Bakersfield and South Valley EV Owners Breakfast 20 June

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgipe

Saturday, June 20, 2015
9:30 AM
Golden Corral
5001 Ming Ave, Bakersfield, CA

We'll try to find a secluded table where we can talk shop. Everyone welcome even if you don't own an EV.

Find us, then grab a tray and go through the buffet.

We can discuss the last event, future events, or just swap stories about you and your EV.

If you have ideas on how to make owning and driving an EV easier, let us know. There are a series of new charging stations being installed in Tehachapi, Wheeler Ridge, and Bakersfield.

Paul Gipe

The food selections at GC are generally much more varied than HTB,
and the food at the one GC that I have been to near LA was quite good.
So, two notches up from HTB, but with a bit higher price tag and
often even more crowded, and less flexible seating for small groups.

This "Ming" location seems to have extended parking, where the EVs
could all park together if that was considered a plus. Here, we try to
do that, just to make it easier for others to have a bit of a "wow, mom,
look at those..." factor.

I will see if I can make it there through the one Supercharger that
is conveniently located a bit south of Bakersfield, from Laguna Hills.

What time does your GC open for breakfast on Saturday?

When it gets full of people, it can be very noisy. I suspect that
they want to encourage "eat and leave" rather than "stay and chat".

garygid said:

Gary, I don't know when it opens. I've never been there. The venue and time was suggested by Mike Bornstein (RAV4).

Venue, time, event are all new. My preference is a reserved room but Mike and Ollie Danner thought this venue would work so I am going with their suggestion.

If you want to come up, we'd be glad to have you. We have no idea who or how many will show up.

Paul

The Next Bakersfield meeting is June 20th
Meeting will be at the Golden Corral, 5001 Ming Avenue at 9:30 am. Get your breakfast from the buffet and come and join us! :D

All EV owners and prospective owners are invited.
If you have a BEV, public chargers are available at the auto mall (check with PlugShare), or you can use the 40A Leviton at my house and I can drive you to the meeting.

If you plan on using a public charger, let us know so that we can pick you up and drive you to the meeting. :shock:

Unless something goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, ...

I am planning to drive the Tesla up from Laguna Hills, 92653
for the event. If I can get started before 6 AM, and get perhaps
20 minutes of fast charging at the Tejon Ranch Supercharger,
I could actually get there on time.

I travel with an OEM spare wheel (rim and mounted tire) in the frunk
of my non-D Model S85. I could bring some extras that I have, if any
Tesla owner wants to buy a spare. Please PM me if interested,
including your phone number, and good times for me to call and chat.

I drove a LEAF since March 2011, but this silver Tesla arrived suddenly
just before Christmas in December 2014. Compared to any other EV,
it has rather good Range, facilitating this trip, which will be my longest
so far, and include the long 4000 foot climb up the I-5. In the LEAF, it
would have required enough charging to make the trip... much more
tedious.

I hope to see you all at the CG on the 20th.
Cheers, Gary

Gary,

If I didn't say so earlier, we're excited you are coming up. We just drove over the Grapevine and both coming and going we were passed (as those standing still) by Teslas. Great to see them out there on I-5.

By June we should have a good idea of the charge stations going in around here.

Paul

garygid said:

Gary:

According to their website, they open at 9am. I will try to get there then and reserve a table. I will also try calling them to see if we can reserve a room.

Looking forward to seeing you again ,,, we met at Cerritos several months ago.

Mike

According to another web site, the GC in Bakersfield opens at 7:30 AM
on Saturday and Sunday. We need to call them, but not really
relevant, since you are meeting at 9:30 AM on Saturday.

Group Reservations appear to be for 25 or more people.

From the lack of responses here, it might be a small group.

I'm planning on coming up. Either I'll bring the Rav but the flakiness of that CHAdeMO charger has me concerned nearby so I might be riding up with Gary.

It's only 87 miles for me but we'll be there.

JasonA said:
I'm planning on coming up. Either I'll bring the Rav but the flakiness of that CHAdeMO charger has me concerned nearby so I might be riding up with Gary.

It's only 87 miles for me but we'll be there.

That's great Jason. We're glad to have you.

Which CHAdeMO are you talking about? The one at Nissan? I haven't heard about many problems with it--others yes.

Mike will be there. He drives a RAV4.

Paul

JasonA said:
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/1459Last post was an overheat. I called there and someone there said a few times it's been hit and miss. Tony reported a full charge but it may have been cool/cold.

My luck it'll be hot that weekend :roll: . Darn filters

Jason,

Yes, the ride with Gary sounds like the right thing to do. I was just out there and it . . . was off with a temp error. I tried to reset it by holding the stop button down, then both the stop and start button. Neither worked. I told the salesmen watching me to tell the sales manager and I posted it to plugshare.com.

I am new to this, but it seems like the DCFC are down a lot and that's no good. It suggests the technology is not ready for prime time--or at least the way Nissan rolled out their charge stations.

Paul

Just a reminder of our meeting next Saturday at the Golden Corral, 5001 Ming Avenue Bakersfield at 9:30am.
We will have many famous guests including Tony, GlennD and JasonA. All forum members are invited, especially those in the San Joaquin Valley and Northern LA county. There is a Nissan DCFC at the local dealer and multiple 14-50's at a local RV park. I have a Leviton 40A that can also be used if you send me a PM.

If there's any members (LEAF or other EV'ers) coming from the SanFran valley, Tom (Red Tesla), Dory (LeafyD) and Gary (Mr.Gid) will be first stopping by my place in the morning. 7am or so, and we'll be caravan'ing up there.

If someone else wants to tag along or charge at my house, I've got PLENTY of power ;)

We had a good time and it was great to talk shop with such an experienced crew. Gary, Tom, Jason and his wife, Dori drove up in Gary's new Tesla. They joined Mike Bornstein, his son, Stefanie, and myself from Bakersfield.

Alas, all good things must come to an end and after three hours, we packed up and called it a day.

Again, thanks for coming all the way up here to Bakerspatch. We appreciate your support.

Paul

Back