2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TonyWilliams said:
This appears to be Nissan's answer to the Kia Soul EV, but obviously they will have to compete against the GM Bolt in just 1.5 years (likely a 36-40kWh battery).

The Tesla Model 3 will likely be offered as a 50kWh car, with a real 200 mile range at 55mph on perfect days.
Makes sense to me... I'm guessing it's the same car as '13-'15 with perhaps minor tweaks... all things have pointed to the 2nd gen one coming for the '17 MY, so having class-leading battery life in the short-term just to sell a few cars this year is a reasonable approach.

keydiver said:
bruddahmanmatt said:
SV 30kWh
SL 30kWh

25% increase in capacity? I guess that's a start, but falls quite short of what most of us were hoping for. But, that 25% would be enough in my case to remove any range anxiety. Now, if they would just offer us an upgrade option to the 30kWh pack when they give me my warranty replacement pack. I'd gladly pay them an extra couple grand. :cool:
Yep, me too. 30kWh would be really nice. Once every couple of weeks, I need to go 80 miles r/t (mostly highway) and the LEAF just doesn't cut it currently. An extra 25% and I'm there! (Right now I drive my ICE those days, but with 30kWh I'd be good to go!)

Sublime said:
I'll theorize that the 24kWh packs are a way for them to get rid of any inventory of the old chemistry while they transition to the new chemistry.
That, and I suspect that Nissan won't offer 30kWh packs as an upgrade to older cars that need warranty replacement, so they might keep the 24kWh packs in production (maybe with new chemistry) just to be able to perform warranty replacements.

keydiver said:
I guess that's a start, but falls quite short of what most of us were hoping for.
I'm not totally sure that's true..
I mean, of course most of us are always hoping for more ;-), but I also think most of us probably thought the 16 model wasn't going to have a battery bump. That was waiting for 17..
So I'm pleasantly surprised..

I think it's a perfect amount for now for selfish reasons.
If it was much more, I'd feel bad about pulling the trigger on my '12 a while ago. But 30 isn't enough to make my commute from home to work and back, so I'm still on target to trade in my '12 in '18 or so.. ;-)

desiv

ishiyakazuo said:
I suspect that Nissan won't offer 30kWh packs as an upgrade to older cars that need warranty replacement, so they might keep the 24kWh packs in production (maybe with new chemistry) just to be able to perform warranty replacements.
Actually, warranty replacements have to use the latest and best chemistry that fits under the terms of the warranty settlement.

drees said:
ishiyakazuo said:
I suspect that Nissan won't offer 30kWh packs as an upgrade to older cars that need warranty replacement, so they might keep the 24kWh packs in production (maybe with new chemistry) just to be able to perform warranty replacements.
Actually, warranty replacements have to use the latest and best chemistry that fits under the terms of the warranty settlement.
Latest and best CHEMISTRY but not the latest and best CAPACITY. They could be smaller/lighter/cheaper modules. They're two different things.

ishiyakazuo said:
drees said:
ishiyakazuo said:
Latest and best CHEMISTRY but not the latest and best CAPACITY. They could be smaller/lighter/cheaper modules. They're two different things.

A lighter 24kWh battery would then go further than the current one so it could also be seen as an upgrade.

Someone mentioned a theory that the 24kWh may be a restricted 30kWh, it would be interesting to see the weight specs of each to confirm. It would also be interesting to find out if all 2015 lizard packs had the same restriction.

To me the biggest question is if these packs will work on the current Leafs, in 3 years I will be facing a question if I should donate my Leaf to a charity or buy a new battery, availability of a larger compatible pack will make decision making slightly more difficult.

minispeed said:
A lighter 24kWh battery would then go further than the current one so it could also be seen as an upgrade.

Someone mentioned a theory that the 24kWh may be a restricted 30kWh, it would be interesting to see the weight specs of each to confirm. It would also be interesting to find out if all 2015 lizard packs had the same restriction.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=19694&start=30#p422791
It's possible, based on some info in this thread. It seems like the lizards could be at least 27kWh.

ishiyakazuo said:
minispeed said:

It's possible, based on some info in this thread. It seems like the lizards could be at least 27kWh.

Is this what makes them "tolerate" heat better, he-he.

In response to a few questions:

1. No official drop date yet, but I'd wager we'll see the car sometime in the fall when most new MYs hit the ground.

2. No mention of whether or not the S model's 24kWh pack is really a 30kWh pack that's just software limited to 24kWh, but as others have said, it's likely Nissan's way of getting rid of old stock 24kWh packs.

3. No word on whether or not the new 30kWh packs will be able to be retrofitted to '11-'15 LEAFs.

FWIW, this is a good move on Nissan's part IMO. They'll be able to use the sales data to determine how to package the Gen 2 as far as range, trim level and options. It's not a full blown 40-48kWh usable everyone is dreaming about just yet but it's a great stopgap as some have mentioned to compete with the Soul EV for now.

