Leaf 2 coming out in ... 2018 ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150727/OEM04/307279995/nissan-aims-for-volume-sweet-spots-with-rollouts

AutoNews has an article showing the road map of Toyota, Honda, Nissan (and their luxury brands) till 2019.

According to them, Leaf 2 is coming out in 2018. And Infiniti LE in 2019.

It is not clear whether they are talking about Financial Years (Nissan's ends in March) or Model Years (which start anywhere in the earlier year) or calendar year. If it is the Model Year, that is not a big delay - since Leaf 2 was supposed to come sometime early 2017. But if this is the calendar year, then Leaf 2 is delayed by at least a year - and may come after even Model 3, let along Bolt.

Leaf: The electric Leaf's driving range will expand for 2016, with a 30-kilowatt-hour battery delivering between 110 and 125 miles per full charge, compared with its current EPA-rated range of 84 miles. But an even bigger performance gain is coming with the Leaf's 2018 redesign, according to a person familiar with the project. A battery-power system is being developed that could give the new generation more than 300 miles of driving range.

Infiniti LE: Originally proposed as a rebadged Nissan Leaf, the on-again-off-again Infiniti electric car is back in the longer-range product plans for now. Nissan executives recently told shareholders that the automaker is developing an electric-vehicle battery system that could provide a driving range of more than 300 miles per charge. The likely 2018-19 time frame for that technology is a likely bet for the Infiniti EV.

2015Japansm.png

They can sell it January 1, 2017 as a 2018 model if they wanted to... But Nissan has typically worked the other direction with the Leaf so it may not actually come until we are IN 2018... If so, it is going to be too little too late, likely...

evnow said:
DanCar said:
2018 models typically are available late in 2017 and sometimes much earlier.
Right - Nissan can sell Leaf 2 in March 2017 as a MY18 car.

Interesting.

The rest of the field has caught up to their current product. If they aren't going to get it out until calendar year 2018, they had best do 150+ if they want to maintain a leadership position. If they only do a bump to 110 mile range, they better do it sooner than later and have a mid-model upgrade available within 2-3 years to a higher range. This is a space that is developing too rapidly to attempt to run a model for 7 years.

If I was a shareholder and saw them whistle away their lead, I'd be pissed.

It's crazy how BMW, KIA, VW, and GM all have a BEV that is on par with the Nissan Leaf. Talk about blowing their lead. The only thing is that Nissan sells their car nationwide where most of those other companies do not. Still, the Leaf is becoming old hat. I hope they come out with v2 sooner than 2017 or gasp 2018. They are giving the EV haters at Toyota and Honda a chance to realize they are wrong and stupid about evs and catch up. Don't do it Nissan, go faster.

EVDrive said:
It's crazy how BMW, KIA, VW, and GM all have a BEV that is on par with the Nissan Leaf.

The BMW is expensive and Kia, VW, and GM do not sell a BEV outside of a few select areas. Not sure they can (or want to) scale up and actually sell their EVs. Actually, at this point it's safe to say they don't want to.

DarthPuppy said:
Interesting.

The rest of the field has caught up to their current product. If they aren't going to get it out until calendar year 2018, they had best do 150+ if they want to maintain a leadership position. If they only do a bump to 110 mile range, they better do it sooner than later and have a mid-model upgrade available within 2-3 years to a higher range. This is a space that is developing too rapidly to attempt to run a model for 7 years.

If I was a shareholder and saw them whistle away their lead, I'd be pissed.

Re-read the OP. It's talking about 110-125 miles in 2016 and "300 miles" (yeah, right!) in 2018.

Personally, I expect that Nissan will give us the MY2016 this fall with ~100 (EPA) miles. Then the MY2017 will be a short run (~6 months, from fall 2016 - spring 2017) of the same. Gen2 will arrive in spring of 2017, as a MY2018, with 150-200 (EPA) miles. This story matches with the OP, assuming "years" are talking about model years. It also preserves Nissan's lead in the market, with both an incremental change (leap-frogging the Soul EV), and beating both the Bolt and Model III to market.

Of course delays are always possible when bringing a new technology to market.

I sure hope you are right that MY16, MY17 and MY18 will each have significant advances with one of them being the jump to Gen2. I think the Leaf is awesome and would love to see Nissan continue to lead this market.

