Silly idea?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauileaves

Ok solar tech people, what would I need to make a little solar carport? Only for leaf charging. Not to concerned with impressive charging numbers, half the reason is to get my black Leaf out of the sun all day at work.

Not silly at all - a carport (if located in good location) could well provide a convenient surface to install solar panels.

IMO the best approach would be to build it grid-tied. If you go standalone you either only use power when car is there to charge (wasting potential energy collection) or pay a premium to have batteries in place as well to save power generated when car is not there.

Rest of the job isn't really complex. Assuming you have an appropriate location with good solar access you just build the car-port with the weight of the panels in consideration, install panels and grid-tie as normal. Install EVSE (outdoor type) and you are all set. Being grid-tied your rate of charge won't be limited by the panels, and you just might be able to break-even on power usage over long term averages.

There is a company who has created a turn-key system that is a parking spot with battery and panels - can be trucked around. Cost on that unit is out of reach of most of us (and doesn't make sense in terms of cost of power harvested over the lifetime of the unit).

Mauileaves said:
Ok solar tech people, what would I need to make a little solar carport? Only for leaf charging. Not to concerned with impressive charging numbers, half the reason is to get my black Leaf out of the sun all day at work.
With a system already on your home, it may be possible to increase power by adding panels even with a 7000W inverter already. If not, the orientation of your carport should have the roof sloping south with minimal shade. As the previous commenter said, size the port for roof and panel weight, making sure it accommodates the largest intended vehicle. Consider Enphase micro inverters for ease of construction, accommodation of shading, and claiming all power above 7000W. Please note that we have 7200W hooked up to our original 6000W inverter, but lose very little power due to sun angle, clouds, and desert temperatures. Of course, your mileage will vary. It will help if you update your info to include location beyond the implied "Maui."

ishiyakazuo said:
You mean like this?
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/envision-solar-ev-charger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Indeed I think that was the system I dug into a few weeks ago. My conclusion is that it has value for companies wanting to make a very visible (and expensive) statement OR perhaps for an off-grid solution. However, I doubt that we'll see these popping up in state parks and forests to allow EV drivers to visit. Would be rather nice to have one at a wilderness trail-head, but who is going to pay $40K to put it there eh?

Certainly not worth that cost for a home solution as I'm assuming OP is looking for... I have to imagine that a grid-tied home built solution would come in well under that budget.

Slow1 said:
ishiyakazuo said:
You mean like this?
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/envision-solar-ev-charger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Indeed I think that was the system I dug into a few weeks ago. My conclusion is that it has value for companies wanting to make a very visible (and expensive) statement OR perhaps for an off-grid solution. However, I doubt that we'll see these popping up in state parks and forests to allow EV drivers to visit. Would be rather nice to have one at a wilderness trail-head, but who is going to pay $40K to put it there eh?

Certainly not worth that cost for a home solution as I'm assuming OP is looking for... I have to imagine that a grid-tied home built solution would come in well under that budget.
Oh yeah, no doubt! I just thought it was worth bringing in, because obviously someone thought it wasn't a silly idea, and went as far as to productize it ;)

ishiyakazuo said:
Oh yeah, no doubt! I just thought it was worth bringing in, because obviously someone thought it wasn't a silly idea, and went as far as to productize it ;)

Agreed. The thing I wonder about is if that company would consider building a grid-tied version (skip the batteries) that could perhaps be deployed to condos/apts/homes as a real turn-key solution. I wonder what the price point on that would be and how it would compare to other options.

However, when portability isn't part of the issue, once you build yourself a carport then ask "can I charge via solar" the optimal approach likely is to look at all available roof structures and optimize to get the best solar coverage possible. Certainly keeping in mind the solar goal when building anything could help here... I really like some of the 'solar sheds' I've seen. If/when I put a shed in someplace, a south exposure in full sun will be a consideration in the location/design....

This is what I built.
If you just eliminated the shed.... you would have a carport.

4000 watts, I charge at 3.3 when I use it.
Works great, plus grid tied.

Did it all myself.
Pretty easy.

lift.jpg

charger-1.jpg

We are so far behind some countries. We spent two weeks in Italy in 2013 (avatar is from Florence). Drove over 850 miles. About half the driving was on the Autostrada, where all of the rest stops had numerous shaded parking spots. No waste of roof space there - the shades are solar panels. Not all of the spaces had charging ports, but most of the Autostrada rest stops we encountered were listed as self-sustaining.

One of my first projects at our new home (moving in July) will be to convince the community to let us put panels over the garage.

FYI - http://cleantechnica.com/2015/02/08/solar-shingles-renewable-energy-solution-curb-appeal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JohnBike said:
We are so far behind some countries. We spent two weeks in Italy in 2013 (avatar is from Florence). Drove over 850 miles. About half the driving was on the Autostrada, where all of the rest stops had numerous shaded parking spots. No waste of roof space there - the shades are solar panels. Not all of the spaces had charging ports, but most of the Autostrada rest stops we encountered were listed as self-sustaining.

One of my first projects at our new home (moving in July) will be to convince the community to let us put panels over the garage.

Very nice...

KillaWhat said:
This is what I built.

Did it all myself.
Pretty easy.

lift.jpg

charger-1.jpg

I was thinking super low end basic 4x4 posts and 2x6 rafters- Costco or other panels, and no grid tie in. Total low ball shade/charge combo- Stand alone. My workplace has no grid to tie into. Don't want batteries at this point.
Questions:
1. If no car, where does power go? Can you just turn it off?
2. Right now the car accepts the plug in (what is output of 110 plug in unit?) and 440 volt. I would like to avoid inverters- possible?

Think stupid simple- or is this impossible?

JimSouCal said:
Very nice...

KillaWhat said:
This is what I built.

Did it all myself.
Pretty easy.

lift.jpg

charger-1.jpg
Sweet! More than I had in mind, but for sure that would be awesome!

Mauileaves said:
No, stupid simple is not possible.

I'm not aware of any commercial product that does what you envision.

Even if you were able to use DC straight from the panels to the car, you'd still need a sophisticated CHAdeMO charger that knows exactly how much solar power is available. And that charger would need a DC-DC inverter to boost/buck the solar panel voltage to the appropriate voltage for charging the car.

If you want stupid simple - grid-tied is about as simple as it gets.

A standalone system has to be much more complex and I just don't see it working well without at least a couple batteries.

drees said:
Mauileaves said:
No, stupid simple is not possible.

I'm not aware of any commercial product that does what you envision.

Even if you were able to use DC straight from the panels to the car, you'd still need a sophisticated CHAdeMO charger that knows exactly how much solar power is available. And that charger would need a DC-DC inverter to boost/buck the solar panel voltage to the appropriate voltage for charging the car.

If you want stupid simple - grid-tied is about as simple as it gets.

A standalone system has to be much more complex and I just don't see it working well without at least a couple batteries.

Agreed. Also consider if you do a direct to vehicle without grid or battery then your payback on the panels is likely to be even longer; effectively increasing the cost/kWh actually delivered to the car. I don't know your parking habits, but do you think the car will be in that carport more than 1/2 the sunny time even? Rest of the time is wasted potential....

Ok, clear, as I had suspected it would be too easy and would have been done already!
So off grid could work with battery pack, and would make a lot more sense too.

Back