Valdemar said:
ishiyakazuo said:
minispeed said:

I'd say if it's really 27kWh (or even 30kWh), and it needs to degrade down to 16kWh before a replacement happens, that's going to happen a lot slower than 24 -> 16 due to the non-linear degradation these cells have... would be a good way to exceed 5 years/60k miles even in harsher environments.

bruddahmanmatt said:
FWIW, this is a good move on Nissan's part IMO. They'll be able to use the sales data to determine how to package the Gen 2 as far as range, trim level and options. It's not a full blown 40-48kWh usable everyone is dreaming about just yet but it's a great stopgap as some have mentioned to compete with the Soul EV for now.
Brudda,

Thanks again for this! Any idea if the S, SV, SL prices will stay close to the current price?

Also, have you heard anything about a 60kWh pack "on the factory floor"? That there may be a real 200+ mi option in wings for Leaf 2.0?

Valdemar said:
ishiyakazuo said:
minispeed said:

Just a safe way of testing for it. If they never opened it up with more capacity then yes it would be a cheap, and not entirely ethical way of achieving a heat resistant pack. The volt may do this in a more honest way, there may be no way to measure the degradation of it's battery until it's capacity dips below it's large restriction.

If they did choose this route who's to say that the new 30kWh option isn't just a second phase test of a larger overall pack before the 2nd gen comes out, ie a restricted 40-48?

We can keep playing the guessing games until someone opens one up and tests them but I can tell you that my 2015 is almost a year old with 32000km, 20k miles and shows 0 loss, still reads 292 gids however it only went through the tail end of summer and was sold to me while it was still in transit from the factory.

Yep, as previously stated, Chemistry yes, capacity definitely no...

By the way, it is a long story how it all came about, but I am pick up my car with a warranty new battery today and the parts list shows it is an F revision...

drees said:

ampitupco said:
Any word on the e-NV200 van for 2016 in the USA?
If e-NV200 gets the 30kWh pack then it will have 94 mile range. The last word I heard is that it is going to be available for fleet purchases first half of next year. Nissan said they were thinking of making a Rogue electric, so that might replace the e-nv200 for passengers in the U.S.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/qashqai/90714/nissan-qashqai-range-could-get-hot-nismo-and-ev-versions#ixzz3TSfs8thF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nissan revealed that its electric vehicle range could extend further to models such as the Qashqai.
Nissan’s chief performance officer, Trevor Mann, told us, “We’re not saying yes to anything and we’re not saying no to anything.

ampitupco said:
Any word on the e-NV200 van for 2016 in the USA?

No word yet on availability in the US, but a larger capacity pack is a must for it to be a viable commercial vehicle here in the States IMO, at least here in LA anyway where everything is spread out like crazy.

jhm614 said:
bruddahmanmatt said:
Brudda,

Thanks again for this! Any idea if the S, SV, SL prices will stay close to the current price?

Also, have you heard anything about a 60kWh pack "on the factory floor"? That there may be a real 200+ mi option in wings for Leaf 2.0?

No word on pricing yet, and no information on anything larger than a 30kWh pack at the moment.

TonyWilliams said:
This appears to be Nissan's answer to the Kia Soul EV, but obviously they will have to compete against the GM Bolt in just 1.5 years (likely a 36-40kWh battery).

The Tesla Model 3 will likely be offered as a 50kWh car, with a real 200 mile range at 55mph on perfect days.

It's funny, my thought was this is their answer to Volt 2.0. With 50 miles of range plus a range extender, the jump to an 84 mile Leaf is a bridge too far for many consumers.

Kia Soul is good competition, but with such low production rates set for 2016, I don't think that Nissan is losing any appreciable sales (or sleep) because of it. Now Leaf 2 will obviously have stiff competition with the Bolt and Model III around. So that's where I expect to see the *real* range increase (i.e. 150-200 miles).

They are probably busy designing a TMS for a larger pack, without it is going to get very toasty with 50kW going in for 30 minutes.

Ditto on the Soul, I barely see them around here. A niche product within a niche market.

GetOffYourGas said:
TonyWilliams said:

It's funny, my thought was this is their answer to Volt 2.0. With 50 miles of range plus a range extender, the jump to an 84 mile Leaf is a bridge too far for many consumers.

Kia Soul is good competition, but with such low production rates set for 2016, I don't think that Nissan is losing any appreciable sales (or sleep) because of it. Now Leaf 2 will obviously have stiff competition with the Bolt and Model III around. So that's where I expect to see the *real* range increase (i.e. 150-200 miles).
I suspect there's truth in both the Soul EV and the Volt 2 being factors. Nissan is simply seeing more competition and knows they need to step it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back