Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JasonA said:
Those 2 chargers were installed and placed with public/state funds.

Sadly, this is likely one of the reason they can't make these stations a part of eVgo. I have yet to run into a non-working eVgo Sumitomo charger, not saying they don't exist, just haven't seen one yet. The CSU and LADWP ones, problems all the time.

Somebody needs to complain about this!! or start a petition against CSUN...

the L2's on campus already don't get used!!!

http://www.csun.edu/parking/transportation

Contact Us

Astrid B. Logan
Transportation Coordinator
Phone: 818-677-3946

Hours of Operation

Monday through Friday
8:30am -3:30pm

Cal State Northridge
Department of Police Services
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8297
Mail Drop: 8297

Physical Address
9222 Darby Avenue
Corner of Darby Ave. & Prairie Street

L2s do get used, I frequent lot G3 this summer, there are 4 plugs, typically 2 are in use morning/afternoon. I suspect they get even more use during school year. Removal of L3s will leave 118 corridor seriously limited.

G3 is not the only lot with L2's but that's not the argument here ;)

The bigger issue is how they can rip out something that is a publicly funded item?

JasonA said:
G3 is not the only lot with L2's but that's not the argument here ;)

The bigger issue is how they can rip out something that is a publicly funded item?

I suspect they don't have the expertise to service the chargers in-house, and each service call costs them money which they don't have a budget for, not to mention any replacement parts they need to buy. A possible solution to this problem is to connect these chargers to say Chargepoint and start collecting money for charger use, the revenue stream will allow to offset maintenance costs. I think the model where you pay for parking and get charging for free isn't working too well for them as most don't even bother buying a permit, chances being caught by parking enforcement during 20-30 minutes are pretty low, and even if they do show up there is enough time to flee (I've seen it happen).

Anyone has any theory why NRG-owned Nissan-branded chargers continue to work in the summer heat and the LADWP owned ones, or CSUN's for that matter, overheat constantly? I noticed all NRG chargers are sealed with some sort of grey compound around the base, also some also turn their fans on only when charging. Newer firmware/hardware? Regular maintenance?

Valdemar said:
Anyone has any theory why NRG-owned Nissan-branded chargers continue to work in the summer heat and the LADWP owned ones, or CSUN's for that matter, overheat constantly? I noticed all NRG chargers are sealed with some sort of grey compound around the base, also some also turn their fans on only when charging. Newer firmware/hardware? Regular maintenance?

NRG hired a company to upgrade the cooling fans, filters, and seal the unit from water. That's the difference.

TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:

NRG hired a company to upgrade the cooling fans, filters, and seal the unit from water. That's the difference.

Interesting, apparently it was money well spent. I did notice the external filter and fans look a bit different than stock on NRG units. Not all their units turns the fans off when idle, the one I noticed does it is in Woodland Hills on Canoga Ave. I wonder if they will eventually replace them with ABB or other models, it happened in one location already: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/45659

Valdemar said:
I wonder if they will eventually replace them with ABB or other models, it happened in one location already: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/45659
Looks like they did it in Mission Viejo, Carlsbad and Escondido, too, at the very least. They must have enough information on the ABBs to know they are more reliable than the Nissan units and has the added benefit of giving you two SAE Combo QC plugs, too.
The Shops at Mission Viejo
Carlsbad Premium Outlets
Del Norte Plaza

Back