Wholesale value of the 2013 Leaf @Auction-March '18

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This month I'm providing the Dealer wholesale auction figures for all three trims levels of the '13 LEAF.

LEAF SL
2013_LEAF_SL_Wholesale_7-23-15.jpg

LEAF SV
2013_LEAF_Sv_Wholesale_7-23-15.jpg

LEAF S
2013_LEAF_S_Wholesale_7-23-15.jpg

And please, no snarky posts about a LEAF S retailing for $25 net summer!

As with any auctioned commodity, supply has an impact on price. What we are starting to see are the large number of cars coming off of 2 year leases which is depressing the wholesale selling prices. This coincides with the efforts of NMAC to offer incentives to the current lease holders to buy out their leases.

For those in the market for a used LEAF this is a great opportunity to pick up a used '13 at a great price. On the flip side those that chose to purchase their '13 LEAFs rather than lease have seen the value of that purchase plummet. This was fully expected for a vehicle that is seeing rapid advances in technology, reliability, and cost reductions.

The Mk2 LEAF is superior to the Mk1 car, as the Mk3 car that will debut in about a year from now be superior to the Mk1 & 2 cars. This is reflected in these current wholesale values.

Thanks for your auction tables. I am deciding between a used 13 and a new 15. Each week it seems that the prices of used ones here in the Bay Area are going down $500 or more. I have ten days til my present lease of a phev is up. Do you see the wholesale prices lowering again?

If the depreciation trend continues next summer will be a good time to pick a used '13 with a pack degraded enough to lose 4 bars in the next 2 years before warranty is up.

Valdemar said:
If the depreciation trend continues next summer will be a good time to pick a used '13 with a pack degraded enough to lose 4 bars in the next 2 years before warranty is up.
That line of thinking doesn't work as well for the 2013 models as they have improved battery. Good for 2010-2012 and perhaps early 2013s. Here is the bay area very few 2013s show loss.

DanCar said:
That line of thinking doesn't work as well for the 2013 models as they have improved battery. Good for 2010-2012 and perhaps early 2013s. Here is the bay area very few 2013s show loss.
Unfortunately many of the 2013 cars for sale here were initially registered in Georgia and I do not wish to buy something from out of state. Many have the SD card missing. It may be simpler for me to lease a 2015.

DanCar said:
Valdemar said:

Well, this hypothesis hasn't been confirmed by experiment, at least in SoCal, there were several reports already of capacity losses very similar to what 11/12 owners have experienced. The speculation about differences between early/late 13 production runs remains, well, a speculation. Even if it's true there will be plenty off lease early 13 cars for sale next summer.

While all batteries degrade over time, the Mk2 LEAF ('13-'15) with the improved battery have not seen anywhere close to the same issues that the '11 and '12 cars had. There will always be outliers in any universe, but a Mk2's traction battery design was improved significantly, and it's durability is quite evident.

Just look at the this forum as evidence. There is nowhere close the number of complaints on the Mk2 that the original LEAF experienced.

OrientExpress said:
...Just look at the this forum as evidence.

Well, I did:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18269&start=80#p428167
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18269&start=40#p425287
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16467&start=20#p370953
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16467&start=20#p372786

OrientExpress said:
Just look at the this forum as evidence. There is nowhere close the number of complaints on the Mk2 that the original LEAF experienced.
I agree there has been less discussion of capacity degradation on 2013 forward.

But there have been reports of degradation similar to 2011.

Lack of discussion could have many causes.
Many 2013 forward LEAF purchasers and leasors knew about the capacity degradation and therefore they don't have much to discuss?

2013 forward being much better needs real data such as was done for 2011 and 2012 with the capacity degradation model comparison to LEAF reported data.

If that type data exists, please advise where it can be found?

EVforRobert said:
Thanks for your auction tables. I am deciding between a used 13 and a new 15. Each week it seems that the prices of used ones here in the Bay Area are going down $500 or more. I have ten days til my present lease of a phev is up. Do you see the wholesale prices lowering again?

If you are worried about running out of time, try asking for a month to month lease extension. They are usually granted.

Empirical data, but we've had 2 2013 leafs.
The first one we leased in May 2013 was several months old. I can't remember, maybe a march or April manufacturing date.
Our second left was built in November.

The first 2013 leafs battery seemed to be degrading very fast. After only 6000 miles we were in the high 80s for battery capacity. I thought for sure we'd lose a bar soon.

The second leaf now has 27,000 miles and is only now getting down to the high 80s, almost 89%. We can still get almost 100 miles from a charge. It seems unlikely that we'll lose a bar this summer. It's hard to tell its actual degradation since we very rarely charge to 100%. Charging to 100% seems to reset calibration and usually bumps up capacity a little.

Well, mine was built in June 2011 and lost it's 1st bar in May 2013 at 33,000 miles. I didn't have LeafSpy or equivalent at the time so let's assume it happened at 85% remaining. By that time it has seen many QC sessions, 2-3 per day on several occasions, and 100 degree ambient temps. I did charge to 80% on the end of charge timer daily. As far as I can tell your 2nd Leaf's battery isn't showing any dramatic improvements compared to mine.

Our MY2013SL has had almost no degredation so far, with over 27,000 miles. It has only dropped about 3 gids in almost 2 years. I hope it keeps up as I would love to purchase it at the end of the lease at a VERY Large discount. After all, we paid an extra $10,000 to get "top of the line" and it would be nice to purchase it for less than the extra we paid for the options.

I decided new would be best and got one. These used cars are a pig in a poke. Between the out of state cars coming in from hot states and the missing SD cards and doctored photos (no bars showing!) I gave up. If I had more time maybe.
I tried online services Beepi and Carlypso but Beepi had all sales pending and the other said their cars were average $2500 less but were full retail or more.

I'm going to give Carlypso a try. Based on the reports on this forum the prices listed on their website are rather conservative, which is how I would do it if I was running that kind of a service. Better to under promise and over deliver.

I called NMAC today to ask why I haven't received a bill for the $395 disposition fee for the '13 Leaf SV w/both packages I returned on 7/27/15. I also asked if I owed anything else, to which they said no. They said the car had been sold @ auction and I asked for how much (I guessed $10K to $10.5K). They said it went for about $10.6K (not sure it's before or after auction fees).

It had under 23.5K miles and was built 6/2013. I gave the VIN awhile ago to the used car dealer I used to buy my current Leaf so he could keep on eye on how much it sold for. He sent me the Manheim listing and it mentioned 3 tires were at 6/32" and 1 at 5/32". Manheim gave it a a grade of 4.5 (I believe it's out of 5).

Thanks for continuing to post the auction numbers, this is very interesting to me. It looks like, in general, 2 year old Leafs with 10k to 20k miles are going for $10k to $12k at auction, and you are looking at the SL. I am in year 1 of a 3 year lease on an S with QC. My lease will be up in December 2017, and by then surely the Leaf 2.0 will be out further surpressing resale of MY2015 Leafs. The residual on my car is $12.5k so if this trend continues I'm hoping Nissan will reduce that substantially, and if they do I am likely to buy it. Assuming the battery continues to do well over the next 2+ years.

Back