ishiyakazuo
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Chicagoland, USA

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information

Thu May 21, 2015 6:56 am

TonyWilliams wrote:This appears to be Nissan's answer to the Kia Soul EV, but obviously they will have to compete against the GM Bolt in just 1.5 years (likely a 36-40kWh battery).

The Tesla Model 3 will likely be offered as a 50kWh car, with a real 200 mile range at 55mph on perfect days.
Makes sense to me... I'm guessing it's the same car as '13-'15 with perhaps minor tweaks... all things have pointed to the 2nd gen one coming for the '17 MY, so having class-leading battery life in the short-term just to sell a few cars this year is a reasonable approach.
keydiver wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote: SV 30kWh
SL 30kWh
25% increase in capacity? I guess that's a start, but falls quite short of what most of us were hoping for. But, that 25% would be enough in my case to remove any range anxiety. Now, if they would just offer us an upgrade option to the 30kWh pack when they give me my warranty replacement pack. I'd gladly pay them an extra couple grand. 8-)
Yep, me too. 30kWh would be really nice. Once every couple of weeks, I need to go 80 miles r/t (mostly highway) and the LEAF just doesn't cut it currently. An extra 25% and I'm there! (Right now I drive my ICE those days, but with 30kWh I'd be good to go!)
Sublime wrote:I'll theorize that the 24kWh packs are a way for them to get rid of any inventory of the old chemistry while they transition to the new chemistry.
That, and I suspect that Nissan won't offer 30kWh packs as an upgrade to older cars that need warranty replacement, so they might keep the 24kWh packs in production (maybe with new chemistry) just to be able to perform warranty replacements.
2012 LEAF SL in Cayenne Red
40 mile R/T commute in Chicagoland
Leaf Spy Lite (June 2015, 22513 miles): AHr = 56.86, SOH = 86%, 393.13V, Hx = 73.55%, 924 L1/L2s, min/avg/max = 4.080 4.097 4.109 (29mV)

desiv
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:10 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850
Location: Lincoln City, Oregon

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information

Thu May 21, 2015 7:46 am

keydiver wrote:I guess that's a start, but falls quite short of what most of us were hoping for.
I'm not totally sure that's true..
I mean, of course most of us are always hoping for more ;-), but I also think most of us probably thought the 16 model wasn't going to have a battery bump. That was waiting for 17..
So I'm pleasantly surprised..

I think it's a perfect amount for now for selfish reasons.
If it was much more, I'd feel bad about pulling the trigger on my '12 a while ago. But 30 isn't enough to make my commute from home to work and back, so I'm still on target to trade in my '12 in '18 or so.. ;-)

desiv
2012 Leaf SL - Silver (gone - traded in)
2017 Bolt LT - Red

User avatar
DaveEV
Forum Supporter
Posts: 6239
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information

Thu May 21, 2015 8:05 am

ishiyakazuo wrote:I suspect that Nissan won't offer 30kWh packs as an upgrade to older cars that need warranty replacement, so they might keep the 24kWh packs in production (maybe with new chemistry) just to be able to perform warranty replacements.
Actually, warranty replacements have to use the latest and best chemistry that fits under the terms of the warranty settlement.

ishiyakazuo
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Chicagoland, USA

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information

Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 am

drees wrote:
ishiyakazuo wrote:I suspect that Nissan won't offer 30kWh packs as an upgrade to older cars that need warranty replacement, so they might keep the 24kWh packs in production (maybe with new chemistry) just to be able to perform warranty replacements.
Actually, warranty replacements have to use the latest and best chemistry that fits under the terms of the warranty settlement.
Latest and best CHEMISTRY but not the latest and best CAPACITY. They could be smaller/lighter/cheaper modules. They're two different things.
2012 LEAF SL in Cayenne Red
40 mile R/T commute in Chicagoland
Leaf Spy Lite (June 2015, 22513 miles): AHr = 56.86, SOH = 86%, 393.13V, Hx = 73.55%, 924 L1/L2s, min/avg/max = 4.080 4.097 4.109 (29mV)

minispeed
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 am
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014
Location: Ancaster, ON

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information

Thu May 21, 2015 8:37 am

ishiyakazuo wrote:
drees wrote:
ishiyakazuo wrote:I suspect that Nissan won't offer 30kWh packs as an upgrade to older cars that need warranty replacement, so they might keep the 24kWh packs in production (maybe with new chemistry) just to be able to perform warranty replacements.
Actually, warranty replacements have to use the latest and best chemistry that fits under the terms of the warranty settlement.
Latest and best CHEMISTRY but not the latest and best CAPACITY. They could be smaller/lighter/cheaper modules. They're two different things.
A lighter 24kWh battery would then go further than the current one so it could also be seen as an upgrade.