I'm just really concerned that it looks like they may try to do a 6-7 year model run before they bring out Gen2 and make the next major advance. That is a pace that gives the competition too much opportunity to catch up.

I concur that only selling in limited markets demonstrates a lack of conviction by the competitors. So part of me really wants to see Nissan succeed and teach them a lesson. To do that will require maintaining leadership.

Of course, the other part of me wants to see the competitors succeed with this as well. This market and technology will really only take off well if there are more than 2 companies successfully selling BEVs.

And I do like some of the recent arrivals. So if I was in the market today, it would be a tough call between Leaf, B, eGolf and i3.

However, from a business management perspective, it would be negligent in my mind for Nissan to let this lead slip away.

DarthPuppy said:
I'm just really concerned that it looks like they may try to do a 6-7 year model run before they bring out Gen2 and make the next major advance. That is a pace that gives the competition too much opportunity to catch up.

Yet that is exactly what I expect them to do. The first Leaf was a MY2011. 2011-2017 is a 7 year model run. Others predict that the MY2017 will be gen 2 - that would be a 6 year model run. So Nissan is doing exactly that - a 6-7 year model run of the first-gen Leaf. And I don't think they are squandering their lead in the process.

It is disappointing to me that it may take that long for a Leaf 2 to hit the showrooms, but I'm not seeing anybody else on a faster timetable. Sure, we keep hearing about $35K 200-mile-range cars coming out from Tesla and Chevy, and possibly VW, but at this point they are all mythical beasts. Do any of these other manufacturers actually have a firm timetable on when their cars will arrive so I can buy one?

ALF said:
It is disappointing to me that it may take that long for a Leaf 2 to hit the showrooms, but I'm not seeing anybody else on a faster timetable. Sure, we keep hearing about $35K 200-mile-range cars coming out from Tesla and Chevy, and possibly VW, but at this point they are all mythical beasts. Do any of these other manufacturers actually have a firm timetable on when their cars will arrive so I can buy one?

No...but you already knew that, right ;)
When the dust settles, I still expect Nissan to be the first out of the gate with a sub-$40k BEV with 150-200 mile range. Their offer of a 30kWh battery pack in 2016 is an indicator that they have already seen some improvement in power density; now all they need to do is increase the number of modules (which for all we know can be made smaller).

ILETRIC said:
ALF said:
they are all mythical beast...
Not Bolt. It has a shown pre-prod model and set timetable of fall of 2016 (say October?).

I'm prepared to place a bet that I can't buy a Chevy Bolt in Washington State that gets 200 miles in range for $35,000, by the end of 2015.

ALF said:
I'm prepared to place a bet that I can't buy a Chevy Bolt in Washington State that gets 200 miles in range for $35,000, by the end of 2015.
Did you mean to say end of 2016 ? Because, obviously it won't be here this year.

The reports are that manufacturing will start by end of 2016 and the car will be sold in 2017.

BTW, the word is Leaf 2 is still expected in early 2017.

Yes, I DID mean to say the end of 2016. Every time I hear about the Bolt, GM is slipping the date another few months. Now they are saying second half of 2016, which I think means that they will make a dozen of them available in California during December 2016.

BTW, I'm not just singling out Chevy; it looks like all of the manufacturers promising the magic $35K-200mi car over-promised on their arrival in showrooms. I'm just annoyed at myself that I initially bought into the hype.

What should be the terms of the bet? A Nissan Leaf Charging Port Lid Cover? http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1078811_five-official-nissan-leaf-accessories-you-cant-buy-in-the-u-s

ampitupco said:
The BMW is expensive and Kia, VW, and GM do not sell a BEV outside of a few select areas. Not sure they can (or want to) scale up and actually sell their EVs. Actually, at this point it's safe to say they don't want to.
This. For those of us who don't live in the handful of markets where those manufacturers sell BEVs, they are pretty much irrelevant. Nissan's advantage is that they already have LEAF-certified dealers in most areas and can sell nationwide.

ALF said:
Yes, I DID mean to say the end of 2016. Every time I hear about the Bolt, GM is slipping the date another few months. Now they are saying second half of 2016, which I think means that they will make a dozen of them available in California during December 2016.
I don't buy that. If anything they are pulling forward ...

What should be the terms of the bet? A Nissan Leaf Charging Port Lid Cover? http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1078811_five-official-nissan-leaf-accessories-you-cant-buy-in-the-u-s
That's not addressed to me, right ?

Back