prevent accidentally changing the tire remapping I have added two enable check boxes. They default to unchecked anytime you enter Settings.

You would enable the first one to get the current tire locations remapped so they display correctly on screen 4 relative to their position on the Leaf. Then the next time you rotate your tires you would enable the second check box and select the appropriate rotation image. If you have registered your wheels then you would use Reset to clear any remapping.

Unless someone sees a problem or has a suggestion this is what I will be releasing for test.

Default on entering Settings
xPzxQL.png

Q4B81S.png
fT8tzY.png

This is a timely addition for me!

I've just had my 1 year battery check and had the tires rotated. Yet when I was looking at the tire pressures in LeafSpy Pro, it sure looked like the tires were in the same positions since the rear passenger tire was reading a little low. Just this morning I went to add air and I couldn't seem to affect the pressure in that tire. I am a little slow sometimes! I would have thought that the dealer would have reset the tire positions, but it appears that they did not, and my slightly low tire is now on the front.

jlv said:
...1 year engine ...
No engine.
It is called an annual battery test by Nissan.
But not really a test.
A collection of data that is sent to Nissan, and a single page report on how the customer's behaviors is impacting battery life is provided to the customer.

Since the LEAF doesn't have a display of individual pressures, most dealers and other shops do not register the tires when they rotate them.

In the tire registration, when I click reset that just tells leaf spy that the 4 tires are back in their home position, correct?
Is there a way to tell the software to save the position after a rotation rather than me trying to remember which tire went where when I started from the base layout? Rotate tires, remap, save, then next time I remap I click the way I moved them and save and it clears those boxes after saving.

Tsiah said:
In the tire registration, when I click reset that just tells leaf spy that the 4 tires are back in their home position, correct?
Is there a way to tell the software to save the position after a rotation rather than me trying to remember which tire went where when I started from the base layout? Rotate tires, remap, save, then next time I remap I click the way I moved them and save and it clears those boxes after saving.
I think the Virtual Tire Registration does what you want. Each time you rotate the tires you just enable virtual then tap one of the three normal ways of rotating tires. You don't press Reset unless you have done a real registration which places all the tires back in their assigned locations.

Back