Someone mentioned a theory that the 24kWh may be a restricted 30kWh, it would be interesting to see the weight specs of each to confirm. It would also be interesting to find out if all 2015 lizard packs had the same restriction.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

Valdemar
Posts: 2630
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information

Thu May 21, 2015 8:47 am

To me the biggest question is if these packs will work on the current Leafs, in 3 years I will be facing a question if I should donate my Leaf to a charity or buy a new battery, availability of a larger compatible pack will make decision making slightly more difficult.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

ishiyakazuo
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Chicagoland, USA

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information

Thu May 21, 2015 8:51 am

minispeed wrote: A lighter 24kWh battery would then go further than the current one so it could also be seen as an upgrade.

Someone mentioned a theory that the 24kWh may be a restricted 30kWh, it would be interesting to see the weight specs of each to confirm. It would also be interesting to find out if all 2015 lizard packs had the same restriction.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p422791
It's possible, based on some info in this thread. It seems like the lizards could be at least 27kWh.
2012 LEAF SL in Cayenne Red
40 mile R/T commute in Chicagoland
Leaf Spy Lite (June 2015, 22513 miles): AHr = 56.86, SOH = 86%, 393.13V, Hx = 73.55%, 924 L1/L2s, min/avg/max = 4.080 4.097 4.109 (29mV)

Valdemar
Posts: 2630
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information

Thu May 21, 2015 8:59 am

ishiyakazuo wrote:
minispeed wrote: A lighter 24kWh battery would then go further than the current one so it could also be seen as an upgrade.

Someone mentioned a theory that the 24kWh may be a restricted 30kWh, it would be interesting to see the weight specs of each to confirm. It would also be interesting to find out if all 2015 lizard packs had the same restriction.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p422791
It's possible, based on some info in this thread. It seems like the lizards could be at least 27kWh.
Is this what makes them "tolerate" heat better, he-he.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

bruddahmanmatt
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:01 am

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information

Thu May 21, 2015 9:00 am

In response to a few questions:

1. No official drop date yet, but I'd wager we'll see the car sometime in the fall when most new MYs hit the ground.

2. No mention of whether or not the S model's 24kWh pack is really a 30kWh pack that's just software limited to 24kWh, but as others have said, it's likely Nissan's way of getting rid of old stock 24kWh packs.

3. No word on whether or not the new 30kWh packs will be able to be retrofitted to '11-'15 LEAFs.

FWIW, this is a good move on Nissan's part IMO. They'll be able to use the sales data to determine how to package the Gen 2 as far as range, trim level and options. It's not a full blown 40-48kWh usable everyone is dreaming about just yet but it's a great stopgap as some have mentioned to compete with the Soul EV for now.

ishiyakazuo
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Chicagoland, USA

Re: 2016 Nissan LEAF Information

Thu May 21, 2015 9:04 am

Valdemar wrote:
ishiyakazuo wrote:
minispeed wrote: A lighter 24kWh battery would then go further than the current one so it could also be seen as an upgrade.

Someone mentioned a theory that the 24kWh may be a restricted 30kWh, it would be interesting to see the weight specs of each to confirm. It would also be interesting to find out if all 2015 lizard packs had the same restriction.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p422791
It's possible, based on some info in this thread. It seems like the lizards could be at least 27kWh.
Is this what makes them "tolerate" heat better, he-he.
I'd say if it's really 27kWh (or even 30kWh), and it needs to degrade down to 16kWh before a replacement happens, that's going to happen a lot slower than 24 -> 16 due to the non-linear degradation these cells have... would be a good way to exceed 5 years/60k miles even in harsher environments.
2012 LEAF SL in Cayenne Red
40 mile R/T commute in Chicagoland
Leaf Spy Lite (June 2015, 22513 miles): AHr = 56.86, SOH = 86%, 393.13V, Hx = 73.55%, 924 L1/L2s, min/avg/max = 4.080 4.097 4.109 (29mV)

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”